First Time Dealing With CC's

Aug 5, 2015
Manalapan, NJ
I've been a pool owner for the past 5 years and through what I've learned on this site, I have always had perfect water.

Today I opened to a cloudier than usual pool. My opening numbers were as follows:

pH 8.2
FC 0.5
CC 3.5
TA 50
CYA 0 (or at least I filled the entire tube and could still see the dot)

Seeing the CC of 3.5, I knew I needed to SLAM, but I have never had to do this before so that's the reason for this post.

First thing I did was add enough muriatic acid to take the pH down to 7.5.

Next I added enough stabilizer to a skimmer sock to give me an additional 30 on my CYA. Figured if my CYA is actually 20 then I'm only going up to 50.

Then using the chlorine CYA chart, I added two gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine to get me to an FC of 10. (I had added one gallon a few days ago before the official open)

About an hour later I tested for FC but it was still pretty much at 0. I added another gallon, but I'm not sure how long to wait to get an accurate reading?

Am I doing this right? Do I just keep dumping liquid chlorine in until I get to an acceptable FC level? Or is there something else I should be doing before adding chlorine?

I am of course running the filter non-stop and brushing the floors and walls.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I will get this worked out thanks to this awesome website.

Very likely your CYA broke down into ammonia.

It takes about 10X as much bleach as ammonia to neutralize it. You might have made things worse by feeding more CYA to the bacteria that created the ammonia from the CYA, but it's likely dead now with the bleach you've added. Now you get to just keep pouring bleach in until it holds. It'll go to nothing almost as fast as you pour it in until the ammonia is all gone.

So now I'm completely baffled. I have dumped in a total of 5 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine and every test continues to show zero fc.

After adding the DPD powder there has been zero pink so I have not even been bothering with the R-0871.

This last test I decided to check for CC. I added 5 drops of R-0003 thinking it would turn pink. Instead of pink it turned yellow.

So now I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with my DPD powder? It's towards the end of the container. I have another bottle on the way. But just as a sanity check, I decided to use the yellow side of the taylor k-1000 kit to check chlorine. After 5 yellow drops, the solution was an extremely dark orange. Almost red. Now I am worried that the FC has been going up this whole time but the test was giving inaccurate results.

Any thoughts???

So now I'm completely baffled. I have dumped in a total of 5 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine and every test continues to show zero fc.

After adding the DPD powder there has been zero pink so I have not even been bothering with the R-0871.

This last test I decided to check for CC. I added 5 drops of R-0003 thinking it would turn pink. Instead of pink it turned yellow.

So now I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with my DPD powder? It's towards the end of the container. I have another bottle on the way. But just as a sanity check, I decided to use the yellow side of the taylor k-1000 kit to check chlorine. After 5 yellow drops, the solution was an extremely dark orange. Almost red. Now I am worried that the FC has been going up this whole time but the test was giving inaccurate results.

Any thoughts???
That's what the OTO test is for--- as a sanity check. Orange isn't horrible. Mid 20s. When it starts turning brown you got problems.

And now you know there's no ammonia.

Take advantage of the high FC and brush brush brush. Circulate the water everywhere.

Thanks so much for your quick replies. Do I take the OTO test results as confirmation that the DPD powder is no good and to no longer test with it?

That would be the only explanation for an orange OTO test and a DPD test that does not turn pink correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.