First Time Pool Owner

Hopefully it's okay if I post this here. But woke up to my pool pump not on which isn't usual. Checked power and breakers and everything is good. But my Hayward Super II 1 hp Pump won't turn on. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Make sure you turn off any breakers associated with the pump and turn them back on, if you haven't already. Are there any timers or GFCI outlets on the same circuit? Check those as well. A multimeter on the pump terminals to verify voltage is helpful.

Normally if you hear humming or feel any vibration when the pump turned on is on, it's a faulty capacitor or debris stuck in the impeller.

Has the pump been running noisier prior to this?

Make sure you turn off any breakers associated with the pump and turn them back on, if you haven't already. Are there any timers or GFCI outlets on the same circuit? Check those as well. A multimeter on the pump terminals to verify voltage is helpful.

Normally if you hear humming or feel any vibration when the pump turned on is on, it's a faulty capacitor or debris stuck in the impeller.

Has the pump been running noisier prior to this?

The outlets all seem to work. The pool light turns on and is operated from the same panel. The pump sounded completely normal the last few days. There's water in the pump so I don't believe it ran dry at all. I don't even hear a hum, but I also didn't get close enough. And neighbors acs are all on and loud here in AZ.

Try to be close to the pump when you switch it on. Place your hand on the side to feel for vibration. If you don't feel or hear vibration, the pump motor itself could be burned out. Best bet then is to remove the pump and get a replacement motor installed. If there is a machine shop that services electrical motors or even a pool service in the area that can check it out, that would help. Be sure to turn off the breaker if you remove the pump yourself.

This is a pretty good guide for initial troubleshooting: How To Determine Why a Motor Wont Start or Shuts Off - INYOPools.com

I would say yes to replacement. That's a good run for an AZ pump. The wet end is likely ok to only replace the motor to save a little but a complete pump would be nice too.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and grammar errors!

It's over 10 years old. Does it just make sense to replace it? If it happens to be the motor of course ...

Enrico,

Didn't you say earlier that you have a home warranty that will repair for a $45 service call? This would be your best bet. A new motor is probably needed unless it's your breaker or a thermal overload that's fried (none of these are likely).

I hope this helps.

Chris

PS Great looking pool and classic TFP water quality!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Enrico,

Didn't you say earlier that you have a home warranty that will repair for a $45 service call? This would be your best bet. A new motor is probably needed unless it's your breaker or a thermal overload that's fried (none of these are likely).

I hope this helps.

Chris

PS Great looking pool and classic TFP water quality!!

I did but that's done and over with now. Everything always happens when warranties end.

It's over 10 years old. Does it just make sense to replace it? If it happens to be the motor of course ...

Enrico,

If you end up doing it yourself the motor is pretty easy to replace but you must be knowledgeable with 240 volt single phase. There are several video's on how to do it; it's really easy. If you go this way replace the seal on the pump when you replace the motor. It'll probably last another 5+ years.

I think you asked about a replacement filter a while back... not sure I saw a response. They make single cartridge units now that work great and they're easier to maintain. That said looked to me you could just clean your elements. You can find combs that fit on the end of your hose to clean between the pleats. If you replace the elements I find Unicel to work fine even though they're usually cheaper. Just make sure you have the same surface area as your current cartridges and they fit your housing. I clean mine about every 3 months and I currently have over 2 years on my current filter.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Enrico,

If you end up doing it yourself the motor is pretty easy to replace but you must be knowledgeable with 240 volt single phase. There are several video's on how to do it it's really easy. If you go this way replace the seal on the pump when you replace the motor. It'll probably last another 5+ years.

I think you asked about a replacement filter a while back... not sure I saw a response. They make single cartridge units now that work great and they're easier to maintain. That said looked to me you could just clean your elements. You can find combs that fit on the end of your hose to clean between the pleats. If you replace the elements I find Unicel to work fine even though they're usually cheaper. Just make sure you have the same surface area as your current cartridges and they fit your housing. I clean mine about every 3 months and I currently have over 2 years on my current filter.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm definitely looking in to just ordering a new Hayward Super II pump. Same 1hp. They're going for $340-360. Plumbing will match up too. I won't go replacing my filter just yet since I got that all fixed up.

Enrico,

OK sorry to hear about the warranty... so true! Are you comfortable and knowledgeable with 240 vac single phase? If so, check the voltage at the motor while the power is on at the breaker and the switch is on at the pump motor (not all pumps have a switch at the but some do). If you read the right power then your pump/motor is frozen from a corroded shaft or something is jammed in the impeller... if this is the cause your motor will be humming loud and get very hot. If that's not the case your motor needs to be replaced. If you do it yourself it's definitely worth replacing the motor so long as the pump housing is in good shape (not cracked etc). If you have a tech do it ask them to quote a new pump and a new motor only. For the motor only have them install a new seal on the pump (this should be less than $50 adder)

While your pool isn't circulating add liquid bleach around the edge to maintain FC level and stir as best you can with the manual brush.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Enrico,

OK sorry to hear about the warranty... so true! Are you comfortable and knowledgeable with 240 vac single phase? If so, check the voltage at the motor while the power is on at the breaker and the switch is on at the pump motor (not all pumps have a switch at the but some do). If you read the right power then your pump/motor is frozen from a corroded shaft or something is jammed in the impeller... if this is the cause your motor will be humming loud and get very hot. If that's not the case your motor needs to be replaced. If you do it yourself it's definitely worth replacing the motor so long as the pump housing is in good shape (not cracked etc). If you have a tech do it ask them to quote a new pump and a new motor only. For the motor only have them install a new seal on the pump (this should be less than $50 adder)

While your pool isn't circulating add liquid bleach around the edge to maintain FC level and stir as best you can with the manual brush.

I hope this helps.

Chris

338fa572793a8405449c0da3698a3363.jpg

I'm comfortable with electrical work for sure. I'm going to order a new pump now. Hopefully get it by Wednesday. As you can see. The housing has seen better days and has a little corrosion. The last owners didn't do a great job of taking care of it. Was already in my mind to replace the pad.

Well at least you know! Considering a 2-speed upgrade at all?

ca853d37ceb6aa11932da67111638422.jpg

Might I say the for an AZ pool with 88 degree water and no working pump for 2 days.... that's a pretty sparkling pool.

I actually have a friend that has an old pump that I may use to get me by. He wants $50. It's a pentair. I truly want to go variable speed and add SWG and new filter with a heater but can't really afford that after the home Reno right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.