First thought on "Ultimate Above Ground Winter Cover"

Jul 3, 2016
Delphos, OH
So I finally jumped in head first and bought the "Ultimate Above Ground Pool Winter Cover". Installation really isn't all that bad. Easier than the cover using a pillow or inner tube to keep the center raised and a cable to keep it secure. The installation instruction are a bit sketchy if you don't have 12" top rails which I do not. I set my loops at the very farthest measurement recommended for a 12" cap at 30" below the top. I should have set them even farther down from the top! In order to get decent tension on the cover (which should remain somewhat tight) I had to stretch the included tarp straps to widen them in order to maintain proper tension.
I'm very disappointed that the new design has sewn loops rather than brass grommets. I put very little tension on one of the loops and the stitching that holds it to the cover came loose and the loop came off. I can see in a high wind situation that I would most certainly will see, the loops coming off. I can see why they would replace the old system of brass grommets as over time they do tend to pull out but I'm not sure sewn loops is a better solution. I did get some rain after installation and the center mesh did allow that water to drain off into the pool.
My primary concern is that for a cover costing over $300 it isn't going to last due to the sewn loops. I suppose only time will tell and I will certainly update once this cover has seen an Ohio winter. My initial thought is that I would have been better off just buying a full micro mesh cover with grommets at a fairly substantial savings, going to a home improvement store and purchasing tarp straps along with either metal or plastic conduit clamps (the cover includes plastic conduit clamps) and fastening the cover in the same manner as this cover.
So far how I would rate the cover with 1 being poor and 5 being best
Build quality: 2 (due to sewn loops)
Ease of first installation: 3
Ease of installation after loops are installed on uprights: 5
Quality of material: I'd rate a 4 as it seems to be good quality material
Function: It did drain water off the top which is what I was looking for so 5 there. My top does tend to bubble up but FAR less than the old one with cable and clips so a 4 here.
Again, I will update once the cover gets a good test so keep in mind the above is my initial assessment.

UPDATE: I was able to contact the manufacturer customer service. They are replacing the cover under warranty. I'm very impressed with their customer service. I really didn't expect them to replace the cover for a sewn loop that came off.
As for the company I purchased the cover from... not so much. I have emailed them twice and received no reply.

Update on the cover:
Well the wind is blowing literally around 50 MPH and the cover is no longer covering the pool. Expensive learning lesson I guess. I know a cable secured cover wouldn't have come off. I'll update when I get a chance to view the carnage in the light of day. :mad:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I wonder how many loops gave way?

I haven't counted the loops in the cover that were sewn in that came off but I found several of them on the ground by the pool. A few of the hooks came out of the rubber bungee chords that tension the cover which what I would have preferred to see. Some of the plastic D loops that the rubber chords go through snapped. I questioned when I bought this and had the one loop fall off how well this would hold up to a NW OH winter. Now I know. Pretty disappointed overall. I'm thinking a total micromesh cover with a wire and winch will be in my near future. Either that or I'm going back to a conventional cover with a few inner tubes in the center of the pool and just put up with the JiffyPop look when it gets windy.

Just to update again, I just talked with yardgard about the cover. They are going to again cover under warranty but they are going to let me pick a different cover. I'm thinking of going with the enviromesh cover they offer but I'm going to do some studying as this is already more covers than I have gone through in the two previous years of pool ownership and the cover I replaced was a used cover that came with the used pool I purchased.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well the wind is blowing literally around 50 MPH and the cover is no longer covering the pool. Expensive learning lesson I guess. I know a cable secured cover wouldn't have come off. I'll update when I get a chance to view the carnage in the light of day. :mad:

Yeah, some crazy wind we have had over the last few nights! I have one of those cable/winch covers over my oval AGP. There is about 800+ gallons of water on it right in the middle and the ends have been flapping around now that the ice is melted. I was worried that it may come off with all that wind getting under it, but it's still on there.

Good luck with your cover woes...

I'm going to talk to the manufacturer and see if I can get a refund. The enviromesh they offer is half the price of the one I bought. I see no reason to spend 300+ on a cover and then have them send me the cheaper one. Worst case I might have them send me the original cover I had and see if I can sell the new one on ebay.

Well, no joy on the refund front! They said they can't issue a refund under a warranty claim which I think is total BS. And since I paid over $300 for this cover I can't see having them send me a new cover that cost about half of what this one did. I think I'm going to have them send me a new "Ultimate" cover and just ebay the thing and see how much of the initial cost I can recoup. It's a shame since with brass grommets and metal loops for the uprights this would be a decent cover. I still don't get why they went away from the grommets??

To close out my review I'd say customer service is good but the product simply isn't what I was looking for. I think it would work fine in a situation where the pool has a privacy fence protecting it. In my case the pool is out in the open and subject to the full force of mother nature. If the manufacturer was still producing this cover with the metal grommets rather than the sewn loops I think it would have held up better. Another weak point is the loop that attaches to the upright. The manufacturer uses a plastic loop (actually a gray outdoor conduit clamp). The plastic couldn't withstand the pull of the rubber chords pulling against them when it got windy. Under normal wind conditions the only issue I had was the cover would still bubble like the conventional cable and winch covers when the wind blows. When first installed this was not the case. I believe due to the cold and the wind the rubber chords would not relax back to their original length allowing the cover to droop slightly which would then allow the cover to blow up when the winds picked up.
Overall disappointed but hopefully I'll be able to recoup a fair amount by selling the new cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.