Harmony01

Sep 20, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just bought our house last may and while we spent the summer keeping chemicals in balance, I feel like I was in a fog. Sure I learned a few things, but I'm tired of going to watsons and asking them what to do. I dont feel that some of them know a whole lot. I finally bought a tk100 kit so this year I can really focus one learning and preventing.

Since opening I have been battling high alkalinity. Ph has been high too but it comes down when I add the acid, just to creep back up again. My old liquid tests were saying alkalinity was around 160 while the one I did today with the tk100 said it was 280. I'm going to post my test results from today and hopefully someone can help me figure it out.

Vinyl lined pool
Approx 50,000 gallons - we normally treat for 50k to 55k.

Chlorine drop test
FC: 4.5
CC: 0.5
Calcium hardness: 125
(How relevant is this in a vinyl pool?)
CYA: 30
Total alkalinity: 280
PH
Drops: 7.5
Meter: 8

Water looks clear

Other than throwing more acid I dont know what to do? Or is that what I need to do?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP. You need to give us a little more information on your testing methods. You keep sayy drop and meter? What specific test kit and metere are you using.

You say you are battling high TA, but list it at 28??? I'm confused.

So, please tell us how you are getting these numbers.

Welcome to TFP. You need to give us a little more information on your testing methods. You keep sayy drop and meter? What specific test kit and metere are you using.

You say you are battling high TA, but list it at 28??? I'm confused.

So, please tell us how you are getting these numbers.
Sorry that was a typo. Alkalinity is 280. By drops I mean the liquid drops from the tk100 kit. By meter I mean from the ph meter I bought as an add on to hopefully be more precise as ph is what I struggled with last summer the most it seems. I mentioned the kit in the post. Forgot to post it with the results.

Got it. I personally have never used a meter, the drops have worked fine for me.

Lets get one thing off your list, CH only needs to be worried about in a vinyl pool if it gets too high when it can cause scale. You can test it once a month or so, but unless you use a calcium based product like CalHypo granular chlorine don't expect it to move much.

How does the water look?

TA is the last thing we worry about, and even then we ignore it sometimes. The only bad thing high TA does is cause your pH to rise a little quicker. It doesn't rot your liner, it doesn't damage you pump.

With TA that high I'm going ot guess your source water (what you fill the pool with) has high TA. It may just be something you live with and don't worry about. Test your source water.

When you do the TA test wipe the tip of the R-0009 dropper between each drop with a damp paper towel. There’s a known issue of static buildup in the tips that can cause the drops to be small and this test high. After 3-4 tests it should be cleared up.

Got it. I personally have never used a meter, the drops have worked fine for me.

Lets get one thing off your list, CH only needs to be worried about in a vinyl pool if it gets too high when it can cause scale. You can test it once a month or so, but unless you use a calcium based product like CalHypo granular chlorine don't expect it to move much.

How does the water look?

TA is the last thing we worry about, and even then we ignore it sometimes. The only bad thing high TA does is cause your pH to rise a little quicker. It doesn't rot your liner, it doesn't damage you pump.

With TA that high I'm going ot guess your source water (what you fill the pool with) has high TA. It may just be something you live with and don't worry about. Test your source water.
Ok. Thank you. I will. I thought I read not to worry much about calcium.

Water looks clear. We do have broken lateral so sand is filtering in. That is being fixed beginning of june but other than that it looks perfect.
When you do the TA test wipe the tip of the R-0009 dropper between each drop with a damp paper towel. There’s a known issue of static buildup in the tips that can cause the drops to be small and this test high. After 3-4 tests it should be cleared up.
Ah good to know. I did wipe the tip of it today between drops, Yesterday I did not and it was in the 300's. I'll see if it drops in the next few tests though. Thank you!!

How does the water look?

Water is clear and looks perfect. I did test the water from the hose we use and the TA was 410 so sadly you may be right lol. I'm glad to hear it's not to much of an issue though!!

It just means your pH will drift up more quickly. You may be adding acid a lot. Eventually the TA will come down. Hope for lots of rain and try to drain a bit before the rain to let the rain dilute the TA. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.