First time opening - CYA and CC question

Okay the pool threw a new one at me today. I have Leslie's test mine once a week just because my own testing stuff doesn't cover CYA or hardness. Last Saturday I had 45ppm of CYA. Today I had 0. I've never seen that happen before. I know pool store tests can be faulty at times but this gal that tested knows her stuff pretty well and her results always match my own on the stuff I am able to test.

I just read a bunch of posts on CYA loss on here and consensus seems to be that CYA goes away at about 3ppm/month in pools. That seems accurate to what I was seeing last summer. I have had to replace a lot of water, almost two inches worth per day. I believe this is due to a leak right on the inside of the skimmer that I'm about to patch up. I did one backwash during this week during my weekly pool maintenance routine. Has anyone had that drastic of a CYA decrease over a week? And if so, was it due to water replacement?

CYA can indeed diminish over time - slowly. There's no way there would be a drastic reduction over close to 40 ppm unless you drained 40% of your water. It's simply a matter of poor pool store testing - indoors which once again Taylor does not recommend. The CYA test is the cornerstone of sanitation for a pool and dictates the proper FC level. It's a prime reason why at-home testing with the right test kit and using the R-0013 reagent is so important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.