First Time Pool Owner - Sacramento, CA

And here are some pictures for Kim since I know she loves bling.

The builder threw in 2 bags of crushed abalone shells. As the plaster was setting, the crew sprinkled the shell all over the interior finish and floated it into the surface.

It's easy to see in person but a little tough to take a good picture of it.

The first pic is a close up of some of the shell pieces. The other pics are trying to capture the "bling" at different times of the day.

20-Finished11.jpg

attachment.php

20-Finished8.jpg

20-Finished10.jpg

Just one last post before bed...

May 18, 2018 - Startup

Startup day arrived. The builder apparently contracts out startup to another company who manages the chemicals for the initial 30 days (included in contract).

The guy came out, primed the pumped, flipped the breakers and dumped some chemicals into the pool. He added a "sequestering agent", liquid chlorine to the shallow end, powdered CYA into the skimmer, acid into the deep end, and a chlorine puck in each skimmer basket.

He must've measured my tap water from the hose bib because when he came to the backyard he had the quantities pre-measured and just dumped them in. I asked what the chlorine target was and he said 1-2, and that "If there's any chlorine left when I come back in a week then I'm happy." Not very inspiring considering what I've learned here.

I have been testing with my TF-100 and here are some results:

Fill water:
FC - 1.5
pH - 8.2 (maybe higher?)
TA - 60
CH - 50

About 5 hours after the initial checmical dump and I measured the following:
FC - 9.5
CC - 0
pH - 6.8
TA - 40
CH - 50
CYA - 80 (though still learning this test)
Temp - 74 F
CSI - -2.10, per Pool Math

I tested again yesterday and came up with:
FC - 10
CC - 0
pH - 7.0
TA - 50
CH - 50
CYA - 80
Temp - 75 F
CSI - -1.80, per Pool Math

Today's test yielded the following numbers:
FC - 6.0
CC - 0.5 (it was just barely faint, and a single drop cleared it instantly)
pH - 7.5
TA - 60 (on this one, there was a definite shift to red, though one more drop made it even more red. Not sure where to stop counting.)
CH - 75
CYA - 70 (still getting the hang of this test. Will have to read more about it because I know the CYA didn't disappear; if anything the pucks should drive it up.)
Temp - 73 F
CSI - -1.06, per Pool Math

I really need to bring up with them that they haven't added anything to bring the CH up to a reasonable level. I'm concerned what effect this will have on new plaster. If they don't address it then I will be prepared to raise it when I take over in a few weeks.

CYA test-When you cannot see the dot at a GLANCE call it. If you look for the dot you will end up seeing.

TA-once it changes color and STAYS changed call it. It will "flash" but keep going until it stays changed. The color is more 'ish in color rather than true.

CH-I would call them ask them about that now as that is very important for your new plaster.

"If it is still holding FC when I come back in a week" LOL Guessing they are hoping the pucks will do it. The pucks are going to push your CYA some more with each one. You are already on the top end of the range so.......I would ask about not using any more and using liquid chlorine instead. Once your SWG is turned on (in about a month) it will take care of your FC for you. You will have to adjust it some in the beginning to find what works for your pool.

The BLING, oh the BLING! They did it MY way! That really shows up good! You did an awesome taking a pic that shows is off!! THANKS! :hug:

Kim:kim:

CYA test-When you cannot see the dot at a GLANCE call it. If you look for the dot you will end up seeing.

TA-once it changes color and STAYS changed call it. It will "flash" but keep going until it stays changed. The color is more 'ish in color rather than true.

CH-I would call them ask them about that now as that is very important for your new plaster.

Thanks for the tips on the tests. Overall they are fairly easy, just learning when to call it (looking at you CYA).

I’ll start by pestering the tech doing the orientation today about the CH, and then work my way up from there. They only warranty the plaster for a handful of years and here I’m trying to get 15-20+ years out of it.

I got a bit behind here, so here's an update:

May 21, 2018 - Orientation

Friday was orientation day... had a smart guy come out to show me how to work things. He quickly figured out I knew a bit more than most and we discussed things a bit deeper, just as far as water chemistry and equipment/plumbing goes. We set up automation/control of the lights, and the valve actuator for the sheer descents, and I got a tour of iAqualink so I can adjust schedules and run times going forward.

He did point out that the return lines for the venturi skimmer returns were plumbed on the wrong side of the equipment pad. They way they were plumbed they only came on when the sheer descents were on, where it should be the opposite. He also agreed that the pool needed added calcium and added it to his punch list.

May 24, 2018 - Pump Dies :(

Thursday evening I'm in the back and everything is running. I go to talk to my neighbor, and then bring him back to look at the finished job, and the pump had turned off. I reset breakers, turned off the automation and tried to start the pump manually (in Service and Timeout Mode on the panel) with no luck.

I call the company first thing the next morning (a Friday) and explain the situation. They are getting slammed due to the season and the weather, but they can have someone out next Wednesday, but of course this means no circulation (or swimming) over the 3 day weekend. :(

May 25, 2018 - Re-plumbing

Unknown to us, or the builders service department, they had a truck scheduled to come by on Friday to re-plumb the venturi skimmer returns (as noted during Orientation). When we mentioned that the pump also died, they took a look and received approval from their shop to swap it out same day while they were there anyway.

They also explained that the skimmer return lines should have originally been plumbed to the right-side of the return plumbing rather than the left. I really wish somebody would have noticed it before the deck pour and now I have this funny looking "U" plumbing. I really should have pushed for a basic diagram of the plumbing like I originally wanted to. Oh well, it could be worse I suppose. All fixed now anyway...

21-Equipment1.jpg

Swim Time!

We've finally been able to start swimming. The water's still pretty cool, low/mid-70's, but that doesn't stop us on the warm days. We had 90+ degree temps on Memorial day so we spent a decent amount of time in the pool. At this age they can't go too long till they get tired, and they did sleep quite well that night.

Landscaping Continues....

I'm still plugging away at the landscaping, trying to get things to a decent state prior to 2 of the kids combined birthday pool party on June 10th. The retaining wall is basically done, though I'm putting off installing the cap blocks until after as there are other priorities. Drainage pipe is in behind the wall and crushed rock backfill complete.

21-Landscaping1.jpg

I put a valve box around the Jandy valve that's used to balance the water flow to the sheer's. This way it won't get buried as I start putting excess dirt everywhere.

21-Landscaping2.jpg

And dirt.... I've already moved wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of this stuff and there's still more. I'm putting it everywhere I can for now, but I'm nearing the end of places that I "need" it. Now I'm just starting to look to get it out of my way. I've also started trenching for the sprinkler lines....

There's a week and a half till the party and still so much to do.

21-Lanscaping3.jpg

21-Landscaping4.jpg

No one else will notice the piping but all of us! At least they came out to fix it even though no one else knew they were coming! AND they did the pump too??? SWEET!

I say do what impacts the pool-cover up all of the dirt where people might walk and bring it into the pool and house. Go from there.

Good call on putting that into a box! Much safer that way!!

Dirt-put an ad on Nextdoor and say FREE DIRT! They might even come help you take it out!! LOL

Oh, and another note.... the pool is still low on calcium! Grr..... :mad:

The pool service doing the startup came out again... a different guy this time. I happened to be home when he came and discussed the calcium. He noted it needed it but that he'd used up what he had on his truck for the day already. He told me he'd make a note of it so they could add it next time.

Meanwhile, the pool has gone from a CH of 50, to 75, and now to 100. I can't be evaporating that much in such a short time so I know where the calcium is coming from. :( My lack of experience doesn't help me in that I don't know how much an effect on longevity could be caused by a few weeks of low calcium.

I tried to go to the local store but they only had a single small container , not a large bucket like I'm going to need to raise the CH this much. I'm hoping that the pool startup people add it later this week.

Rant:

The pool industry tries to tell you that caring for your pool is so much work, and that you should just pay them $75-150/mo and they will take care of it for you. But then when they come out they are in and out in like 10-15 minutes and only 1 visit a week. Doesn't this seem contradictory? If it only took 15 minutes a week to keep a pool up then why wouldn't I just do it myself?!?!

Not that there was ever a question, but I'm certainly not paying for someone to spend 15 minutes a week on my pool, no matter how nice they are when they come by. (End Ranting.)

Do you think you could pick some up from your PB's office? That way you don't have to pay for it.........you start up guy did say you needed it so............

Rant away! Just think of all of the people who have not found TFP :( Their poor pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you think you could pick some up from your PB's office? That way you don't have to pay for it.........you start up guy did say you needed it so............

Probably not. They contract out to a local service company for startup. Maybe I’ll call them and just let them know I need it this week for sure.

I talked to the last guy that came out and they are going to take th CH up to about 200. From reading here, I know I’ll need to add more anyway. I just want to minimize how much is getting pulled out of my plaster in the meantime until they turn things over to me for good.

Rant away! Just think of all of the people who have not found TFP :( Their poor pools.

A couple coworkers told me about TFP when they heard I was considering a pool. These guys are the type willing to pay people to do work for them, yet they were following the TFP methods. That was a pretty good testimonial for me.

As far as those unaware people.... that’s almost everyone I know (except for the 2 guys I mentioned). Everyone else is waiting for me to crash and burn and hire someone....

Reminds me a lot how many people view investing / retirement planning (my other hobby, LOL). So many just want to hand over control to a “professional” and trust that they have their best interests in mind. They don’t want to know, they don’t want to learn. I’m seeing much of the same attitude about pool care.

The funny thing is when you trust the pool *professionals* with your pool is when you DO crash and burn!! My trust was put in the pool store :( with their *help* I ruined my last pool's liner.........PH way off (guessing way too low) and CYA out of this world high............all I was every told was "lower the water a couple of inches and refill. Add this when that is done". Once the liner "rotted" out while I was in the pool taking all of the water and almost me with it I took it down and gave it away! Said NO MORE POOL! Husband found TFP and we now have a pool and I am a MOD on TFP :roll: life is funny like that :roll:

Good point in the parallel with investing! Easy and just do what you are told without having to think...........NOT FOR ME!! LOL Questions, oh so many questions and checking..............trust yet verify is my way for just about everything!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.