First time pool owner from Ohio

rarnold5000

Jul 21, 2022
Ohio
Hello everyone, I am glad I found TFP! Total pool noob here so I apologize in advance. We recently had a salt water pool installed (finished late March 2022). It is about a 22,000 gallon concrete pool running off of the Pentair system. The problem is the installers didn’t tell us hardly anything on how to maintain it besides test the water weekly with a test strip and dump in a full bag of Mineral Springs Renewal every week.
I adjusted the output of the SWG (IC-40) to 55% after the first couple of weeks because Ph was a little low. It has been consistent ever since.
My question is…is there something else we should be doing? The pool has been used almost daily since it was installed and it just seems like there should be more to it. I turned the lights to red, in honor of Stranger Things, the other night because my teenage sons were swimming and I saw all kinds of “stuff” floating around in the water that I can’t see during the day. The water is clear and gorgeous during the day but all of the stuff floating made me question is there something else I should be doing? Do I need to shock it?
Last month we disassembled the filter and cleaned out both of the internal filters. It was really bad due to the construction and the annoying cottonwood we have here in Ohio. We clean the pump filter and the skimmers regularly.
I don’t want to cause extra work but I also want it to be safe and sanitary. You would think after spending as much as we did on the pool they would have spent some more time explaining how to maintain it. I am not even sure what the Mineral Springs Renewal is or what it does.
I am in the process of watching the introductory videos on the site now. Thank you for any advice or teaching you can provide!

Welcome to the forum!
You said you add Mineral Springs Renewal -- read this thread -- What's in those Mineral Springs bags?

You do not need to add that very expensive item. You need to test for each water chemistry parameter and then add what chemicals, which you can get at grocery stores or big box stores, that is needed.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 / TFPRO or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols. See Test Kits Compared

Welcome to the forum!
You said you add Mineral Springs Renewal -- read this thread -- What's in those Mineral Springs bags?

You do not need to add that very expensive item. You need to test for each water chemistry parameter and then add what chemicals, which you can get at grocery stores or big box stores, that is needed.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 / TFPRO or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols. See Test Kits Compared
Thank you for your reply! Very interesting read on the Mineral Springs Renewal.
I have a Taylor K2006C test kit I bought for our hot tub. Yes…I can maintain the hot tub water chemistry but the salt water pool scares me! I guess it is because I don’t understand it, yet.

If you have a K2006C - you are golden! How old are the reagents.

There is no difference with a SWCG pool. The SWCG is simply making your chlorine.
Run a full set of tests on your poolwater and post here.
See What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?

If you have a K2006C - you are golden! How old are the reagents.

There is no difference with a SWCG pool. The SWCG is simply making your chlorine.
Run a full set of tests on your poolwater and post here.
See What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?
Less than a year old. I am not sure how long they last? I think I bought the test kit November 2021 timeframe.
Do I need to something to test the salt levels? Or will my SWG levels suffice for that?

Looks OK -- low CYA for our parameters. CH is a bit low for a plaster pool.

I suspect you can eliminate the Renewal stuff. Might want to add 20 -30 ppm CYA to help the SWCG out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect your fill water is low in CH? Also, you likely get enough rain to keep the pool full? If those are true, you should get some calcium chloride (ice melt - be careful as some have additives) to raise the CH to above 300 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.