First time out with my new Taylor K-2006, and I have a few questions

Tim5055, maybe I was just looking for something to be "wrong". :) I think I was expecting all of the proper numbers to fall in place overnight... I'm not seeing it takes patience, much like my garden. Thanks for the tip... used the calculator, added the chlorine and soda ash, and I'll check it again tomorrow evening. Thanks.
I didn't mean to sound short.... Hope it didn't come across that way (but when I re-read it I can see how it might).

Sometimes it may take a few additions to dial things in.

Just FYI you don't have to wait 24 hours or anything like that to retest. I'm pretty sure you mainly have to wait for everything to get mixed usually at least 30 minutes or maybe an hour to be safe. Or you can wait because it's not like something is crazy out of whack. I just wanted to make sure you knew you didn't *have* to wait that long if you want to move a little quicker. :)

Thanks for the info... I loved the chlorine chart, that's a keeper! Below is tonight's test results... still improving (I think):

FC = 1
CC = .5
TA = 70
CYA = 80
PH = 7.4

My question is this: If I don't drain the pool and I get the FC up to 7 or 8, will it maintain at that level just like a "normal" CYA 30-50 pool? In other words, will I continuously have to add more bleach than if my CYA were within normal limits? I'd read elsewhere on here that while it takes more chlorine to GET up to a stable level, you actually may be able to add less per week due to the high CYA levels. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way, I added a boatload of bleach this afternoon in an effort to get it up to at least 5 or so.

Yes, add to,get,to,your FC target. Your last couple of,tests have been FC 1 and that is a recipe for algae to grow. Once you get it to your target you will basically be adding your maintenance dose each day.

With CYA of 80 here is how your chlorine needs to be managed.

Minimum FC is 6, never let it drop below 6 ever. When FC drops below minimum your pool is unsanitary, can allow disease transmission and allow algae to grow.
Target level is 9, normal every day level should be kept at 9-10. On big swimming days/weekends up that to around 15 before and after the pool party.
Shock level is 31, if you are SLAMing your pool and trying to kill algae then FC needs to be help at 31 ppm during the SLAM.
It is safe to swim when FC is between 7 and 31.

We have cya of 70 and had to slam a few weeks ago, I held FC 25-28 and we swam every day.

Your question on high CYA and daily chlorine usage. Yes, you will lose less FC to the sun with 80 CYA than you will with 40 CYA. Most pools lose 2-4ppm FC per day, some up to 6. So, when keeping your FC at 9-10 you should have to add 2-4ppm per day. And whatever that number is will be less than if your CYA were lower.

Your question on high CYA and daily chlorine usage. Yes, you will lose less FC to the sun with 80 CYA than you will with 40 CYA. Most pools lose 2-4ppm FC per day, some up to 6. So, when keeping your FC at 9-10 you should have to add 2-4ppm per day. And whatever that number is will be less than if your CYA were lower.

If there is less FC loss per day, why would more people not run a higher CYA level? Is it hard on the skin/eyes/pool equipment? It seems to me that once you get to the higher chlorine level, it would be more financially beneficial to run the higher CYA levels. Thanks.

Woohoo my FC was up to 7 this morning, and my CC was still only .5! :cool: Thanks everybody!

We are planning to have a few people over this weekend, so I will take the FC up to somewhere between 11 and 15ppm this evening. Question on that: Why do we raise the chlorine levels above normal levels, prior to lots of people swimming? Is this to safe guard against folks peeing in the pool and the water being dirty, or does chlorine dissipate faster when folks are in the water moving around a lot? :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is to get a head start on bather waste. Even clean, non-peeing people are dirty. If enough people get in the pool they can use up your FC before the end of the day. People will start using up your FC as soon as they get in the water. If your FC drops below minimum the water will start clouding, bacteria won't be killed and algae will start growing. If you reach that point it will take a lot more chlorine to catch up than it does to stay ahead. When we have 8 or 10 people swim all day I'll even do a mid-way FC check and add some bleach if it is under 10.

OK, I brought it up to around 15 last night since there will be a lot of swimming today and tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on it. Any idea why the water would still be somewhat cloudy? Do people here believe in the "water clarifiers", or is that frowned upon?

Hey all, things are going great. My handle broke off of my sand filter, so I had it set to Recirculate instead of filter, which was causing the cloudiness. Once I fixed the handle, I ran the filter and backwashed it a few times and voila, clear water! DOH! :D

I have run into another issue with using a lot of chlorine though... here's a rundown:

FC =
.5 last night
7 this morning (even though I added enough chlorine to supposedly bring it to 10 per the calculator)
2.5 tonight

It was 95 degrees outside today, the pool temp is 84 degrees, and it probably got 8hrs worth of sun.

I am using $3-$5 worth of bleach a day just to keep the pool within range, and it always falls out of range before I fix it at night. Can someone please explain this, or let me know if this is normal? Could it be because my CYA is still 80? Thanks.

Sounds to me like you are growing algae and it is consuming chlorine. Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Chlorine should be kept at or above target level at all times to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. If the chlorine level drops below minimum then the pool is j sanitized and algae will grow. Once algae starts it will consume chlorine quickly.

If you want to validate that there is algae growing you can raise your FC to 10 and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). If it passes you got lucky, keep FC at or above target. If it doesn't pass the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the pool to get rid of the algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.