First time with algae. SLAM process seems scary, help needed

Will it help at all to lower phosphates in the pool? Or should I worry about that later once the algae problem is fixed?
No-

no reason to worry about it later either so long as you maintain adequate fc for your cya going forward
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: IceShadow
It was a loss of 6 ppm overnight. So I guess I have a ways to go yet.
Yep - keep it going, and try to find anywhere that algae could hide. Inside ladders, niches behind removable lights, the skimmer throat, back of the weir door or the foam on it in the skimmer, etc. Gotta scrub those out and let the SLAM level chlorinated water get everywhere in them. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to bring it up to 30 on the chlorine for a few days but looks like the algae is finally gone! I hope! I let the chlorine come back down to 4.00. So I tested PH and showing 7.8. I add the usual amount of muriatic acid, still 7.8. Add twice as much as I normally do, still 7.8. And a third time, still 7.8. My pools likes to run high on PH but normally the MA brings it right down. Is this a side effect of slamming?

Also, when the chlorine got under 10 I tried using my regular comparison block to measure chlorine and it showed 1 which I knew couldn't be right. I used the FAS-DPD kit and it was 6.00. I've been testing the chlorine level using both kits and they never match up. Right now, the comparison block shows barely any chlorine, the test is only the faintest pink but the FAS-DPD test reads 4.00. Do the chemicals get old or expire? I'm not sure what to make of that.

My pools likes to run high on PH but normally the MA brings it right down. Is this a side effect of slamming?
No, it is your TA. If you pool likes 7.8, leave it there.

Also, when the chlorine got under 10 I tried using my regular comparison block to measure chlorine and it showed 1 which I knew couldn't be right. I used the FAS-DPD kit and it was 6.00. I've been testing the chlorine level using both kits and they never match up. Right now, the comparison block shows barely any chlorine, the test is only the faintest pink but the FAS-DPD test reads 4.00. Do the chemicals get old or expire? I'm not sure what to make of that.
Comparison block basically tell you if you have chlorine, FAS-DPD tells you how much. Chemicals do get old. What is the date on the reagent?

Isn't 7.8 too high for PH ?
Nah. Anything in the 7s is fine. Here is what happens. With a TA between 60-80, your pH will likely sit at 7.6, 7.8 maybe 7.9 or 8 and not rise much. If you have high TA, your pH tends to rise. So best course of action is to let pH rise to 8, then reduce with Muriatic. That will reduce TA and pH. After some number of cycles, your pH and TA will be in equilibrium. Different in each pool, but 60-80 TA and pH 7.6-8 and pH won't rise anymore.

So...let you pH rise to 8.0. Reduce to 7.6. Rinse and repeat, when the number of days it takes to rise to 8 slows, and your TA is 60-80, then let pH sit where it likes...7.6? 7.8? even 8...

Nah. Anything in the 7s is fine. Here is what happens. With a TA between 60-80, your pH will likely sit at 7.6, 7.8 maybe 7.9 or 8 and not rise much. If you have high TA, your pH tends to rise. So best course of action is to let pH rise to 8, then reduce with Muriatic. That will reduce TA and pH. After some number of cycles, your pH and TA will be in equilibrium. Different in each pool, but 60-80 TA and pH 7.6-8 and pH won't rise anymore.

So...let you pH rise to 8.0. Reduce to 7.6. Rinse and repeat, when the number of days it takes to rise to 8 slows, and your TA is 60-80, then let pH sit where it likes...7.6? 7.8? even 8...
Good advice, thank you!

and pH won't rise anymore.
to be accurate, the pH rise will slow to the point it is manageable...some pools, the pH will not rise. Areas with High TA fill water and high evaporation rates may need to add muriatic quite frequently. You have high evap rates. Do you have a solar cover (likely not)? Test your fill water for pH, TA and CH. Report back...

You haven't shared your logs. PoolMath, home page, gear in upper right, scroll to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP. Make sure you are using the same login as TFP...

Reactions: Mdragger88
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Reactions: sunny_az
to be accurate, the pH rise will slow to the point it is manageable...some pools, the pH will not rise. Areas with High TA fill water and high evaporation rates may need to add muriatic quite frequently. You have high evap rates. Do you have a solar cover (likely not)? Test your fill water for pH, TA and CH. Report back...

You haven't shared your logs. PoolMath, home page, gear in upper right, scroll to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP. Make sure you are using the same login as TFP...
No solar cover.

PH = 8.0
TA = 100
Ch = 4.00

We're having a pool party today. 8-10 swimmers. I'm going to add more chlorine now to get it higher. Should I do muriatic acid later tonight after the party?

Yes, is Ch your FC? Get that up to 10ppm with liquid chlorine. You will have high demand...you can even test during the day and add more to keep it up. 5-10 minute break is plenty time for it to mix. I'd get the pH down to 7.6 for the party, will be better on folks. Need 30 minutes for muriatic to mix before swim. Add chlorine and muriatic at least 15 minutes apart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.