First time adding chlorine bleach --- think i'm doing it right

CMorrow

Gold Supporter
Jul 18, 2018
Austin, TX
Hi, all. Today I'll add liquid bleach to the pool for the first time. I plugged in some numbers to the calculator but wasn't exactly sure I was doing that correctly, so just wanted to ask folks here.

Here are my current levels:

FC = 1
CC = 0
TC = 1
PH = 7.4
CYA = 30

At the moment, I'm thinking I need to bring the FC up to the 3 - 5 range.

I'm thinking I should add about 79 ounces of 6% bleach, or 40 oz. of 12% bleach. That sound about right?

Thanks!

C,

With a CYA of 30 your target FC should be between 4 and 6 ppm.. See this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

If this were my pool I would run it at 6 ppm and then add more Liquid Chlorine when it dropped just below 4...

This time a year, the pool will be slow to use the FC, so it just means you can go longer between doses..

To get from 1 ppm of FC to 6 ppm, you will need to add 95 oz. of 12.5% Liquid Chlorine or about 190 oz. of 6% Liquid Chlorine. That said, you are treating this like a game of darts, where only a bulls-eyes gets you points.. It is more like a game of hand grenades.. where close is close enough.. :p

If this were my pool, I would add a full gallon (128 oz.) of 12.5% and not look back... And then just top it off once a week or maybe less...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I started using bleach and results are good this far. I bought the 6% bleach from Walmart, seems to work just fine. I like being able to go but 3 gallons of bleach and chlorinate pool when I like, rather that rushing to pool store when they're open.

I have a salt system, so I don't need too much chlorine. I only have to hit pool store for muriatic acid. I found that Lowes or Home Depot has a better price on DE but salt is better at pool store. Go figure.

Pool Math is a fantastic tool. The assumptions are the weakness, for example actual pool water volume, actual chlorine % applied, testing error, etc. Also biology is a moving target driven by temperature and natural bio-load including pool usage. Add in the changing solar radiation throughout the year and its effect on free chlorine, the slow degradation of CYA, impacts of back washing, splash out, fill water and pH fluctuations. The grenade analogy is a good one and it works just fine. Testing is key and keeping in front of the problems paramount especially as we move from winter to spring. Think of the tiny weed seedlings in the garden when conditions are right and how quickly they get established in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.