First TF-100 test results. Please help!

Apr 27, 2018
Houston, Texas
Hi! We received our TF-100 test kit and I just completed the first tests. We have a new pool with Pebblesheen plaster.

Here are my results:

pH 8.2
FC 1.0
CC 0.5
TA 130
CH 150 (was blue and then 15-20 seconds later turned back to red, so I added one more drop. If I count that last drop, then it's really 175.)
CYA 0 (I could see the black dot until the test tube was completely filled)
Water temp 57F

I have liquid bleach and muriatic acid that I can add. The Pool Math website also recommends adding calcium chloride for the CH level, and stabilizer for the CYA. I don't have any of that, but I can get it tomorrow.

Our project is still under construction, and we haven't had pool school yet. The PB is still using tabs in the chlorinator. I want to start getting these levels corrected though ASAP, so I'm going to start taking care of the water.

Recommendations from Pool Math are to add 83 oz of the 6% bleach, and 52 oz of the 31.45% Muriatic Acid. Should I go ahead and add that now, and then get the calcium chloride and stabilizer tomorrow?

Thanks for your help! :)

Have you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Trouble Free Pool School ?

PH 8.2 -> 7.4 I get 27 oz of 31.45% acid. You should add that to lower PH. Stir the water with a pole where you add the MA.

83 oz of 6% CL will raise your CL to 3. Add it.

You need to buy 80 oz of stabilizer to get it to 30. Add it using the sock method once you get it. Do not pour it into the skimmer.

Calculate your CSI with PoolMath. Keep it between 0 and -.3 for a new pool. Raising your CH to 250 will get your CSI to -.08 with the other changes.

Thank you, Allen! I have read those resources, but I will keep re-reading them until this becomes easier! ;-)

52 oz of acid sounded like a lot to me, but that's what the app and website recommended. This is my first time using both though, so I might be doing something wrong!

I will add the 27 oz of acid that you are recommending and I will add the 83 oz of 6% CL.

Pool Math says that my CSI is 0.36

Thanks for the help!! :)

Make sure to not add the chlorine and acid to the same area at the exact same time. Separate by a few minutes with good water movement as those two chemicals don't play nice together. If you have HEB near you, their regular Bravo bleach is 8.25% at $2.94 a gallon. That's what I use. :)

You can wait and see if your pool builder is going to add CYA and calcium.

The tabs he has in there are adding a small amount of CYA. Don't have him add anymore if you are going to run TFP methods.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.