First time test results

efmoran7

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2017
Florida
Ok I got my test kit last night and as soon as I had enough light to do the test accurately this is what I got :)

We have been doing pool store run around and chlorine forever so I am very excited to get this pool soup taken care of.

Our main issue is algae but with brushing and chlorine it is almost gone except for some in the corners and small amount on deep end wall. I will pick up a corner brush today.

I have been adding chlorine and brushing daily except for yesterday.

FC - 0
Ph - 8.0
TA - 120
Ch - 150
CYA - 0

So according to pool math

Chlorine - 2 gal, 1 cup of chlorine of 12% pool store chlorine
Ph - 25 oz Muriatic Acid
TA - ?
Ch - 195 oz of Calcium Chloride
CYA - 64oz or 4 lbs of CYA ( I am going to start with 3 lbs then test again this p.m.)

Ok so I read that CH should not be adjusted the same day as other chemicals so I will adjust chemicals and it is a very cloudy day so do CYA and Chlorine asap along with brush and vacuum is my plan and will pick up muriatic acid and Calcium Chloride when I run errands today.

When should I rinse filter again, I have a new filter but don't want to put it in until the pool is somewhat in balance.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ok so since I am not well versed I just want to clarify (hopefully)

Get my CYA up and just work on chlorine (SLAM) don't worry about ph ect? until SLAM done?

According to video on SLAM I need to adjust my PH?

Thank you

Ok I am excited to report that I vacuumed added CYA and Chlorine, ran my errands and came home to gasp......a better looking pool!!!

Corners were looking lighter and when I swept I saw stuff kicking up! I am going to get crazy and vacuum, test and rinse my filter as soon as the darn rain stops. We have been in a drought so happy for rain but want to work on the pool, never ever, ever thought I would say that!!!

I did adjust PH but waiting on CH

I am going to have to leave town for a couple days to go play with my horse on Saturday so I intend on doing some chemical testing training with hubby to keep SLAM up.

Probably silly question but is there an idea with light algae how long SLAM should take?

This morning numbers, consult pretty please

FC 16.5
CC .5
Ph 7.6 Whoo hoooo
TA 140
CH I didn't do this today until done with SLAM
CYA 40 YIPPEE!!!
Temp 80

So Yellow is almost gone but according to chart I need to raise to 24 so I will add just under Gal of chlorine and leave the rest alone, somehow I missed the Yellow chart and just happened to see a flash of the recommendation on the pool math chart

Thank you

From what I know about pH and chlorine, if your CL level is over 10 your pH reading will be wack. Just keep working on your slam and you can fix the pH when you're done. Your SLAM will probably be over in a day or two if pool is pretty clear.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes thank goodness for the rain! :snorkle:

You can wait until Pool is clear, but be sure to test your CC as well. A clear pool is just 1 of the 3 criteria for passing a SLAM. Other two are CC less than 0.5 and OCLT less than 1. You can wait until Pool is clear to perform the other two, but just wanted to make sure you know to keep SLAM even if pool is clear until you pass all 3.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You can wait until Pool is clear, but be sure to test your CC as well. A clear pool is just 1 of the 3 criteria for passing a SLAM. Other two are CC less than 0.5 and OCLT less than 1. You can wait until Pool is clear to perform the other two, but just wanted to make sure you know to keep SLAM even if pool is clear until you pass all 3.

Thank you :)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Out of town question

Can I have my people sweep and add 1 gallon of chlorine daily until I can get back to it Monday evening?

I can test and do a overnight FC test then

Having someone add daily is good idea to pause your SLAM and not have your pool get worse while you're away.

Do you know how much your pool is losing each day right now? For your size pool 1 gallon of 8.25% will raise your FC by 7.1ppm of FC a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.