First time pool owner

Nov 16, 2016
California
Hello,

We have purchased a house inc. an IG pool. The pool is a fiberglass pool, ca. 21 400 gals, 15' x 40', it has Jandy filter model # CL 340, Stealth 1 HP pump, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorine Generator, a Dolphin DX 5 robotic pool cleaner and the pool is filled with well water. We had a pool guy taking care of the pool for a while. Since it didn't' work out, we need to take care of it ourselves. My question is what kit and what chemicals do I need to purchase to keep the pool clean? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP... A great pool resource... :lovetfp:

The most recommended kit is the TF-100.... See here... http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html. I also suggest the Speed Stir as it makes testing so much easier...

The two things that you will need the most are Bleach, or liquid chlorine, and Muriatic Acid (MA). There are a couple of other items, but you will need to test your pool water first, before buying any of them..

Recommend you review the "Pool School" link a the top of this page.

The basic idea of TFP is for you to test your own pool water, and then, using the information found in out Pool School, add only what is necessary to keep your water clean, clear, and safe. No more weekly shocking, no more Pool Store selling you what you don't need. But... it all starts with the right test kit.

Thanks for Posting,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

Great decision to take control of your pool. I second everything Jim mentioned. I like this description of how TFPC works (the first two posts): TFPC for Beginners

The other thing you can do is add a signature including your pool description. It appears on every post and helps the experts here give you the best possible advice. The instructions for how to do this are included in "Read before posting" linked below in my signature.

Good to have you here :)

Think about this.........is this the same pump that has been on the pool before you got there? It worked then so..........

I have a 1.5 hp pump on my above ground pool..........you have a 1 hp pump............My lines would break before yours I would think.

Here are some links you will need when you are starting up a pool.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree that sounds like hogwash looking for a pump sale.

A Jandy Stealth 1 HP pump dead-heads at about 35 PSI. This is the maximum pressure the pump can muster. (dead-heading is when the suction side is full and the discharge side is plugged so no water can flow).

I haven't seen any pool equipment components rated at less than 50 PSI continuous operating pressure (and burst pressure is much higher). PVC pipe, assuming 1.5" schedule 40 pipe, is rated to operate continuously around 200 PSI, with burst pressure well over 800 PSI.

Someone is growing a very long nose which might help them breathe when the smelly pile in front of them gets too big :)

I agree that sounds like hogwash looking for a pump sale.

A Jandy Stealth 1 HP pump dead-heads at about 35 PSI. This is the maximum pressure the pump can muster. (dead-heading is when the suction side is full and the discharge side is plugged so no water can flow).

I haven't seen any pool equipment components rated at less than 50 PSI continuous operating pressure (and burst pressure is much higher). PVC pipe, assuming 1.5" schedule 40 pipe, is rated to operate continuously around 200 PSI, with burst pressure well over 800 PSI.

Someone is growing a very long nose which might help them breathe when the smelly pile in front of them gets too big :)

This post has it all..............knowledge and funnies! Post of the day!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Thanks, all of you for your advice. I thought so. I didn't think that the company who installed the pool would install equipment that will fail so soon. I have one more question. Since it is a salt water pool and the salt cell doesn't work in the winter, I need to check the chlorine levels and can add just regular household bleach without adding more salt?

Thanks, all of you for your advice. I thought so. I didn't think that the company who installed the pool would install equipment that will fail so soon. I have one more question. Since it is a salt water pool and the salt cell doesn't work in the winter, I need to check the chlorine levels and can add just regular household bleach without adding more salt?

Yes, just test and add chlorine/bleach as needed..

How are you testing? You need to know your CYA level in order to determine the amount of chlorine required.

Jim R.

h,

See this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

The higher the CYA the more chlorine you need to make it effective at sanitizing the pool water..

If you have not already done so, I suggest you read our "Pool School" using the link at the top of this page..

Oh!!! Good job of getting a good Test Kit...

Edit... Your really need to keep your FC at the "target level" shown in the chart. The Minimum level is just that.. you never want to go below the min level. So, for a CYA of 50 you want to stay between 7 and 9 ppm and never let it drop below 5 ppm...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.