First time pool build

meow_meow

Jan 19, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
We have never owned a pool, but we are both originally from the cold and now in Las Vegas for the last 5 years. Our first home we rented had an older pool that scratched the itch. We are currently building a new home that is slated for completion appx June. We'd like to get a pool done this year and our realtor who we know and trust recommended the person who has done his pool and his best friend's pool as well. We do plan on getting at least one other quote. We met with this builder on Monday and will do further vetting/questions for him. He will be sending us some of his work here this week. Anwyay...

He's quoted as beginning prices for an 80 perimeter for 40K. I believe spa was 12.5K. We didn't go into great detail what this all entailed, but basic equipment with this and prices up from there.

About us: Never owned a pool. Had one for 2 years as our first rental here. We are in our 40s. No kids. Don't do a ton of entertaining, but we do have a collection of close cold weather friends who like to visit us each year. We primarily will have the pool for just my wife and I.

We are leaning towards these features/concepts with primary function as an adult leisure pool with very little kid use.

1) rectangular shapes that will keep us in the 80 to 90 perimeter size as we want to keep the costs reasonable and don't need a monstrosity. 14X28 or probably no larger than 15X32.
2) Spa. Unsure on the size. 7X7 seems reasonable. Likely would have less than 4 people in it 99% of the time. Likely built into the pool space. Drop down or raised? I LOVE a hot tub and like to use it year around. That being said, we probably won't heat the actual pool during the "winter" months outside of maybe when we get visitors over Thanksgiving. So spa used year around and the pool pretty much Mid March at the earliest to Mid Oct at the latest. Can we just use a shared system for the pool/spa for how I describe it?
3) We are planning on a tanning ledge. With this, we would likely have the spa next to it. is a 7x9 or 8x9 deck enough for 2 people? How about thoughts on depth? I'm leaning towards 10 to 15 inches? I'd like it to be enough to just sit in to cool off and deep enough to be slightly in the water in a lounger chair.
4) Pool depth. I'm 5'11" and wife is 5'5" I'm leaning more toward either a sport pool or a uniform depth. If a sport pool, I'm thinking 4-5-4 or no more than 5.5 in the middle. Let's say we end up with only 19 feet of usable pool space after the tanning deck, would the sloping be okay? If a uniform pool depth, I'm leaning toward 4.5 feet, which might be a bit too deep for the wife? The wife actually would like a gentle slope from say 3.5 or 4 feet up to 6 feet at the "deep end." IMO, this 6 foot depth would be nice, but I see it more as wasted space. But again, most times in will just be us, or another couple or 2. Thoughts?

Sorry if I am a bit disjointed in my initial post. I'm excited and nervous over spending so much money and knowing so little. I've spent a good couple of days reading up on reddit, this website, and swimmingpoolsteve to get some thoughts and ideas, but I'm still a bit all over the place, but we do at least have a nice framework in our minds, lol.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you're getting settled in the Vegas Valley, and with snowbirds visiting from time to time, it will be a nice place to entertain. You have some very good thoughts on the pool. I'll add a few thoughts:
- If you're not into diving, a sport pool is a nice thought and the rectangle should help to make the most efficient use of space. It will also be useful for lap swimming or simply playing games like volleyball.
- Don't forget to plan for the pool pad and equipment. I would recommend starting a new thread in the Under Construction sub-forum and including all the details once you receive them from your proposed builder.
- Remember that with any pool estimate in depth, you can subtract about 5-6 inches from that since that's where the waterline will settle. So be sure what the true water depth will be when speaking to your builder.

Once complete, but sure to have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit in-hand to keep the water pristine. We'll help you along the way.

Hey Meows !!! If you've never been in a built on spa, or paid real attention to the experience when you were in one, we recommend you try one before you build one. They are mostly for entertaining where folks can have a warmer and bubblier time while laughing and hanging out. They leave alot to be desired as far as the 'spa experience' goes with uncomfortable concrete benches and many less jets. Your primary use won't really be entertaining so you'll be sitting there without all the hoopla to distract you from their drawbacks.

They are absolutely stunning so asthetics alone is a fair reason to install one but if you're looking for a heavenly soak, a stand alone hot tub is the way to go. Ideally we would all have an unlimited budget and install both. One for form and one for function.

Reactions: meow_meow
Regarding depth, my pool goes from 3.5' - 5' (actually 5'-5" if measured at the drain). If I were doing it again, I would make the minimum shallow depth 4'. When I am in the shallow end, I am usually 'walking' on my knees. I am 5'-11" also. My wife is 5'-8" and she also thinks the shallow end could be deeper.

We do have kids, but we primarily built the pool for us, because they will not be here forever. As such, I am usually on a lounger floating around, so water depth is not a concern. Wife primarily floats around as well.

If you ever think you will want to jump in, you know cannonballs and such, 6' is really the shallowest for that. My backside hits the bottom every time. I know this and jump accordingly.

I think my tanning ledge is 9" deep. I have the standard ledge loungers and they have a little water over the middle. Ours is set up to fit 4 loungers but we have never added the other 2. 7x9 or 8x9 should be sufficient. Mine is 7' front to back. Maybe 9' at the back and a little wider at the front.

My spa is 7' diameter. Fits 4 easily and 5 or 6 is a little squeeze. As Pat mentioned, if you've never been in a gunite spa before, you need to sit in one to understand what it is. It is not a 'therapy' spa like the freestanding ones. It is a hot water bath with some bubbles and a place to warm up in the colder months.

I would spend a week reading through all of the build threads here to get your ideas. I wish I had found this place before I designed mine. I wouldn't have changed a lot but there are a few things that I would have, like my shallow depth, and also I would have done a sport pool profile, where it is deeper in the middle and shallow on either end. Also would have done a rolled edge on my spa, instead of the stone cap.

Good luck!

--Jeff

Attachments

• Audio Mark ups.jpg
    Audio Mark ups.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 31
Regarding depth, my pool goes from 3.5' - 5' (actually 5'-5" if measured at the drain). If I were doing it again, I would make the minimum shallow depth 4'. When I am in the shallow end, I am usually 'walking' on my knees. I am 5'-11" also. My wife is 5'-8" and she also thinks the shallow end could be deeper.

We do have kids, but we primarily built the pool for us, because they will not be here forever. As such, I am usually on a lounger floating around, so water depth is not a concern. Wife primarily floats around as well.

If you ever think you will want to jump in, you know cannonballs and such, 6' is really the shallowest for that. My backside hits the bottom every time. I know this and jump accordingly.

I think my tanning ledge is 9" deep. I have the standard ledge loungers and they have a little water over the middle. Ours is set up to fit 4 loungers but we have never added the other 2. 7x9 or 8x9 should be sufficient. Mine is 7' front to back. Maybe 9' at the back and a little wider at the front.

My spa is 7' diameter. Fits 4 easily and 5 or 6 is a little squeeze. As Pat mentioned, if you've never been in a gunite spa before, you need to sit in one to understand what it is. It is not a 'therapy' spa like the freestanding ones. It is a hot water bath with some bubbles and a place to warm up in the colder months.

I would spend a week reading through all of the build threads here to get your ideas. I wish I had found this place before I designed mine. I wouldn't have changed a lot but there are a few things that I would have, like my shallow depth, and also I would have done a sport pool profile, where it is deeper in the middle and shallow on either end. Also would have done a rolled edge on my spa, instead of the stone cap.

Good luck!

--Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, what you have now is a sloping pool from shallow to deep? I'm definitely leaning toward the sport pool of 4-5-4. I just can't justify in my head having it 6' deep just for the occasional cannonball from myself or few other people. And regard to the spa, yes, I'm aware that it won't be like a stand alone one. We definitely want it for the nice 104 degrees and for the cooler, Vegas months.

Thanks for your insights. The rolled edge is something I'd never even thought about, but might be really nice to be gentler on one's back. I love sharp lines and edges, but an exception may need to be made here after thinking about it.

Reactions: Newdude
just can't justify in my head having it 6' deep just for the occasional cannonball from myself or few other people
It's all relative to your previous swimming experiences for most folks. I grew up on the water. Swimming was jumping off a boat into 20-100 ft deep water. I can't imagine being able to touch when I'm swimming, except for when it's time to get out.

Many folks in the country only swam at public pools where they could also always touch, so that's normal to them.

You do you Meows. There are no wrong answers. :)

You'll also likely second guess any decisions until the end of time. So allow yourself some forgiveness there. Lol. I always say that the worst day bobbing in my shallow end was better than most any day before we built the pool. I'd occasionally be bummed about the shallow end and an ice cold beer would somehow make it perfectly perfect.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Protip: if you ever regret going too shallow, hop on a float. (Adult beverage HIGHLY recommended) Suddenly your pool is 3+ ft too *deep* for what you are doing. A little perspective change is an amazing thing.

I'm definitely leaning toward the sport pool of 4-5-4.
Shallow pools are fairly warm water pools. June through August water temperature will be at 90F or above.

Consider a cooler but you must use softened water for make up water due to evaporation. It is wise to use softened water regardless if you have a cooler, just due to the calcium hardness level of our water.

He's quoted as beginning prices for an 80 perimeter for 40K. I believe spa was 12.5K.
The price sounds good. We are about 10K over that. I do not have the specifics on equip but that was with a 7 ft raised spa spilling into the pool, tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers and umbrella holder, 3 LED lights, SWG, Robot, Heat Pump,Blower, Fixed speed pump, concrete coping, 600 sq ft brushed decking. We upgraded to Flagstone decking, Kool deck, 1000 sq ft extra decking, Variable speed pump, and a chiller on the heat pump. With the extra things and retaining walls, will be at least double that plus the cost of the pool house.
1) rectangular shapes that will keep us in the 80 to 90 perimeter size as we want to keep the costs reasonable and don't need a monstrosity. 14X28 or probably no larger than 15X32.
I like the freeform but the rectangular will provide more usable space. I would have liked an autocover which we can't have with our freeform. Plus if you do need a cover, it will be much cheaper because you can buy them pre-made.
2) Spa. Unsure on the size. 7X7 seems reasonable.
That's what will will have. I personally have a phobia sitting in a spa with a bunch of people, so it will just be a couple at a time.
Likely built into the pool space. Drop down or raised?
We went raised so we could have the waterfall.
Can we just use a shared system for the pool/spa for how I describe it?
We will be able to heat the spa or both although I would not want to pay to heat the entire thing.
3) is a 7x9 or 8x9 deck enough for 2 people?
I think ours is around a 7 x 9
How about thoughts on depth?
Ours will be 6 inches which seems to be shallow. But since it's still under construction I don't have any experience.
I'm leaning more toward either a sport pool or a uniform depth.
I was told by the builder that the bottom needed slope for efficient cleaning. Don't know if that is true. Ours will be 3.5 feet at shallow to 5 ft at deep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking it may not be too comfortable sitting on the concrete
Get several adults in there enjoying themselves while the kids swim and everyone will be laughing too hard to notice it's not exactly comfy. Go out on a quiet evening, possibly with just a SO and you'll notice alot more.

It's still hot and soothing, and the bubbles are nice, but it's a far cry from the standalone experience.

You should be able to find some sort of head cushions that would work. Maybe even from a standalone spa dealer / manufacturer.

Well, met with another pool builder (first one flaked out) and we really like the new builder. He was highly recommended by a close friend.

So here are the details. Hayward is being used (he will use whatever we’d like, but that’s how go to).

Only changes we think we are making is to the wet deck. Instead of 6’ x 6’ I think we will go 8’ (L) x 6’. Is 6’ enough depth for a lounger? He says yes. Also, I forget the water depth, but what’s the consensus? I was thinking 9” ? Enough to have a little water on you while in a lounge chair reading and relaxing?

With respect to the depth, we went back and forth of having a shallow to deep end to 6’ but the reality is, this is an adult pool with very few kids being in it. I like it, but open to thoughts, opinions, etc. We are exited. And nervous as this is a big endeavor for us. 2131D1F2-A653-415D-A2B8-B8D24F5885FA.jpeg0FB8F967-5966-4C65-8A01-0D37DA355BEF.jpeg6CDA22D9-2F19-4F70-83B6-124CB4309D29.jpegB5DD851E-9859-42D2-9282-92DC4F3C8CD3.jpeg

Have you considered getting a salt water chlorine generator instead of an in-line chlorinator? How many skimmers and returns? Even if you don't put a chiller in right away, consider getting extra concrete poured for the pad in case you decide you need it :)

Make sure you are talking WATER depth. That is from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening. Some people use from the floor to the coping. Doing it that way you lose about 3 to 4" of water.

Shelf size-Do you have a lounger yet? If not then go to the store and see what one you might get and measure it. Will be there room for how many you want AND for someone to walk by them to the main pool? Go from there.

Have you considered getting a salt water chlorine generator instead of an in-line chlorinator? How many skimmers and returns? Even if you don't put a chiller in right away, consider getting extra concrete poured for the pad in case you decide you need it :)

We talked thru with the PB about SWCG vs the in-line chlorinator. From what I’ve read (just a bit) and what he said, there isn’t much of an advantage. But the equipment he’s choosing gives me the option to go that route. Change my mind?? Interested in your option.

Also, 2 returns (I believe, will confirm) and one skimmer. He said he’d add another skimmer when I asked him about it for no cost. Said I don’t need one. Change my mind???

I’m unsure where we’d pour the concrete pad? Prob just the the left of the covered patio since that’s the only spot. Chiller? Do you mean fridge?

Make sure you are talking WATER depth. That is from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening. Some people use from the floor to the coping. Doing it that way you lose about 3 to 4" of water.

Shelf size-Do you have a lounger yet? If not then go to the store and see what one you might get and measure it. Will be there room for how many you want AND for someone to walk by them to the main pool? Go from there.

Thank you for the recommendation on depth. Will confirm that it’s actual depth of water. No lounger yet, but we will check some out that we are interested in to confirm 6’ is enough. We envision just 2 loungers, so if we went 8’ there would be plenty for that, an umbrella and room for someone to walk around.

From what I’ve read (just a bit) and what he said, there isn’t much of an advantage.
You want a SWCG. Hands down. You will regret having to deal with liquid chlorine (the in line chlorinator thing is not for daily maintenance) on a daily basis. We are on a 34 day cruise right now. Our pool is humming along with a SWCG and a brother adding acid every week or so.

Also, as discussed earlier in this thread, insist they hook up your autofill to your water softener system or at least have the ability to use softened water for fill water when you wish.

Last edited:
By chiller I mean something to cool your water down b/c it's going to get hot. As Marty mentioned in one of the older posts, your water will probably get over 90 degrees...just something to consider. I have a SWCG and it's low maintenance...with liquid chlorine....constantly having to get chlorine and put it in every day does not sound like my idea of fun :)

Get a chiller, or at least make sure you've got room for one. I'm in NE Oklahoma and my bath, I mean pool water was 95 on Saturday! Fortunately I wasn't home to swim in it!

I installed my return jet sprayer yesterday which does help to bring the water temps down. Was at 84 this morning and up to 89 this afternoon! When I renovate my pool in another 18 years I will be adding a dedicated chiller to the equation.

--Jeff

• Wow
Reactions: TampaKathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.