First time pool owner and I want to swim, but...

I would just hold off on draining any water myself. Again, I'm sure your numbers are high....but let's just see how much you'd need to drain. It would be a waste to drain 70% of your pool, only to find out that the tests were so far out of whack that you only needed to drain 25%. To me, if the test results were off at all I'd ignore the results all together and get it tested again. Here is a great case where spending the cash for a good test kit (TF-100) can save you a TON of money in water bills. Do only what you NEED to do to the pool...and don't make extra work and expenses for yourself in the long run.

Leebo said:
I would just hold off on draining any water myself. Again, I'm sure your numbers are high....but let's just see how much you'd need to drain. It would be a waste to drain 70% of your pool, only to find out that the tests were so far out of whack that you only needed to drain 25%. To me, if the test results were off at all I'd ignore the results all together and get it tested again. Here is a great case where spending the cash for a good test kit (TF-100) can save you a TON of money in water bills. Do only what you NEED to do to the pool...and don't make extra work and expenses for yourself in the long run.
:goodjob: :goodjob:

I had the same situation when I got into the house with pool . For first few months went to pool store for testing & on every visit they sold me something. Then I came to know this site. ".........BINGO..........".
Bought my self TFT-100 & maintained my FC levels (initial was bit confusing)

Not only my expenses has gone down but my pool is crystal clear & kids love it.
Thanks to TF

I know its already been mentioned, but get a good kit so you can confirm your numbers. Pool School has some good info on comparing kits http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison. I use a TF-100 and am very happy with it, but any of the kits in the article are good.

In the meantime, you can take some water to a pool store to get a full set of results, until you get a good kit. Most places don't charge for the service.

Thanks guys! I will order a TF-100 kit asap. In the meantime, tomorrow I am going to take a sample to my local pool store. I have low expectations though, since the house has been owned for the last 30 years by a single lady who is currently in her mid 90's. Something tells me the pool water is probably 10+ years old, was never used, and so nothing has ever been done but throw in chlorine tablets. :hammer:

I'll let you all know the results from the pool store when I get them.
Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy the TF-100 kit? Their website has it for $68 + shipping.

That is the ONLY place to buy the TF-100 as it is sold by a forum member. You could also order the K-2006 although the chemical quantities do not match the value of the TF-100.

Actually, the TF website seems to sell the K-2006 at about the lowest price I have seen, but the TF-100 is still a better value given the number of tests you can do. BTW, the Speedstir is a nice to have as well.

I was in the same boat as you were. Couldn't find the TF-100 ANYWHERE. Now you see why. ;D Whichever kit you purchase I would return the kit from Home Depot and put that $15 towards a better kit. With the improved tools at your fingertips we'll be able to walk you through the steps and show you how to have a clean pool.....on the cheap.

ps...if you're like me and tend to jump right into things it maybe worth your while to purchase a few extra scoops with the TF-100. They're like 15cents each and mine are ALWAYS dirty. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The ones for the powder is correct. My girls got mine wet once and I then used it not knowing. It's got black gunk on it now that I can't clean off. For 15 cents it's worth it to me to avoid doing it again.

Then again....I let the kids play with the kit at times too. May not be an issue in all or most cases.

Hey guys, quick question. I'm ordering my TF-100 test kit tomorrow and I was wondering if I should buy any refills along with the kit, to save on future shipping costs. Or is the complete refill kit a better deal? I was just thinking that it seems like the Chrloine test solution(s?) would run out pretty quickly, no?

I'd say just order the XL version and pass on other refills. The XL doubles the chemicals needed to preform any tests for your FC and CC numbers....both needed during shocking. Other than that you won't need much of any other test, and the chemicals supplied should last you the entire year (or more).

Ok, I took a sample to the pool shop and the guy said my CYA was around 300. He said I need to drain the pool. A part of me thinks that maybe RO might be worth it to save the hassle. I have to drain into my sewage clean-out at 12 gpm tops. At 12,000 gallons (80% water change) that is a long time...

If I drain myself, I will buy this pump. I hope this one doesn't exceed 12gpm...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X0 ... -2&seller=

I did the 50-50 water sample test with the test strips (half pool and half tap), and the CYA was still off the charts (300pp+).

He said "whoa, your chlorine is very high". I asked if it would kill my trees and he said "at these levels, it could quite possibly kill them". I think he said the FC was at like 10 maybe?

My 50+ year old trees are not worth losing over a couple hundred dollars. I'm going to call two more R.O. companies here, and if they can't cut me a deal for under $350, then I'm just going to buy that pump and try myself. Keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far, you have really made this whole pool fiasco much less STRESSFUL!!! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.