First time out with my new Taylor K-2006, and I have a few questions

If you want to validate that there is algae growing you can raise your FC to 10 and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). If it passes you got lucky, keep FC at or above target. If it doesn't pass the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the pool to get rid of the algae.

Sounds good, I'll do that tonight and report back. I'm not used to seeing crystal clear water and thinking that I may have algae present. I'm seeing now that what we CAN'T see visually is normally the most important thing when it comes to maintaining a pool. Thanks.

OK folks, so I went out again just a few minutes ago (11am EST) and went to test my CYA again. The little CYA dispenser bottle (marked 7mL and 14mL) from Taylor is inaccurate. I tested it 5 or 6 times, with 2 different children's droppers (I've got plenty of kids, and plenty of these lying around). Where it says 7mL, it's actually only 6. Therefore, instead of wasting all of my reagent, I mixed 3mL pool water with 3mL CYA, and my reading came back this time as around 55. I think I will just treat the other issues by getting the bleach and soda ash into the pool today, and then check it again tomorrow.

Dispenser bottle I was sent is like this one: Amazon.com : Taylor CYA Dispenser Bottle 9191 : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Has anyone else ever noticed this as being inaccurate? I'm kind of shocked. To add insult to injury, it takes 6mL to reach the "7mL" mark. It then takes another 7mL to reach the 14mL mark. Therefore if I blindly follow the mark on the container, I am adding 6mL of water, and 7mL of CYA, so definitely not a 50/50 mix.

I was reading through this post and saw that nobody had responded to this and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Haven't measured this myself, although I have the same kit. The first thing that comes to mind is whether or not the meniscus is at the 7ml level or not. Thought I was testing other tests correctly, on a whim ordered the Sample Sizer, and discovered I was under sampling. (The meniscus was not high enough in the cylinder.) There are two Sample Sizers, one made for 10ml/25ml and another for 44ml. I thought a 7ml would be more useful to folks than then a 44ml, especially given all the CYA testing that's done.

Update on my overnight FC loss test:
FC = 3 at 10pm last night
FC = 10 at 11pm last night after adding Pool Calc recommended dosage
FC = 8 at 11am this morning

So essentially I lost 2ppm overnight. Is this normal? The water is CRYSTAL clear, and looks better than it has all year. Thanks!

I just re-read the Pool School FC Loss Test, and it seems to continue to talk about how your water should clear up, and how the algae growth should go down and you should be able to see it looking better every day. I'm confused, since I'm losing >1ppm every night, but my CC is .5, and my water is crystal clear. I will say that I only run my pump about 6hrs a day, and most of that is not during the night. I also have a few leaves/sediment in the bottom of the pool almost every night, and only get around to vacuuming it ever 2-3 days (I know I know, shame on me :rolleyes:).

Please let me know your thoughts, as I'd hate to start SLAMming for no good reason. Thanks!

For one night, I'd start the pump at sundown, add your bleach, come back out an hour later and take your reading. Let it run all night, low speed if you have it, then retest before sunrise. You might have some pockets of various concentrations if the water has been sitting all night. It might be more concentrated at the bottom of the pool so when you get your sample closer to the top it's weaker.

For one night, I'd start the pump at sundown, add your bleach, come back out an hour later and take your reading. Let it run all night, low speed if you have it, then retest before sunrise. You might have some pockets of various concentrations if the water has been sitting all night. It might be more concentrated at the bottom of the pool so when you get your sample closer to the top it's weaker.

I think you were exactly right BuckeyeChris. Last night I was at 3.5 at 11pm, got it up to 9.5 at 12 midnight, and this morning at 9:30am it was 9.25, so I barely lost anything! Great call on this, as I would have hated to have SLAM'd for no good reason. I will try and let the pool run a little late night (when I put in the chemicals) and in the morning (when I do some of my testing), just to avoid this type of thing going forward. Thanks again!

OK, now that I've performed the overnight FC test and passed it, I don't think that I have any algae in the water. However, I'm still losing around 6-7ppm during the day, even on days like today where the water was only 80 degrees, the pump ran all day, and it was only around 90 degrees outside.

Any ideas? From what all I've read, I would have thought that the higher CYA content (~70) would have kept me from losing so much chlorine. I'm pretty much putting a 121oz bottle of bleach in the pool a day, which can get expensive if you can't find it on sale. Is this normal? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I feel a little embarrassed here... I tested again with another syringe and 6ml came right below the line, and 7ml came right above it. I think it's probably more like 6.5ml, but who really cares, I guess. I think I made a mountain out of a mole hill... maybe I'd been sniffing too much bleach at the time! My apologies for the false alarm, and thanks for the test BuckeyeChris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.