First time building an above ground pool

noellenoodle

Apr 13, 2024
Round Rock, TX
Hello! I am a first-time pool owner/builder and I have no idea what I am doing. I know how to teach water exercises, but have never been responsible for building or maintaining a pool. I used to teach at local YMCAs. I could use any tips or suggestions for this project!

I am trying to build a simple backyard therapy pool for my in-laws. basically for them to get in and walk around the pool. They both have mobility issues and I am a big fan of water exercise. I'm hoping having it right in their backyard would motivate them to exercise more. They are renting a home across the street from the house we own and live in. Their backyard is much more level than ours and had previously had an above-ground pool so there's a good spot for it. The owners have given permission to put a pool back there and the lease is for at least two years. I need to find out about Texas permits and our HOA. Several houses in the neighborhood have above-ground pools so I'm sure it's possible.

I found a good deal on a Bestway Above Ground Steel Swimming Pool with Pump, DuraPlus 3-Ply Liner, and FrameLink System, 4,024 Gallon Capacity, Silver 14' x 48". Because of the reviews on Amazon I plan to upgrade the pump to Intex 28633EG 2500 GPH Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump System with 1,900 GPH Flow Rate, 110-120V GFCI, and Automatic Timer for Above Ground Pools.

I assume my next step is to set up a footprint for the pool. The spot for the previous pool is not paved but is a cleared spot on the lawn. So I'm assuming paver sand and a pool liner pad are next? I have this liner picked out but not purchased: Abimars Thicker Pool Liner Pad for Above Ground Swimming Pools, 15 Foot Round Pool Mats for Pool Bottom, Seamless Comfort, Double Density Puncture Resistant, Black

I have read suggestions for putting the metal legs on paver stones? I saw some people suggest composite wood?

Both of my in-laws have trouble with their legs so I've been trying to figure out how to have good entry and exit stairs. My big concern is finding steps that aren't too tall with very sturdy handrails. The best thing I've found so far is VEVOR Dock Ladder 6 Steps, 500lbs Load Pool Steps, Adjustable Height Aluminum Dock Stairs, Pontoon Boat Ladder with Handrails & Widen Nonslip Rubber Pedals for Lake/Pool/Marine Boarding/RV/House.

I could use any help or suggestions ya'll might have. It doesn't have to be pretty or last forever. I certainly can't afford very much. But I'd like it to be safe and easy for them to use.

Thanks!
Noelle

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So yes, setting up an AGP is a fairly common DIY project, but if not done correctly can become a bit of a nightmare. It's good you came here for some feedback. So I'll start with a few basics and let others reply.

- The base is EVERYTHING. If the pool is not level, the pool waterline will show it and you'll have to start over. Its' also a safety issue, so be sure to have a solid, level pad for the pool.
- Yes, a good ground cover is a must. Some people try just the cheap plastic that comes with the pool, but experienced AGP owners use things like Gorilla Pads or home insulation panels to prevent rocks, twigs, and such to penetrate the pool liner.
- Placing that underlayment and setting up the pool frame would be next. Some people use 2x10 pieces of boards under the pool post footings, while others use flat paver stones. The area under those stones need to be flat and solid, sometimes with some gravel as a base, to prevent the pavers from cracking in half or tilting later.
- Once the pool is full, the water needs to mix for a while before testing. This is very important - You MUST have a good at-home test kit. We recommend a TF-Series test kit, like in my signature, but a Taylor K-2006C will work too. Ether way, have one of those.
- You will hear lots of novice advice from friends or neighbors, be cautious about that advice. Most often it's wrong unless they are a TFP member. Test strips are horrible and pool store advice is almost always wrong.
- Bookmark and read our Pool Care Basics for LOTS of great articles and recommended chemicals.
- The basic pump & filters that comes with those entry-level pools are small and not very efficient. For that reason it is even more critical you have a good test kit to prevent algae. It makes pool life MUCH easier.
- You will most likely be using liquid chlorine for your daily sanitizer. Don't drops bags of pool store shock or tablets in there. Stick around and we'll explain why later.

Lots to learn, but we'll coach you through it. :)

Welcome aboard! I too have some mobility challenges, so I totally understand your concern about entry and exit. I do have a system from Confer that is actual steps both inside and outside the pool, but I really want a sturdy deck on the outside, with steps (not a ladder) on the inside, with hand rails. One key thing to pay attention to is how you are going to keep inside steps clean - they are notorious dirt and algae traps. I’m going to go take a look at what you mentioned in your post for steps, and will check back in with more thoughts.

Again, welcome, and don’t hesitate to ask questions! Photos of the project along the way are always welcomed as well!

I can't help with the pool but entry stairs maybe. We now have the Confer entry stair system that consists of 2- 1X stairs, the bridge and self closing gate system and it is very sturdy. Our original pool had a Vinyl Works stair system that was also sturdy; it doesn't look like the one we had is available anymore. One drawback with the stairs is they tend to be a little steep but they are less steep and much easier to get into and out of the pool vs a ladder. Being plastic they will be less robust then metal but it depends on how much hanging on to the hand rails a person needs to do. Metal stairs may run the risk of puncturing the liner. I'm a big guy and the only con with the Confer is the bridge deflects down a little when I step on it, didn't feel that with the Vinyl Works.

Both stair systems are heavy but the Confer is able to be disassembled for removal (we need to worry about winter) and the Confer seems to float a little without some extra help with ballast which is easy to do. Our old Vinyl Works steps didn't seem to have an issue with floating. The con of the Vinyl Works was it couldn't be taken apart and was a massive piece to take out of the pool and move. Never underestimate how heavy a step system filled with water will be - holds true for both systems.

Both steps seem(ed) to collect debris behind them with the Confer a little more so but I attribute that to the Confer being closer to the pool wall compared to our old steps - our kids used to swim under the old steps, no room for that now. I have had to lift the confer steps to vacuum or get a current behind it for that debris which was no big deal. The Vinyl Works being white and a little opaque had algae grow in it where I haven't seen it in the Confer.

If you're planning on a deck, which I'm assuming no for a rental property, then there are other options as well.