First time closing above ground pool

Agp2020

Aug 25, 2020
New Jersey
I read the article (very helpful) but have a few questions.

do I cover the skimmer with the poo cover?

I plan on leaving the sand filter out. Do I take off the multi port valve? It’s ok to leave the pipe section that is beneath the sand in place? (Forgot what’s that called)

thanks

Attachments

• DFC8884E-653E-45F6-85A9-5E4D0851800F.jpeg
    DFC8884E-653E-45F6-85A9-5E4D0851800F.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 7
But is the pool cover supposed to cover the skimmer?
I would be hesitant to do that because the cover can really place a lot of stress on anything it's connected to from heavy snow, rains, ice, or wind. With all that tension it might dislodge the skimmer. What many people do it cover the skimmer lid holes themselves. Some will place the skimmer lid in a baggie of some type then reinstall it to keep water out since it would be exposed outside of the pool cover. Perhaps some others in your area will reply to confirm how they do it.

Ok. That’s what I have been reading about the cover, to keep it above the skimmer. Just didn’t know if the skimmer itself needed some type of cover. I’m going to install the plate on the poolside. I’m assuming any water would drain out with the hose being disconnected.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I don’t live where it gets real frozen but i do keep something that can give(like a coke bottle) inside the skimmer incase the cover gets full & pushes water in there - i also wrap the outside of the skimmer with a garbage bag. In my 2 returns i put screw in plugs w/ o rings & on the outside after taking the pipe off i put those plastic & styrofoam faucet covers. I put all the hoses, valves, & swg’s in the shed & cover the sand filter & pump (after draining & drying out well) with a small tarp & bungees.
i store all the plugs in the pumpbasket
I try to keep my cover as free of leaves & water as often as possible - it takes maybe 5-10 min/ week to scoop the leaves & start the siphon cover pump.
when its fairly dry i can blow the leaves off w/ my blower.
I also periodically check the skimmer for water & peel back the cover a dab & check the pool’s clarity & fc level.

Last year was my first closing and I did cover the skimmer per advice from here and didn't have a problem. Of course, that was only one year and many could continue to add stress. I am planning using a skimmer plate this year, so I may not worry about it. I store all of my hoses/pump indoors, so any rain will just flow through the skimmer to the ground as if it wasn't there, or I could use a garbage bag, like a pp suggested.

I did use one of the pumps that sits on the pool and is "on" 24/7 and will only pump when the water level is around 1 inch. I found that really helpful for not having to drain the top amid freezing temps as well as keeping some weight on the cover during heavy winds (I do weigh the cover down with bungee cords and chlorine jugs filled with water).

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think the main thing is that whatever u do - check on it periodically so if something isn’t working u can remedy it. Winterizing is not a complete set & forget situation. The ones who never check on occasion are the ones who usually have issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.