First Test

BDFIRE

Mar 31, 2020
Tampa Bay
I decided to do my own testing after repeated discrepancies at pool stores using the same sample water. I lost all confidence. Anyhow, initial test below from my TF-100 test kit. New SWG just installed last week. Water appears nice but test results show some issues. Would the wise decision be to drain and fill prior to making any other corrections? CYA is off the chart! I have only owned the home since Oct ‘19 so I don’t have an explanation as to why. This is all new to me. TFP has been a great source and a little overwhelming at the same time... Thank you!

44B3E120-25BC-4546-A874-5115C4C9C665.png

Welcome! :wave: Ooooooh, yes. That CYA is trouble. Do the water change quickly in hopes of avoiding algae. If you get the CYA down to 70, then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you're in the clear. If so, you'll in a good place for the SWG pool.

Will do the drain and fill then. Using simple math I’ll do approx 60% fresh water and go from there. I do have some algae starting to show again but am able to keep it at bay with dry shock and a brush weekly. I’ll post new numbers hopefully this weekend. Thanks!

I do have some algae starting to show again but am able to keep it at bay
If you didn't know already, here at TFP we have a process called the SLAM Process to kill and remove algae. You should give it a look if you haven't seen it already.

You need an accurate, independent method to test the salinity of the water. When the SWCG or its controls fail, many times it shows incorrect salinity levels. With an independent test, you can see if what the SWCG is showing is actual, or not. Many folks come here having relied on the SWCG readout and now have 6000+ppm salt in their pool and have to drain half or more volume. In reality they had a component failure that fed them incorrect information.

Reactions: wireform
You need an accurate, independent method to test the salinity of the water. When the SWCG or its controls fail, many times it shows incorrect salinity levels. With an independent test, you can see if what the SWCG is showing is actual, or not. Many folks come here having relied on the SWCG readout and now have 6000+ppm salt in their pool and have to drain half or more volume. In reality they had a component failure that fed them incorrect information.
Makes perfect sense. I’ll get that test kit ordered today. Thanks!

Reactions: wireform

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After that water exchange, then you can post a new set of numbers and we can see what needs to be adjusted next. Good job testing. :goodjob:
Update:

Ran a sump pump in deep end with a bucket fill on top step at other end of pool (Amazing advice from TFP!) and did a 24 hr water changeout. My math just happened to fall right on 24 hrs based on my discharge rate... I reached my target CYA! New test numbers below. Looks like I need to drop Ph and will be ready to begin the SLAM process if I understand everything correctly?

35087A77-7BB9-4C8B-B65F-4E320C13CC64.png

Great work! Much better. So if the water is green, cloudy, or you see plumes of algae, a SLAM Process would be in order. If the water looks okay and you aren't quite sure if you need to SLAM, you can simply bump that FC up for today to keep it on the stronger side (maybe about 10 or so), then this evening do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you fail the OCLT, a SLAM is confirmed.

Also, what is the CH of your fill water? Your CH did not fall very much for that much water exchange.

Great work! Much better. So if the water is green, cloudy, or you see plumes of algae, a SLAM Process would be in order. If the water looks okay and you aren't quite sure if you need to SLAM, you can simply bump that FC up for today to keep it on the stronger side (maybe about 10 or so), then this evening do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you fail the OCLT, a SLAM is confirmed.
It turned green overnight.

full

Reactions: BDFIRE
No reason to fill out all the spots when adding a test result. The ones from the past will carry over with a date from the past under it. I saw the salinity number with a 'today' under it.

Started the SLAM process yesterday afternoon. Overshot FC just a bit. Started at 30 (should’ve been 28 based on my CYA of 70). Now the confusion starts... FC tests as follows

3PM- 30
9PM- 28
7AM- 28

Should I be seeing an FC loss at a higher rate? I ask that because there is still visible algae. I’ve brushed a few times to suspend some algae off the bottom. Looks like it has settled again this morning. I do not believe it’s pollen since the pool vac doesn’t touch it. Pump as been non stop. Filter is in good shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.