First time use

Staellio

Mar 24, 2021
Illinois
Hello, we have just completed our new build and the kids are dying to swim. The PB put a gallon of liquid chlorine in yesterday and today a different worker shocked it again and put Algecide in. They said wait until tomorrow to swim but when I test the water the chlorine level is coming back at 0. (Aqua check strips stark white for chlorine) I know I need to get a better tester but we are just starting out and I’m already confused. Is there truly not any chlorine in my pool even after being shocked twice? What will happen if we swim now? The water is clear, we just filled it two days ago when fresh hose water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 😊

The FC could be 0, or very very high. Both will give that result on a test strip. You need a proper test kit.
What type of pool is this? Please add more detail to your signature.

What else has been added to the pool water?

If no CYA has been added (chlorine granules, tablets, etc) then the FC is likely zero. You do not show what volume the pool is, but I am guessing 16000 gallons. One gallon of 'shock' would add about 7 ppm FC. With no CYA, that would be essentially gone in 4-5 hours of sun shining on the pool.
You show a SWCG. Is it operating?\
Please add more detail to your signature.

Sorry about that… SWG is not up and running so we are using manual chlorine. There is a floater in the pool with tablets they just put in today. Pool is 15x32 inground but I’m not sure how many gallons. We don’t smell a strong chlorine smell so I’m guessing it’s more like 0 rather than so high.

Likely 0. If your children wish to swim, let them. If they have irritated eyes, it is likely due to poor pH control.

You really need your own kit.

What type of pool is this? Plaster, fiberglass, or vinyl?

Sorry about that… SWG is not up and running so we are using manual chlorine. There is a floater in the pool with tablets they just put in today. Pool is 15x32 inground but I’m not sure how many gallons. We don’t smell a strong chlorine smell so I’m guessing it’s more like 0 rather than so high.
Staellio, when your water chemistry is right, you won't have "chlorine smell"...ever.

So I’m still getting 0 chlorine reading unless I test water right next to the floater. The PH seems high and so does the alkalinity. We are supposed to have pool school next week with the builder but in the meantime should I shock again or just wait it out? Water is crystal clear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.