TigerGalLE

Jun 10, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello out there pool world. I have a 18,000 gallon fiberglass pool. At initial start up they added too much salt so our salt levels are still high. It doesn’t bother us swimming but I’m not sure how much it affects our water balance.

I received my TF-100 testing kit yesterday. My PH had been high and my TA was also higher with my TF-100 kit compared to the kit my pool came with. So I added MA and now my pH is 7.4 and TA is 90. My Calcium hardiness is only 30. What should I do? I’ll attach an image of all my numbers.

My pool water is crystal clear. It got a bit slippery last week so I felt Algae was coming. I upped my chlorine generator to 40% last week and we run the pump for 10 house a day during the day.
Any and all advice welcomed.

Attachments

• 155F0BA1-A6F6-4150-A8FE-D9DE92D0A9F5.jpeg
    155F0BA1-A6F6-4150-A8FE-D9DE92D0A9F5.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 2C663DC1-0FA6-4F73-AC39-56653E3A618D.png
    2C663DC1-0FA6-4F73-AC39-56653E3A618D.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: TigerGalLE
Also, check your pool setup in Poolmath. Be sure you have selected Fiberglass and Salt.

Welcome fellow FG pool owner! I finally paid attention to my CH this year. I was at around 70. I added calcium chloride and got it up to 170. While not as important in our pools as other types, I worry about etching the cement around my pool. I have already had some degradation and will need to address my pool decking in the next couple of years.

I love my FG pool!

The main function of calcium in the water of a fiberglass pool is to reduce the chance of staining. Primarily Cobalt staining.

You add CYA via the sock method. Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster.

Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

I like to premix the calcium chloride in a 5 gallon bucket before pouring into the deep in. If you do it that way I highly suggest not stirring with your hand, that stuff gets hot!

Also remember, when adding chemicals to make sure your pump is running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the forum!
Great job on getting a quality test kit!
I would recommend you do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight, if possible. If you pass that test, then you need to raise your CYA to 70 ppm. I would also suggest you add some calcium. It is good practice to have some CH in the water for a fiberglass pool.
See What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks so much. My FC was 4.5 at night and 4.5 the next morning. I’ve got the calcium and CYA in the way. I can actually already tell my pool deck is suffering from my calcium level being SO low. Glad I found this website!!!

Ok so I added CYA and my number is now 70. Yay! I added about 10lbs of CH and it brought my CH to 150. I want to add more but it also brought my pH down to 7.2 (from 7.6). Should I go ahead and add it and then deal with pH? TA is 100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.