First time pool startup

Is it normal that I only have to backwash for like 30 seconds for it to be clear? I read 2/3 mins but mine gets clear much quicker. Don’t want to run the 3 mins just to drain the water

Okay I just purchased the kit. Currently filling up the pool (it’s not at skimmer level yet). So when I’m able to actually turn the pool on, while I wait for this test kit. Just throw in up to 5ppm of chlorine? Tabs? Powder?
Mine is Salt water generator...so I only use liquid chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite 12%) for shocking/etc...I dumped 1.5 gallons on it the moment I turned on the pump and started brushing away (fished out all the leaves and debris from the bottom first)...a couple of days and the pool was crystal clear (running pump/filter 24 hours at 90%)...had to back wash the sand filter a couple of times...I started the opening process in April....

Is it normal that I only have to backwash for like 30 seconds for it to be clear? I read 2/3 mins but mine gets clear much quicker. Don’t want to run the 3 mins just to drain the water
It is possible if the filter is not too dirty...I usually go by the head pressure on the pump before I backwash....when the pump hits 8-10 PSI above its normal pressure, that is when I backwash

Is it normal that I only have to backwash for like 30 seconds for it to be clear
It takes as long as it takes to clear. I believe the standard recommendation is assuming a normal filter cycle with lots of time to get the gunk settled deep in the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Third day in a row passing the OCLT. still slamming bc pool is still cloudy. After it gets all clear. How do you maintain the chlorine if you don’t use tabs? You measure the FC every day and add liquid chlorine?

Third day in a row passing the OCLT. still slamming bc pool is still cloudy. After it gets all clear. How do you maintain the chlorine if you don’t use tabs? You measure the FC every day and add liquid chlorine?
In general yes but a lot of us have swcg's to maintain chlorine

Third day in a row passing the OCLT. still slamming bc pool is still cloudy
Awesome. So the algae is dead and it's now a mechanical / filter battle instead of a chemistry battle. You keep the FC up because brushing may expose new layers of algae on the walls, previously protected by the biofilm it grows, but the FC should be much easier to maintain at this point.

No need to OCLT until the water is clear, unless you're curious and just want to. If you fail any of the 3 exit criteria, the SLAM continues. Nothing is gained by failing 2 criteria. :)
You measure the FC every day and add liquid chlorine
After you get to know how your pool responds to that point in the season, you can double dose every other day.

Awesome. So the algae is dead and it's now a mechanical / filter battle instead of a chemistry battle. You keep the FC up because brushing may expose new layers of algae on the walls, previously protected by the biofilm it grows, but the FC should be much easier to maintain at this point.

No need to OCLT until the water is clear, unless you're curious and just want to. If you fail any of the 3 exit criteria, the SLAM continues. Nothing is gained by failing 2 criteria. :)

After you get to know how your pool responds to that point in the season, you can double dose every other day.
Great Ty for the advice. Something about doing it myself makes me feel more accomplished- I can’t imagine if pool company opened. They’d just throw in 10 gallons of chlorine on day one which would probably turn to 0 PPM after a few hours lol

Reactions: Newdude
So after this is all stable and clear pool and slam is done, what’s my recommended chlorine PPM? Not 5 as I’ve read? Or I calculate that based on my CYA on pool math.

my recommended chlorine PPM?
Minimum, plus the expected daily loss from UV at that point in the season (based upon recent tests), *plus* some wiggle room.

Pool Math and the charts have no idea if it's February in North Dakota, or July in Arizona. It's up to you to think, and it's a moving target.

The KEY is to have enough FC to make it free and clear above min until your next dose. Minimum is lava. Do not touch it. Do not get cool looking selfies near it. Stand back and take panoramic shots from a safe distance. Then call the emergency personnel on behalf of all the Millenials who ran up to it for Insta-likes.

If you tell me in August that PoolMath says 3 to 7 is fine and you are, like a 5, I will reach through the internet to slap some sense into you. I will take no joy in it, it's for your own good. :hug:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.