First time replacing Hayward Super Pump Motor

krisiak11

Silver Supporter
Jul 31, 2017
Archbald, PA
Hey all, with how loud my current pool motor is, I have decided to replace it after 4 years. I could have removed and attempted to repair it, but I found a replacement motor for $210.00 (Pool Store selling same motor for $360.00 btw) so that seemed like fairly reasonable fix. My one question, I have watched many videos on it- only one of them suggests "shorting the capacitor" prior to removing the impellar. My electrician friends say don't short it, no need to. Wondering if anyone has any epertise on this?

21,000 Gallon Cardinal In-ground Pool / Liner / Purechlor Saltwater (40,000)
Hayward Pro 110000 BTU Electric Heater
Dolphin Nautilus Plus / TF100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir
Install Video: Backyard Transformation - YouTube

Since you are changing the entire motor, I don't see why you would need to short it to dissipate any retained energy. You will be securing the motor shaft from the rear as you remove the impeller. Perhaps that was an extra precaution noted in that one video in fear that a screwdriver or wrench might bump a cap's terminals during that process?

Since you are changing the entire motor, I don't see why you would need to short it to dissipate any retained energy. You will be securing the motor shaft from the rear as you remove the impeller. Perhaps that was an extra precaution noted in that one video in fear that a screwdriver or wrench might bump a cap's terminals during that process?
I notice with this particular model, the capacitor is commonly unscrewed and moved off to the side so that you can fit the wrench to secure the shaft so that you can twist the impellar off. Maybe for that reason?

Maybe for that reason?
Perhaps. The cap may have a protective cover/wrap around it to shield the terminals. Once unscrewed, it may be so far out of the way it's not an issue. But use your good judgement. Shorting the terminals is easy if you have a good insulated tool.

Reactions: krisiak11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.