First time opening pool with sand filter

ScottRDay

May 27, 2020
Richmond, OH
We installed an 18' Intex pool last year, so this is the first time opening it up after winter. We have a sand filter. Do I just keep the same sand that was in it from last year, or do I need to change the sand every year?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Sand does not wear out. It is millions of years old, and the use in a sand filter does not harm it.

Only time to replace sand is when you fall in the trap of using pool store potions. Many of them gum up the sand.

Husky25

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Only time you really have to change the sand is if you are converting from Baquacil or regularly use a flocculant.

"Dirty" sand is actually more efficient.

Reactions: ScottRDay

Bperry

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Yeah, I was more concerned with whether or not what's being filtered through it would end up clogging it, rendering it less effective.
With sand filters, you backwash them to clean all the crud out but you can wait to to that until the pressure in the filter increases to 25% above where it started.
My sand filter runs about 10psi so I only need to backwash when pressure gets to 35psi, but it’s never done that. I just backwash after we get a big rain to drain down some of the water.

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
If you are concerned, open it up and inspect the sand. Try doing a deep clean of the filter with a hose in it. That’s all it should need unless gummed up with stuff you shouldn’t use in your pool :)

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.