First time pool owner, older pool

I find it strange that you would "all of a sudden" have a water loss. Could you have put water to waste when you were trying to vacuum?
Alternatively, if it truly a leak, could you have damaged the vinyl with your brush or net?

Also, one idea is to turn off the valve to the main drain suction and only suck water from the skimmers. See if there is any difference in leak rate. Then do the opposite, open main drain suction and close skimmers. Monitor for any decrease in water level.
Me too. I just found mine leaked down over an inch in one day and discovered the air purge valve on the top of my filter was dripping. I lubed the o-ring and cleaned it out and it looks like it stopped. So make sure to check anywhere that looks wet.

Reactions: Djjones
Bought a property in Brooks Ga that just happens to have a 20x40 inground pool. Never owned a pool, but we figured what the heck, it would at least be a grandbaby magnet, lol. Pool had a safety cover on it and had not been opened in 2-3 years. Filter was busted and looked someone had ran into it with a lawnmower. Long story short we got it open, scooped out as much algae as possible, and had the new filter and an aquarite 900 swg installed. Have not put the salt in yet. Before we had any circulation we added a bottle of algaecide (which I understand now might have been a no no, but it’s done now.) We also used granular shock, the pool store recommended amount, and stirred that sucker like a watched pot of prize winning chilI! It went milky blue for a couple days and then the equipment was delayed. Rather than continue to put chem in it we continued to stir and scoop and wait.
Now that system running we’ve been running 24/7 backwashing a couple of times a day, and letting water out as waste, refilling with hose. We‘ve been keeping the bottom drain closed, unless we run to waste because we can’t see the bottom (it’s about 8-9 feet deep). Who knows what may be lurking down there!
I‘ve got a test kit on the way but I picked up a small one at the pool store.
chlorine 0.5
ph less than 6.8
I couldn’t get the cya to match the ph color even after 15 drops of reagent (maybe I did that part wrong)
Husband is headed to pool store after work for 4 Gallons of liquid chlorine. They are only allowing one case per customer. We wanted to see the bottom before we put the salt in, but we don’t know if that will happen.
Looking for encouragement and advise. Pleas View attachment 361813be kind. Lol I’ve read so many articles and watched so many videos it’s all a blur. Kinda like the pool water.

View attachment 361813
8/24/21 - Update - after the leak developed we threw in the towel and decided a complete drain with new liner would be the best choice for our circumstance. It made us both feel better too! A semi fresh start! Lead time is about 5 weeks so I’m excited about posting again once the process starts. We chose Serenity by Tara and it has been ordered. I can’t say our time was wasted though. We got some good exercise, learned a heck of a lot about pool maintenance, and made some new friends here at TFP! Any suggestions about the water while we wait? Water is right below skimmer level now. We considered putting the cover back on but boy that is a lot of trouble for us. I’d rather just look at it.

I don't have much knowledge about the water while you are waiting. It would seem to me, since you will have to pump it out, that it is worth keeping it clean (i.e. get any leaves and debris that you can out daily/weekly). Might make pumping it out easier.

New liner is here! Installation is happening today!! I’ll send pics soon.
Good morning! Isn’t this a beautiful sight! I’ve updated my signature to reflect the new liner (Tara Pools/Serenity) and we bought a robotic pool cleaner also. Shallow side skimmer is being replaced tomorrow. I am not closing this puppy so I’m not quite sure of my next steps except to get the water balance right. And I’m thinking we won’t add the salt yet. With the current water temp and cooler days ahead it is my understanding the SWG won’t function. Never fear though, we stocked up on liquid chlorine while we were waiting. 0E7A777F-92F7-4FAF-AB4F-BFC22FC37CD3.jpeg

Looks very nice. :goodjob: As for leaving it open, do like the rest of us. Balance the chemicals and yes, once the water gets cold you'll probably stick with liquid chlorine. It won't need much though in cold water. On those unusual freeze warning evenings be sure to keep the water moving. Cover the pad with a tarp if you need to. If you suspect a long power outage, then you might consider a Plan B to protect the pump, filter, and exposed pipes from freezing damage. That's rare, but we have posts here about that topic. Enjoy! :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks very nice. :goodjob: As for leaving it open, do like the rest of us. Balance the chemicals and yes, once the water gets cold you'll probably stick with liquid chlorine. It won't need much though in cold water. On those unusual freeze warning evenings be sure to keep the water moving. Cover the pad with a tarp if you need to. If you suspect a long power outage, then you might consider a Plan B to protect the pump, filter, and exposed pipes from freezing damage. That's rare, but we have posts here about that topic. Enjoy! :swim:
Good points! Especially protecting the equipment which is very exposed. Not close to the house at all.

Good points! Especially protecting the equipment which is very exposed. Not close to the house at all.
I have another question. I have bags of salt taking up deck space and exposed to the elements. Is it okay to start putting it in once we get everything ready and turn on the pump, even though we won’t be using the SWG and the water is most likely very cold, brrrr.

I have another question. I have bags of salt taking up deck space and exposed to the elements. Is it okay to start putting it in once we get everything ready and turn on the pump, even though we won’t be using the SWG and the water is most likely very cold, brrrr.
For what it’s worth, my SWG was working down into the low 50’s. So yours might work fine for a while. Give it a try.

I am just now finding this wonderful thread...........what a great learning experience you have had already. I love your attitude about the work done to clear it not being wasted. You DID learn a lot that will be helpful down the road.

SWG-I say put the salt in and learn to use the SWG to keep your FC up. Take advantage of it while you can. If the kids will get in the burrrrrrrrr water let them get in before you add the salt. We call adding salt "diamond day" as the salt looks like diamonds in the water as it floats down. Their swimming will help mix it in. Wait for about 24 hours before turning on your SWG so the salt is all mixed in.

Did you see any reason for the leak when they took the water out of the pool?

Always keep liquid chlorine on hand in a cool dark area as it is best for pushing your FC up fast where the SWG is good for keeping the FC at your needed level for your CYA.

I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. You have probably seen most of them but I don't want you to miss any of them:

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

After a while you will learn what your pool needs and wants. When that happens you can adjust your testing and such to fit your lifestyle.

Do I see how nice the decking looks after some hard work??

I would love to see the whole area including the house!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.