First Time Caller, Never Listened

Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Hey all, well with hot summers here in Minnesota and a bunch (5) of kids we finally decided to get a pool on our tree farm, so here I am. I realize that there is a lot of regular work that goes into owning one and I'm eager to learn, knowing full well that this will be another "thing" on top of kids, house, poultry, farm stuff & general land care *sigh*

We got a Intex 15' x 48" as a starter and hope to some day move to an in-ground one, but I need to quickly get up to speed on all my chems and necessary tools so myself, my kids and my wife and enjoy our new toy :). The only problem is I know nothing about their care and maintenace. My last experience with pool chems was when I was a teen when I was a lifeguard so I need ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.

I literally just filled it up over the course of the last day and a half and shocked it over last night now that the water was high enough to reach the pump, but am now looking at green water and a picture of water tests that I'm scratching my head at what to approach first. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I see you already have another thread for just getting started HERE, but here are a few very basic starter points as you read the link below:

1. New water has no stabilizer (CYA) in it. You need at least 30 ppm worth. Add granule stabilizer via the sock-soaking method and use our PoolMath APP to help you with the dosage amount.
2. Use liquid chlorine or regular bleach for your free chlorine. That's the standard. Bagged products tend to add byproducts. Once you have the stabilizer from step 1 in the water, maintain the FC to the current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3. Keep the pH in the 7.2 - 7.8 range.
4. You must have a TF-100 (link in my sig) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If you don't have one, get one on order ASAP.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
well, here we are about a week later and a full drain and refill because I didn't like how it was 5" off level and I think I'm in a good state. I made a filter and that seems to have done wonders.

June 5th
pool1.jpg

June 8th
pool2.jpg

This morning:
pool3.jpg

Just got my new K-2006C test kit and I'm a little intimidated, but I'm sure that'll change

Reactions: RonsPlc
Are you filling from a well? Well Water usually contains Iron, and that is what it looks like on one of your pictures(brownish). Make sure you dont raise your FC levels too high as in Shocking. Always keep your levels as per FC/CYA Levels