First Time Shocking with Bleach

Jerry Lee

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
After struggling every summer to keep my pool clear, I'm ecstatic I've found this site to help me. Hopefully you guys will be patient with me until I get the hang of it, but here goes nothin'.......

FC- 3
CC- 3
Ph- 7.2
TA- 120
CH- 140
CYA- 60
Water color is blue-green and slightly cloudy with no visible algae on the walls or floor.

These results are from Leslie's and I have a TF-100 on the way. Using the calculator, I'm assuming I need to get FC to 18ppm to begin the shock process. The calculator says I'll need 778 oz. of 6% bleach.

Here are the questions... should I raise the ph and/or Ch before adding the bleach? What are the possibilities I'll be finished with the shock process and have FC back down to swimmable figures by Sunday?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Leave the PH alone. You can add some CH before you start shocking, or wait, just don't add any during shocking.

It would be good to double check that CC reading. I don't totally trust any pool store test results.

If things go well you could easily be swimming by the weekend, but there isn't enough information here to really be sure. CC will often go away very quickly, but it isn't clear where the CC came from, and some possibilities there could lead to complications.

ok got my tf100 a few days ago and am now ready to go....

CYA- 48
FC- .5
CC- 1.5
PH- 7.2
TA- 120
CH-230

So using the Chlorine/ CYA chart I'll be shocking my pool to 20 FC (rounding up from 48) using 1011 oz. of 6% Bleach. How often should I test after the initial dosing of bleach?

Bleach is in... BTW here's a pic... pool is clear with a slight green tint to it.

[attachment=0:321s17l2]1st pool pic.jpg[/attachment:321s17l2]

Hey! Why'd my hose come off of the Polaris?

Attachments

• 1st pool pic.jpg
    1st pool pic.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 1,891
Jerry Lee said:
ok got my tf100 a few days ago and am now ready to go....

CYA- 48
FC- .5
CC- 1.5
PH- 7.2
TA- 120
CH-230

So using the Chlorine/ CYA chart I'll be shocking my pool to 20 FC (rounding up from 48) using 1011 oz. of 6% Bleach. How often should I test after the initial dosing of bleach?
I predict a quick victory. You have the test kit, the understanding, and the pool calculator. :goodjob:

Check it in an hour, see how much FC you lost and how much you need to add to replenish it. Then adjust the interval so you keep it within 3 of the target.

Don't forget to brush, that knocks the skin off any slimy algae on the walls. And toss any pool toys or tools in for a soak - get it all.

ok 1 hour later I have...

CYA- 35
FC- 3.5
CC- 10.5
PH- 7.2
TA- 120
CH- 230

Still aiming for that 20 FC. Should I hit it again with 855 oz. of 6% ? And do I need to keep testing for TA & CH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, please post lots of pics, cause yours is going to be a good one when it's done.

Now, to the bad news. Huge drop in FC and huge increase in CCs in that short of a time means lots of nitrogen in the pool, likely ammonia. Prepare yourself for lots and lots of bleach. This thread is a good example of how this might go. My point is not to scare you, but to prepare you.

Add the bleach, and test again in another hour.

Jerry Lee said:
And do I need to keep testing for TA & CH?

No. Shock levels of chlorine won't change them, so save the reagents until you're done. You can also stop checking pH until you're done as well. The test is inaccurate at high FC levels, and it also won't change enough during the process to worry about. It was fine when you started, so you can assume it will stay fine until you're done.

Yikes!!!! I'll try to take a picture after each test. I guess I'm on my way back to Costco well.
[attachment=0:3a3u2km5]2nd pool pic.jpg[/attachment:3a3u2km5]

By the way, to the right of this picture is my empty dive stand and a broken 10' S.R. Smith diving board next to it.

Attachments

• 2nd pool pic.jpg
    2nd pool pic.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,813
I found that 10% at Meijer is cheaper than 6% clorox at Sam's Club.

Try checking around for the best price since you will be using lots of chlorine. Think if you were to go in to a pool store, here try this $XXX worth of chemicals..

(it's actually not that expensive :mrgreen: )

We like it when people win the battle against junk in the pool. Keep at it, and I'm sure you will have a lot of people rooting you on.

Keep it above 20!! The less often it drops below that, the faster this process will take.

If you ever have doubts, reread that thread I linked above, or better yet, pm Johnny-M directly.

Test #4

CYA-55
FC-2.5
CC-11
Is it normal for the CYA to be moving around so much?

[attachment=0:647skukb]4th pool pic.jpg[/attachment:647skukb]

Attachments

• 4th pool pic.jpg
    4th pool pic.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,771
I can assure you, it's been all...
[attachment=0:2de769gp]clorox.jpg[/attachment:2de769gp]
I'll just stick with 20 being my shock level. I'm glad I bought the XL tf-100.

Attachments

• clorox.jpg
    clorox.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,321
Jerry Lee said:
I can assure you, it's been all...
file.php

I'll just stick with 20 being my shock level. I'm glad I bought the XL tf-100.
You ain't got nuthin' on this guy!

file.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.