First time poster! First time Pool! Houston, TX

robhalv1

Feb 19, 2020
Cypress, TX
Hello all,

Need some advice and/or opinions. Getting close to finalizing deal but want to make sure I'm not missing anything with equipment/design, etc. The costs were much higher than I expected so I am not getting everything I wanted (i.e. additional outdoor living space) so I want to make sure I get the most I can with the pool, design, etc. and can add the outdoor structure later.

Dimensions
Width = 20'
Length = 40"
Depth = 4' 5' 6'
Spa = 8' x 8'
Tanning Ledge = 11' x 14'

Equipment
Pump = Jandy VS Plus Pump Variable Speed 2.7 THP 130 gpm at 50 ft. (Includes required GFCI Breaker)
Filter = Cartridge 580 sq.ft. max flow 150 gpm
Lighting = Jandy Watercolor 12V. LED Pool Light 100' (2), Nicheless LED 12v 24 watts light (1), 300 Watt Transformer (1), Water Bonding Nicheless Light
Automation = I-Q904 Pool Spa I-Aqualink
Heater = 400,000 BTU GAS Heater and non corrosive check valve

Sanitizers
Inline Chlorinator
Bioshield UV
Sodium Tetra borates

Cleaners
Polaris 280 Automatic Pool Cleaner with Booster Pump Electric

Finishes
Interior Surface = Pebble Sheen
Decking/Coping = Travertine Pavers

Please let me know if I should be looking at any other details closer and any feedback greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pool_dimensions.jpg
    pool_dimensions.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 58
  • pool_1.jpg
    pool_1.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 65
  • pool_2.jpg
    pool_2.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 65
  • pool_3.jpg
    pool_3.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 66
  • pool_4.jpg
    pool_4.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 61
Welcome to TFP! :wave: For an outdoor pool, I would remove the UV for sure. I question the need for the borates as well right now. The inline chlorinator (tabs) is something that will only be used periodically as tabs increase CYA too high over time. So you'll be adding chlorine manually or need to have a salt water generator (SWG) installed. You can install an SWG yourself later, just understand the tabs aren't good for consistent, daily use, and your pool needs chlorine each day. You also have the option of removing the Polaris and separate booster pump for a robot. Your call though.

Yes I would ditch the booster pump and cleaner and go with a robot. They are more efficient, clean better and use less electricity. Also you may want to consider a salt water generator. Pools with auto chlorinators can have cya run too high and then you run into algae problems.

Your proposed equipment setup is pretty similar to mine (see signature). I would definitely delete the booster pump / cleaner and go with an electric robot. The robot will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more versatile, and it’s an independent cleaning system.

Also research SWG systems. It’s pretty darn convenient not having to mess with tablets or the associated issues with managing the high CYA that comes along with them.

Pool looks good!
I will reiterate what the others are saying. You want a robot cleaner and you want a SWG. Robots brush and vacuum where as pressure cleaners just vacuum. Robots also brush up to your waterline tile. Trust everyone here, you’ll want that SWG. Manually dumping bleach in everyday in the summer would suck! Texas summers are brutal.

Also be sure to have a light over your equipment pad. It’s very helpful when you have to check something at night.

If you do not want SWG you can install a Stenner pump to inject liquid chlorine. I have a 15 gallon tank I fill once a month in summer, less in winter. I add my own CYA according to Pool Math & CYA chart, very easy if you follow the TFP way! I have it wired to my ET8 automation so I can adjust run time of Stenner pump dependent on chlorine demand during the different seasons. Since you live in Houston like me that's only 2 seasons you have to worry about, hot & hotter :)
Search Stenner pumps on forum

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.