First time SLAM and very impatient wife!!!

May 29, 2018
Chicago, IL
First Post... Been lurking a while... Learning.... About a month ago we started chasing chlorine in our 11000 Ga fiberglass pool. We were using a test kit my wife bought 2 years ago at Leslies. We have an automatic chlorine "puck" feeder that we were using and keeping filled. Since we constantly had no chlorine in the pool... we were throwing pucks at the pool like crazy.. we kept the feeder full... added some to skimmer basket... added some to our floater... etc. Finally we brought a sample to The Great Escape and was told that our CYA was 155. They recommended either a water swap or a "new" chemical treatment that would cost a couple hundred dollars. I did some research on the chemical treatment and found that it is not very effective so I opted for the water swap. Did 3 separate 18" or so water swaps. Brought the water back to The Great Escape and was told our CYA was 5. Added a couple pounds of CYA in the sock method and went up to 30 under my test. At this time... Leslies tested and told me it was at 50. I was still chasing chlorine.. basically the test kit showed chlorine of 0. I was afraid of throwing more pucks at the pool and found this site. Thinking that my test kit was bad (old) and needing a FAS-DPD test anyway... I ordered the TF-100 kit as recommended for the SLAM. I forgot to mention... that my water is and was always crystal clear this entire time. so clear... I can tell heads or tails on a quarter in the deep end. I am in day 4 of the SLAM and don't feel like I am making any progress. I have searched everywhere for algae. No removable steps... (molded steps). No organic material in pool whatsoever. Doing the test gives varying results. My CC seems to fluctuate between 1.0 and 0. I have switched to liquid chlorine 12.5% from Menards (20gal) in so far...just finished my last gallon of 12.5% and now I have 20 gallons of 10% from Rural King in the garage. Since starting the SLAM... I have kept the safety cover off the pool. I have 1 light (pentair globrite) that I don't see any growth when looking at it. I don't have the tool to remove the light itself so can't check behind. Any ideas?? The wife (very impatient jersey girl) is killing me. I have tested the water so much that I am about to run out of powder and 0871 drops and my refill from TFKits will be here on Saturday. HELP..

Welcome to the forum!
If your water is crystal clear, have you done a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Please post a full set of test results from the TF100. A picture of the pool water clarity would be nice too. Welcome to TFP.

Just got home and tested.
11:20pm
FC 15.5
CC .5
TA 100
CH 375 tested twice. Was 300 2 days ago
CYA 40
PH N/A
Will retest at 5am when I leave for work

Last night was 14.5 @ 10pm
This morning was 8.0 @ 4:30am
Loss of 6.5

Night before was 14.5 @ 10:10pm
Yesterday Morning was 7.0 @ 5am
Loss of 7.5

I guess that’s a little progress.
I attached pics of the pool to show clarity. Unfortunately it’s night time. But you can still clearly see the bottom. I’ll have my son take daytime pics tomorrow and will post.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 84742BE2-E25D-4E8B-9F23-905469B57591.jpeg
    84742BE2-E25D-4E8B-9F23-905469B57591.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 7B696F12-BFC3-4E4C-A201-FEBCD066B907.jpeg
    7B696F12-BFC3-4E4C-A201-FEBCD066B907.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 5D14070A-FB41-4501-98A4-099F74D22F51.jpeg
    5D14070A-FB41-4501-98A4-099F74D22F51.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 44
  • 6E75AA7E-5333-4AB1-B468-164A8AEACA6A.jpeg
    6E75AA7E-5333-4AB1-B468-164A8AEACA6A.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 86D4C1EE-2FF3-4C95-A63D-6A562E97DD8F.png
    86D4C1EE-2FF3-4C95-A63D-6A562E97DD8F.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 37BF7BE8-B818-4149-B93C-36670A622C83.jpeg
    37BF7BE8-B818-4149-B93C-36670A622C83.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 42
The OCLT is better done below FC 10 with 25ml sample for better resolution. Also let FC drop below 10 so you can measure PH, everything else looks good to me, might be testing error, make sure you re-read testing instructions. Do you have a speedstir?

Did you recently add any product other than bleach to your pool, i.e. algaecide?
If your CYA is 40, than your SLAM target is 16 FC.
After you test in the morning, do you bring FC back to 16?
How much FC you are loosing from 5am to 10pm?
EDIT: Just checked your logs. Seems like you been battling this issue for a month or so but you weren't as dedicated as in last 4 or 5 days.
Every slip-up you had probably set you back, so in reality it's been only a few days of SLAM.
Stay on it, test often and make sure your CYA is 40, not higher. Do that test on sunny day, outside as per Extended Test Kit Directions - CYA

Last edited:
its a beautiful pool! Tell the wife to go swimming.....but you can continue to work on this too. I just hate hearing that people mistakenly think they can't swim during a SLAM process.

You can swim safely up to the SLAM level necessary. WHen the swimmers get out... re-test and dose again!

Maddie :flower:

I finally convinced her its safe to swim after showing her several posts saying so..
The OCLT is better done below FC 10 with 25ml sample for better resolution. Also let FC drop below 10 so you can measure PH, everything else looks good to me, might be testing error, make sure you re-read testing instructions. Do you have a speedstir?

Yes.. I have the speed-stir... bought it with the TF100. what an awesome invention. I highly recommend it.

Did you recently add any product other than bleach to your pool, i.e. algaecide?
found out that my wife was "helping me" by adding 8oz of an algaecide. It was a couple days ago

Just checked your logs. Seems like you been battling this issue for a month or so but you weren't as dedicated as in last 4 or 5 days.
Yeah.. Had to wait for my TF100 to arrive to really attack it and start SLAM... have to slow down my testing the next two days until my refill of 0870 and 0871 arrives on Saturday from TFKits.

Last nights readings at 11pm were 15.5FC and .5CC
This morning at 4:37am was 9.5FC and .5 CC
so appears to be a loss of 6 overnight.

will do the 25ml test once more my refill arrives on Saturday.

couple pics I had my kid send me this morning showing the clarity.

Attachments

• 58514258997__37BC4786-787E-407B-8357-8935623FDCF2.JPEG
    58514258997__37BC4786-787E-407B-8357-8935623FDCF2.JPEG
    294 KB · Views: 56
  • 58514260051__A4E908CB-8108-4493-8A52-B4A8286DDEFF.JPEG
    58514260051__A4E908CB-8108-4493-8A52-B4A8286DDEFF.JPEG
    362.3 KB · Views: 56
Please..... explain to the wife that her use of side potions can have detrimental effects on the pool itself if she's using some copper based algaecide without telling you!!
Fiberglass pools and copper algaecides make for some horrible stains. If its going to be a problem with other pools, it will be twice as bad on fiberglass.

Tell her to trust the process. Have her sit and read some Pool School too :)

But no more unnecessary algaecides, please!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully it's sooner than later... going on vacation for 2 wks on the 25th. Have someone staying at the house while we are gone... but not sure I can count on them to continue SLAM while Im gone... I will have them add liquid chlorine everyday though.. need to figure out a maintenance dose though.. UGH..

If it were me, I'd have them leave the cover open and pour 1/2 jug of LC in daily. Yeah, a bit over kill, but since you are in the middle of a SLAM it may improve things or at least hold them stable. Our pools are identical almost.

Now... if there were not going to be anyone home to add LC, I'd take it up to SLAM level, close it up tight, keep the pump running a couple hours per day and hope for the best.

I've been able to go on vacations and be gone for up to 17 days (pool closed, pump and SWG running a bit daily) and return to a spotless, clear and clean pool.

I hear you.. I like the 1/2 jug daily... I do have an automatic "puck" feeder that has been turned off since this whole CYA mess started... do you think it would be wise to turn it back on in addition while gone? going to ditch the pucks in the future... unless need to add CYA. Bleach from now on!!!

Me? Personally? Oh gosh no! ( <--censored self what I was really saying out loud :mrgreen: )

I'd forget I had those pucks for the year.... unless you really, *really* can afford to get more CYA in the water. Remember they give you almost as much CYA as they do FC. Oy Vey!

Me? Personally? Oh gosh no! ( <--censored self what I was really saying out loud :mrgreen: )

I'd forget I had those pucks for the year.... unless you really, *really* can afford to get more CYA in the water. Remember they give you almost as much CYA as they do FC. Oy Vey!

Pucks??? what Pucks??? I don't know what your talking about ... Pucks??? see...it worked...

If the algaecide has an ammonia component it could have eaten up some of the FC. Let's see how it goes. The FC is fighting something if you're losing 5ppm overnight....

Not sure that’s it… I’ve been losing massive amounts overnight since well before the algicide was dropped in. But looking back through my logs… I’m losing a little less every night so progress is definitely being made.

Fast7 — I see you’re in Plainfield… I’m actually not too far away from you… Yorkville. — Howdy neighbor.

Reactions: IceShadow
Fast7 — I see you’re in Plainfield… I’m actually not too far away from you… Yorkville. — Howdy neighbor.
Hi chubrok! Nice to see more people with pools in the neighborhood. Let me know if you going to need a hand with something.

Whatever it is in your water, chlorine will burn thru it. Just make sure you keep your FC at SLAM level as much as practical.
Remeber that you will always loose some FC during daytime due to sun activity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.