First time pool owner in Arkansas

Mar 27, 2018
Hope, AR
Hello,
We recently bought a home that has a pool. I have never owned or maintained a pool and have zero knowledge on the subject. The pool is currently dark green. We had a Hayward chlorine generator installed to convert to salt water. The installer told me I needed to shock the pool first before putting this unit into service. Do you have any recommendations for products or proceedures to use to get the pool in shape to begin using the chlorine generator? It is an in-ground pool that the chlorine generator installer estimated to be around 23,000 gallons. His recommendation was to shock, then take a sample to the pool supplier, and have them recommend where to go from there. I have ordered a Taylor test kit, so I may be able to avoid the pool supplier. I would appreciate any advice you guys could give.

Thanks,
Steve

Hiya Steve, welcome to TFP :handwave:

First off, congrats on the new home and pool. Fun times ahead!

Lets start off with some basics- Pool School - Getting Started

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You will need to "SLAM" your pool if its green so here are the directions--> SLAM Process

...but before you can do that you need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
and CYA.

And tell us your pool surface, all the equipment you have (pics help) and anything else you can think of that will help us.

Which test kit did you get/order? We'll get you straightened out in no time after we know some things asked above.

Until you start the SLAM, please add one gallon of plain, unscented bleach to the pool daily and brush it on the walls, floors, stairs etc. That will help stun anything in there growing while we get you started.

Maddie :flower:

Steve,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your "Hope and a Prayer" questions... :shark:

Your Pool guy is right about getting your water back into shape before turning in your SWCG...

Hope you followed out guidance and purchased a Taylor K-2006C, as you will need it to get your pool clear.

The first thing you want to do is make sure there is nothing in your pool but dirty water.. no dead bodies, no tree limbs, no leaves, etc.. Make sure all that is removed before you move forward with Maddie's great advice above.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Steve if you do anything i would say do it the TFP way these guys and gals know what they are doing . All you need to do it read the thousands of posts just like yours and you will find they say the same thing every time . Why because it works and btw they will save you money $$$$$ . The thing is its they do not get paid its free . So all they get is the satisfaction of reading how much you love your pool. You will also be learning and enjoying your pool too. You also need to feel free to ask all the questions you want. There is not a dumb question just dumb answers and may i add you will not get that here just great advice and encouragement. Go get ready to slam that pool .

good luck

Wow... thanks for the willingness to help out a pool newbie. I will get some more specific information about my setup and post it. Currently I could not tell you if there are any bodies at the bottom of this thing. There aren't really any trees that are pool-adjacent, so I don't think there is too much organic material at the bottom. Do you have any suggestions for trying to clean out the solids when the water is too murky to see it? I really appreciate the help.

Here is the little bit of information that I can answer while still at work: pool has vinyl liner (replaced 2 summers ago, I believe), pretty sure I have sand filter, I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit based on internet recommendations.

Steve