First time filter cleaning - Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter DE4820

Aug 6, 2018
Orange, CA
So my pool got replastered with mini pebble last summer in July. Since then, I began managing the pool on my own for the first time and let go of our pool guy. It's been going great. Since summer is around the corner, I'm wondering if I now need to clean my pool filter. I have a Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter DE4820. When our pool was replastered, our pool filter was cleaned as well. So its been about 10 months since the last filter cleaning.

I read some guides here on DE filters. Is it as simple as opening up the filter, cleaning out (hosing down) the grids, putting back together the grids and then back in the filter, then close it all up and then add DE? I'm noticing that I don't have a backwash valve. The return line goes straight out to the pool. So I'm not sure how this would change the cleaning procedures on the filter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Photo May 05, 3 49 09 PM.jpg

Photo May 05, 3 49 21 PM.jpg

Photo May 05, 3 49 59 PM.jpg

You pretty much described it. I can't believe you don't have a push-pull backwash valve, at least.

Wear old clothes. Resist the urge to wrestle the lid off; you'll end up with fiberglass in your forearms. Ask me how I know. Undo the wing nut inside and lift off the top clamp and then you can lift the grids out one at a time and carry them off somewhere to hit 'em with the hose. Maybe stop on the way to knock the DE into the trash can. If the grid seems stuck, just jiggle it a little.

It's really not that hard. It's easier with a backwash valve, though.

You pretty much described it. I can't believe you don't have a push-pull backwash valve, at least.

Wear old clothes. Resist the urge to wrestle the lid off; you'll end up with fiberglass in your forearms. Ask me how I know. Undo the wing nut inside and lift off the top clamp and then you can lift the grids out one at a time and carry them off somewhere to hit 'em with the hose. Maybe stop on the way to knock the DE into the trash can. If the grid seems stuck, just jiggle it a little.

It's really not that hard. It's easier with a backwash valve, though.

Yeah, it was just like that when we got the house years ago, no backwash valve on the filter. Thank you for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.