First Time User of TF 100

May 16, 2017
Clifton Park, NY
2nd year with our new pool. Followed your advice and decided to start testing for myself and bought TF 100. (HS Chemistry wasn't that bad, after all.) So after a few goes, I think I have the testing down. And, I just want to double check my plan.

Pool company opened the pool a couple of weeks ago. My last test with the was 5 days ago. Followed their instructions "broadcasted" about 7 lbs of dry stabilizer. (Yeah - I know, should've used the sock method - which they never heard of.) Anyway - as of yesterday there was still a bunch on the bottom - and started to get concerned about the effect on my dark blue vinyl line. So, we vacuumed it up with the robot. (Thankfully doesn't look like any fading) Chlorine has been running a little high - holding at 8 for the past few days - so I turned off the SWG yesterday morning.

This mornings readings;

Water Temp 61 (Nasty here yesterday)
FC 8.0 - no change from yesterday, but not much sun either.
CC 0.5
CH 250
TA 80
CYA 40
Ph 7.5

So, couple of questions...

1. I am thinking I should leave the SWG off until we get down to the FC of around 3.0. And, then I should test again, add stabilizer to increase CYA to 70-80. Right?

2. How long do you think it will take for FC to drop to right level? Next few days are sunny and low 70's.

3. Also, Poolmath tool says I should add 24 oz calcium chloride. CH seems to be in range however, so do you think this step is necessary? If so, should I do that now?

4. How do you know what order to add chemicals? Pool store also gave a specific order when adding more than one.

5. Salt 3370 (according to pool store last week. My SWG reads level is good.). Pool math says to add 31lbs salt. Is the necessary, or should I rely on the SWG meter?

HI there

The first question I would ask is what does your water look like. Are we starting with a crystal clear pool with those numbers or a bit of cloudiness with a tiny bit of algae?

If you have a vinyl pool, you shouldn't have to concern yourself with the calcium number on the lower side.

Your actually looking pretty good as is.

Assuming your pool water is nice and clear, you just want to work your CYA up now and keep your FC as per the FC/CYA chart. Just get a feel for what your SWG is producing and make any necessary adjustments. You also don't really want to let your FC drop to 3 which is starting to get to the dicey end of an algae outbreak.

You have a vinyl pool so you don't need to add any calcium. And from how the rest of your numbers are reading there isn't much else to do.

If the SWG is happy producing chlorine then your good but you can purchase the K-1766 which is the recommended add-on test kit for testing salt levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.