First time fighting algae and want to add DE

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis
So woke up to cloudy water, and what looks like dead algae in floor bottom, so I started the SLAM process and have been vacuuming/backwashing. I’m off for the next 3 days so hopefully I can get it cleared up. I read that you can add DE to a sand filter and I want to try that. I did read the instructions in Pool School but wanted to get advice from anyone who has tried it.
Does it really help clear it up faster?
Where do you buy DE and is there a certain brand?
Does it go out of the filter when you backwash?

Let me know what y’all think! This is the first time in 4 years I’ve had algae

You can get DE in the pool section of Lowes where I live but it is a big box........maybe 20 pounds? To add DE to your sand filter, you likely won't need more than a cup or two at a time.

I mixed it in a bucket with water so I could pour it as a liquid slowly into the skimmer. I think it took me 2 cups to raise the pressure about a pound. Start with less and give it several minutes before checking for pressure increase. Then once there, you'll need to watch your pressure closely as it will go up more rapidly trapping more finer particulates.

- - - Updated - - -

And........if you know someone with a DE pool filter......you might want to try to get some from them instead of buying a full box. Also......do not confuse garden grade DE with pool filter DE. The pool filter DE is treated differently.

Yeah, DE added to a sand filter will help capture smallest of particle. It will of course wash out with any backwashing, as it is sitting like a patty on top of the sand. But you can again replace it. To add it you *slowly* put it in to your skimmer to go to the filter and you have to watch carefully to stop adding when the filter pressure rises by 1psi.

I purchased my DE at Ace Hardware. Its labeled HTH DE Filter Aid. It was like a 10 pound box for about $15. Far more than I'll use in 20 years I'm sure.

Normally we advise folks to hold off on using it until its closer to the end of a SLAM. I wonder (not positive) that adding it early in a SLAM will make the sand filter bog down faster with the algae debris and you'll be backwashing a LOT. Also remember that a *slightly* dirty filter actually works better, so too much backwashing is counter productive.

I'd focus more on the bleach or liquid chlorine more than DE at this early point in your SLAM. Gotta slay those green boogers so hit 'em hard and fast! Keep up on the testing and re-dosing, even hourly, if you can. THat's what will make a SLAM go faster.

Maddie :flower:

Ok, I’ll check it out tomorrow at Lowe’s and see what I think. Do people add it here and there throughout the season just to clarify their water when needed? If so, and it doesn’t expire, I don’t care to buy the large box and just use it up. I will wait until the end of the SLAM process for sure.
I have a 2 speed pump and have had it on high since i started the slam yesterday evening, should I leave it on high or is it ok to switch to low just for the night?

Thank you all for the help!

Well..woke up and tested pool, lost 3 in chlorine overnight so the battle continues. We did get almost an inch of rain so hopefully it will stay cloudy today and work in my favor. My neighbors think I’m crazy outside with a flashlight all hours of the night

Well..woke up and tested pool, lost 3 in chlorine overnight so the battle continues. We did get almost an inch of rain so hopefully it will stay cloudy today and work in my favor. My neighbors think I’m crazy outside with a flashlight all hours of the night

Good job. You are early in the process.

Wait until the neighbors see 30+ bleach bottles in your trash ---------------------

So my overnight test the night before last I lost 1 in chlorine, but my cc tested was .5, so I continued to keep at shock level another 24 hours just in case. This morning I tested and only lost .5 in chlorine and cc test was 0. I started to add the DE slowly and it only took about 1 1/2 cups to raise my presssure 2psi. I waited until it raised another 2 then backwashed. You definitely add it slowly and then wait to check pressure.

It’s still not “crystal clear” but pretty darn close. I am pretty picky. It might be my ladder that is the culprit, I’m afraid algae might be inside the rails etc, but I’ll worry about that if this happens again. I just wanted to update the thread in case it might help someone who runs across it in the future. My first SLAM and it does take patience and time but it does the job!

I guess I’m ok to let the chlorine drop to normal levels?

It’s a beautiful day in St. Louis, clear skies and 81:cool: so of course I’m soaking it up while I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I previously had a DE filter, but when we bought this house there was a sand filter. I started putting a hairnet in the skimmer basket (like a skimmer sock, but less expensive and disposable) and adding DE to the filter because we often have a lot of pollen and the pool seemed like it was taking a long time to clear. It cleared up quickly.

The hairnet inside the skimmer also helps catch a lot before it gets to the filter so you don't have to backwash as often when the pollen is really bad. I actually bought a spare skimmer basket so I could just swap them out, clean the basket replace the hairnet and have it ready for the next swap.

I keep a hairnet in my skimmer basket and add a really heaping 1/4 cup (probably 1/2 cup) to my filter every time I backwash all the time now. Haven't had any negative effects and the pool looks great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.