First time pool owner in Georgia (Atlanta area)

bs75758

Gold Supporter
Aug 25, 2020
Georgia
Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of building a pool and was wondering if I will need to close/winterize the pool during the winters. We live near Atlanta so the winters are mild compared to those I experienced while living in Michigan. There all pools had to be winterized for obvious reasons, but I was curious what Georgia pool owners or those with similar winters typically do. Thanks!

Hey there Bs75758.... I don't "close" my pool here near Augusta, and on nights we expect a freeze we just run the pump to keep the water moving. Its rare to have a day it doesn't go from 27 overnight to 50+ degrees. And we only ever lost power once during that wicked ice storm a few years ago. Keeping the pool running on a limited pump time during the winter, opening our autocover now and then, allows us to enjoy seeing a clear sparkly pool year round.
Down at the coastline I doubt they close their pools unless they just don't want to maintain them? Maintaining a pool over winter is very relaxed ..... a little liquid chlorine lasts a month or so for me. The sun isn't high overhead and I can cover at night and open each day.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Shirker
Hey there Bs75758.... I don't "close" my pool here near Augusta, and on nights we expect a freeze we just run the pump to keep the water moving. Its rare to have a day it doesn't go from 27 overnight to 50+ degrees. And we only ever lost power once during that wicked ice storm a few years ago. Keeping the pool running on a limited pump time during the winter, opening our autocover now and then, allows us to enjoy seeing a clear sparkly pool year round.
Down at the coastline I doubt they close their pools unless they just don't want to maintain them? Maintaining a pool over winter is very relaxed ..... a little liquid chlorine lasts a month or so for me. The sun isn't high overhead and I can cover at night and open each day.

Maddie :flower:
Thanks so much! That is very helpful information.

Welcome, I am in Cobb county and usually just drain the water 2 or 3" below the skimmer and drain all the equipment if I think it will get below freezing for more then a few hours. Good news is the pool needs very little attention from Nov until March. I just add a little liquid chlorine every couple of weeks and let it sit.
One thing to watch if your building now is we are about to get plastered with yellow pollen. May talk to them about timing the plaster installation.

Welcome, I am in Cobb county and usually just drain the water 2 or 3" below the skimmer and drain all the equipment if I think it will get below freezing for more then a few hours. Good news is the pool needs very little attention from Nov until March. I just add a little liquid chlorine every couple of weeks and let it sit.
One thing to watch if your building now is we are about to get plastered with yellow pollen. May talk to them about timing the plaster installation.
Thanks so much! We're still in the permitting process so the build probably won't start for at least another month. We are already getting hammered with pollen so hopefully, it'll be gone by the time we start the build.

I'm a little north of Atlanta (Athens area). Closing is for Suckers! :) I turn the pump on if the temps get low. Never had a problem even when I had an above ground pool. Very little work is needed in the winter months and the pool looks nicer without a cover. The only thing I have to do to open is wait for the water to warm up.

Reactions: markayash
I'm a little north of Atlanta (Athens area). Closing is for Suckers! :) I turn the pump on if the temps get low. Never had a problem even when I had an above ground pool. Very little work is needed in the winter months and the pool looks nicer without a cover. The only thing I have to do to open is wait for the water to warm up.
That was our reason also..I covered our pool one year and hated staring at a cover vs sparking blue water :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.