First time Pool Owner - basic questions!

crwilliams

Jun 4, 2019
Tennessee, USA
Hey Everyone!

So quick background - I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Pool Care. I've read, talked to three local pool stores, and I seem to find contradicting answers from everywhere - even from employee to employee at the same darn store!

So - here we go!

I've had the pool for three weekends now - see signature for info.

• Where do I put my Chlorine Tablets?
    • I'm using Poolife NST Extended Release Non-Stabilized Tablets. The place where I got my pool said to put them in the Skimmer Basket - however I've been reading that a lot of Pool Stores tell you that because over time it will cause failure - is this just people being paranoid, or should I put them in a floater?
  • Has anyone heard of a Chlor-NoMore?
    • This is what the place we got our pool from said to put in the Pump Basket
  • Using Chemicals
    • When the tell me to use Shock, PH Decreaser, or Aligicide, they say broadcast it onto the surface. However, when i do this, it seems like a majority of this settles to the bottom. I'll brush it that night, and again in the next morning, but it still seems like it never goes away, so I wind up vacuuming it and recirculating into the pool. After about the second vacuum, it's all dissolved - however, I'm having to vacuum about 4 times a week. No complaints - I actually enjoy it, but, just want to make sure this sounds right.
    • They tell me to put Stabilizer into the Skimmer. However, when I do this, a majority of it, just as before, gets put back into the pool via the jets. So, same as before, brush, brush, vacuum, vacuum. Is this correct???
    • They told me to put 9 Lbs of Calcium into a Pillow Case and tie it to my steps. Seems odd.
  • Chlorine
    • I've been keeping 2 tablets in the skimmer at all times, however both my Chlorine levels still are at 0, as of my last test 2 days ago. See attached results.
    • Can I just add Bleach to get it to a correct level??
Hopefully these aren't too facepalmy types of questions!!!

Thanks so much!!!

Welcome to the forum!
All of your questions are quite relevant - to pool store methods. TFPC does not use many of those products, nor get them at pool stores that charge lots more for simple items. Also, algaecide is unnecessary, and be ware of solid chlorine. Yours is Cal Hypo, that is raising your calcium. Which your AG pool does not need.
The cornerstone of TFPC is pool owner testing with a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared. I recommend the TF100.
Read through the following links and come on back to ask more questions.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

CR,

You're lucky you found TFP after only three weeks of pool ownership. I screwed up two pools before I stumbled across the forum. So much of the advice you cite above is contrary to TFP methods. As Marty said, invest in a good test kit and follow TFP methods for sanitation and chemistry. The kit will set you back about $70-$100, but you'll still save money by not buying expensive chemicals and magic potions from the pool store. I would also consider a Taylor Speedstir which will make self-testing easier and more consistent (link in my sig). Pull back on throwing stuff in your pool until you do some reading in Pool School.

Best of luck!

When the tell me to use Shock, PH Decreaser, or Aligicide, they say broadcast it onto the surface. However, when i do this, it seems like a majority of this settles to the bottom. I'll brush it that night, and again in the next morning, but it still seems like it never goes away, so I wind up vacuuming it and recirculating into the pool. After about the second vacuum, it's all dissolved - however, I'm having to vacuum about 4 times a week. No complaints - I actually enjoy it, but, just want to make sure this sounds right.
This is not right at all. You are doing so much extra work and spending so much extra money. Just wait until you get that pool under Trouble Free Pool Care methods... you are going to laugh at how much extra work they had you doing...

Oh and the Chlor-No-More is just a copper dispensing device.... after awhile the copper levels will accumulate in your water and it will stain your pool and your hair... so I would not have that anywhere near my pool.

"Different answers even from employee to employee"........that should be enough right there to send you running! Yep, instead of CYA, your "pucks" ARE stabilized with calcium. Chlorine is one of the most unstable molecules on the planet. You can't hold a chlorine residual because you don't have ENOUGH CYA. 12 is zero to us. In Tennessee you're going to need about 40 to 50 to do any good. See the chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School. I dang sure wouldn't be adding any algaecide to the mix. As for Turboshock-----no one should have to "shock their pool weekly."

Don't say "Pool Store", its like saying beetlejuice 3 times lol. I talk praises of TFP after last years Hulk party in my pool. Found this site, took over the "pool boy" title and kicked some butt. This year opening went without an issue and has been clear since, only adding liquid chlorine. Listen to the people on here, they are here to help and are full of knowledge. Best of luck!

Follow the TFP experts and ignore the stores...you will not regret it! Testing is easy and quick once you get things balanced. But you can't get accurate tests at store or with test strips. Good luck and welcome to tfp! ?

It will take a few days before you get your test kit. You should get some chlorine in your pool before algae takes hold. Add one gallon of 10% liquid chlorine/bleach, then half a gallon per day until you get your kit. You can pick up pool chlorine from Wal-Mart, HD, or Lowes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay! So big thanks to everyone who posted and mknauss who helped me out here!

Got some liquid chlorine added to the pool, and I'm finally in a safe zone!

Now - my TF-100 Kit is ordered, but will likely be here next week. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain here for the next 6 frickin' days straight.

So - question - should I still daily test even during rainy days, or a row of rainy days?

Also - since I've switched to liquid chlorine, is there a need to keep using chlorine tabs?

Thanks so much!!!

No real need to test. Add the half gallon a day until you get your kit.

No more tablets for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.