First Time Pool Owner - Sacramento, CA

So what are you going to name your cleaner??

Hadn't considered it much till you asked. Since it's a Dolphin, I guess Flipper is too obvious.

Though "Little Jerry" has a nice ring to it (Seinfeld reference).

- - - Updated - - -

Love the tile and grout choice!

Thanks! Wish I could take credit, but my wife is the one that's good with color choices.

So just a few updates.... the most important is that my wife veto'd "Little Jerry" as the name for my robot and instead likes Flipper (since it's a Dolphin).

The landscaper (ME!) finally finished all the trenching for drainage and irrigation lines. This pushed back deck-prep for an extra day so that the lines that would go under the deck could be completed. This involved replacing some drainage line in place by the builder and replacing it with some heavier (Sch40) stuff since it will be buried under the deck, and then extending those lines past the edge of the deck.

So after 7 blisters from manually trenching, and tons of purple primer on my hands, the drainage and irrigation is in place.

8 - Irrigation1.jpg

8 - Irrigation2.jpg

8 - Irrigation3.jpg

April 17, 2018 - Deck Prep!

Concrete subcontractor came out to prep the deck. While most of the crew began shoveling dirt into the trenches, we discussed the plan with the lead. The site plan in the permit pack was a a previous version so there were a couple minor changes to brief him on. Additionally, while they are pouring the deck we wanted to add a walkway down the side of the house.

Things look a lot more like a yard and less like a construction site.

9 - Decking1.jpg

9 - Decking2.jpg

9 - Decking2.jpg

9 - Decking3.jpg

The most fun part of this was figuring how to easily add the pool fence since there is a space conflict with the left "wing wall". The plan we came up with was to pour a retaining wall of concrete on the right side to contain that dirt (almost turning the back of the pool into a planter), then extending the deck an additional 6" past the wall to allow for fencing.

9 - Decking4.jpg

Is that the home depot 4" drainage pipe? I also had the pleasure of nearly 300' of that! the best part of that stuff is when you are done and its buried!

Nope! This is 3" Schedule 40 DWV, so it's thicker than the "Sewer and Drain" pipe the builder put in, or the triple-wall pipe you get at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's the same pipe the pool builder uses for the pool plumbing. I had to go to a plumbing supply place to get it.

It might be overkill, but it's going to be buried under concrete so I didn't want any problems. I put in nearly 100' of it, and about 1/2 of that was going into new trenches, which I did by hand with a shovel. I will have some more to do after the deck is finished as I complete the remaining landscaping.

I can't imagine doing 300' of it. If I had that much, I at least would have rented a trencher, if not just paying someone to do the job.

You are moving nicely. Bet you and my hubby could have quite an in-depth conversation about diy plumbing and landscaping! He’s done all ours too and a few choice words have been said and multiple trips to the shop for fittings. He’s pretty much done too. We are just waiting for an electrical and an outdoor tap to go in so we can bury the whole lot.

that's what we as OB do, we tend to be on the safer side. Sounds like some pretty good quality pipe. The triple wall once under dirt should be safe from collapsing but I think you made the best decision. Good Job!

Like I said it looks good so far, keep up the good work!

that's what we as OB do, we tend to be on the safer side!

I didn't go the owner/builder route, but I get what you're saying. I am doing the landscaping to save some money and because a few sprinklers and valves, 300 sq ft of lawn, and shoveling a few yards of bark isn't too difficult.

Plus, by being involved I can put in heavier materials AND I know how its set up. So when things need repair I know exactly what is run and where. (And I'm taking tons of pics to document it all.) I even threw in extra PVC and conduit under the deck just for fun, in case something comes up in the future where I might need it. Pipe is cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After reading another thread (Open letter to Mr. Pool Builder... - Page 2) about cramped equipment pads, it got me thinking about how my equipment should be set up.

At the pad, I have a line for the main drains, a line for each of the 2 skimmers, a single line for the 3 returns that get tee'd under the deck, a single line for the 2 sheer decents (with a valve behind the wall already to balance the flow between them) and a return line for each skimmer since they are venturi skimmers (Renegade Venturi In-Ground Skimmers).

Given this, I assume I want a 3-way valve between the two skimmer suction lines to balance skimming action? And then another 3-way valve between the output of the first to balance the suction of the skimmers versus the main drains?

And then that valves output will go to the pump, to the filter, to the SWCG?

It is the pressure side that has me a bit stumped. I'm also plumbed for a pressure side pool cleaner, which I won't be using but I asked for the plumbing to be in place. (I don't even care if it's just capped off for future use.) If we cap the cleaner line, that still leaves 1 line for the 3 returns, 1 line for the 2 sheers, and 2 lines for venturi skimmer returns.

Any ideas how the pressure side should be plumbed?

I just want to make sure this is done most optimally, even if it means paying the builder for a couple more valves. (Do it right the first time!)

EDIT: And I'm definitely asking him to space things out a bit, even if it means losing a the use of a few more feet of decking.

EDIT 2: I'm not sure what the builders plans are for the pad, so I can't say they won't do it right to begin with. I'm just not familiar enough with this stuff to know if what they are planning is optimal. Since the lines are going through the deck, I'm also going to ask him to leave some room vertically to ease future replumbing. I don't want to find myself tearing up decking to replumb in the future.

EDIT 3: Because I'll have automation (iAqualink), I believe the valve that controls flow to the sheers should be automated to allow for turning them on or off.

EDIT 4: This is a rough idea of the stubbed layout at the pad currently.

Skimmer Return - Skimmer Return - Sheers - Vac - Skimmer - Skimmer - Main Drain

Maybe this will be easier....

Does the picture below look about right? Would there be valves on the 3 different returns (2 venturi skimmer return lines and the pool return line that gets tee'd under the deck)? If so, would it be 3 2-way valves? Or a 3-way to separate the main pool return output vs skimmer return? Further valves on the 2 skimmer returns to adjust flow there?

Or is balancing the output done some other way? On the return "eye" itself?

Maybe I'm overthinking this? LOL

EquipmentLayout.jpg

Familiarized myself with my TF100 test kit by testing the tap water which will be used to fill the pool.

The results look unremarkable though the pH was a bit higher than I expected.

FC - 1.5
pH - 8.2
TA - 60
CH - 50
Salt - between 0 and 66.66 (first drop turned to brick red even after tripling the sample volume)

Yeah, since I was at the top of the pH scale, I wondered how much higher it could be. I even ran the test twice and got my wife to give me her opinion on color match.

pH should be fun since I'm reading that new pools / new plaster tend to run high pH anyway.

I'll test again before fill just to see if there's a difference.

April 18, 2018 - Pre-Deck Inspection - PASSED!

April 23, 3018 - Deck Pour!

Deck poured on April 23, and it needed some time to cure before I could step out and get pics.

Color is 'Premier Beige'. It's tricky to get the exact color in these pictures, and the shadow cast by the house makes is even harder. Skimmers and autofill will be covered by Pour-a-Lid's, and deck drains are Pour-a-Drain's so they have the same concrete, color, and texture as the rest of the deck. No plastic lids anywhere!

Below is an evening picture and two morning pictures of the deck.

10-Decking5.jpg

10-Decking6.jpg

10-Decking7.jpg

10-Decking8.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.