First time opening pool with sand filter

Sand does not wear out. It is millions of years old, and the use in a sand filter does not harm it.

Only time to replace sand is when you fall in the trap of using pool store potions. Many of them gum up the sand.

Yeah, I was more concerned with whether or not what's being filtered through it would end up clogging it, rendering it less effective.
With sand filters, you backwash them to clean all the crud out but you can wait to to that until the pressure in the filter increases to 25% above where it started.
My sand filter runs about 10psi so I only need to backwash when pressure gets to 35psi, but it’s never done that. I just backwash after we get a big rain to drain down some of the water.

Reactions: ScottRDay
If you are concerned, open it up and inspect the sand. Try doing a deep clean of the filter with a hose in it. That’s all it should need unless gummed up with stuff you shouldn’t use in your pool :)

Reactions: ScottRDay
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.