First Time Shocking with Bleach

How does a pool like this get so screwed up in the first place?
It seems with reasonable care, this shouldn't happen.

I sure hope so. I've had my pool for a year,,,,,,,,,i'm only here 5 months.....but its clear everyday.
I hope to never have to deal with this kind of mess.
:D

How does a pool like this get so screwed up in the first place?
It seems with reasonable care, this shouldn't happen.

I sure hope so. I've had my pool for a year,,,,,,,,,i'm only here 5 months.....but its clear everyday.
I hope to never have to deal with this kind of mess.
:D

Ed,

I have this problem almost every year that I open my pool. There are a few known causes (bacteria converting CYA to ammonia, accidentally putting fertilizer in the pool) and some unknown causes.

To minimize problems upon opening, one can close the pool when the water is as cold as possible, preferably below 50ºF, and open in spring before the water warms up above 50ºF. If one then does at least a half-shock upon closing and covers the pool, the chlorine may last through the winter preventing bacteria and algae from growing. Some additionally use Polyquat during closing in case the chlorine gets used up (Polyquat lasts longer and doesn't get broken down by the UV in sunlight). This post gives the recommendation from Buckman Labs (makers of Polyquat) for closing pools.

Sorry I didn't see that the problem was upon opening the pool. I can see that a pool that is closed can have all sorts of bad things happen .
p
fortunately......my pool is operated all year, even though I'm not here. I have a pool service that seems to do pretty well
as at least the pool was clear and clean when I arrived back in florida last week.

we'll see ......glad to see that disasters can be fixed with the TPF process.

Ed.

To minimize problems upon opening, one can close the pool when the water is as cold as possible, preferably below 50ºF, and open in spring before the water warms up above 50ºF. If one then does at least a half-shock upon closing and covers the pool, the chlorine may last through the winter preventing bacteria and algae from growing. Some additionally use Polyquat during closing in case the chlorine gets used up (Polyquat lasts longer and doesn't get broken down by the UV in sunlight). This post gives the recommendation from Buckman Labs (makers of Polyquat) for closing pools.

Just to 2nd what chem geek said, I think closing when cooler and shocking a day or two before closing helps me a lot. Also having one of those floating canisters with pucks loaded in it seems to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.