First test

pjku79

Apr 17, 2015
San Antonio
Just got my tf100 kit in and ran the quick daily test for pH and chlorine. Got some weird colors but I guess it's possible the water is way off since I'm new. Photo attached. Chlorine side looks orange and pH looks really pink. Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

I've added bleach, salt, and cya. I think the pool company came out and added something last week when they were programming the controller. They said they balanced it but I wasn't there.100906

Last edited:
Good job on the kit!
Do all the tests and post them up. I suspect your pH is high.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Make sure to get a good CYA test outside while we have this beautiful weather. For one day anyways. :)
CYA Testing:

Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

congrats on the best pool tool you can get . pH and chlorine pH and chlorine looks very high. no worries though you got great experts helping you. With their advice your numbers will be perfect soon and you'll be flying on autopilot very quickly.

Chris

Great! So what does your water look like? No algae, crystal clear, etc?
If water is good, then you need to raise your CYA. I suggest adding 20 ppm worth of CYA granules and dissolve it using the sock method. I assume you have a SWCG as you are showing salinity. A signature would help us help you.

The TA is very high, and I suspect it might be due to the 'new' reagent syndrome. Look up the Extended Test Directions in Pool School and go to the TA test section. In the notes it describes it.

Lower your pH to 7.4 or so. Reduce your SWCG run time/% to drop the FC a tad.

Not weird at all .Your high FC skews the pH test. You can raise CYA now if you wish, but you can''t do a thing to pH until you know where it really is. You'll just have to wait for FC to come down below 10. No way to rush it. See the pictures:

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With regards to lowering the FC, what is the best approach?

chlorine production is set to 70% by the builder and pump runs high for 12 hours. I believe the swg is running all the time since I don't see a schedule for it. Should I make a schedule for it? If so, what do you suggest? 12 hours during the day when the pump is on high?

Or should I lower the percentage and leave it the way it is?

Your pump run time is up to you. Depends on what type of cleaner you have, skimming needs, and the size of SWCG installed versus pool volume. More information is needed to provide guidance.

I moved your info to your signature. Please update it with pool type, etc. See my signature below for an example.

Your SWCG is a T9. Are you using PoolMath? The app has that SWCG in it and you can determine FC production based on pump time and % setting.

PJ,

At 70% and 12 hr you're adding about 2.6 ppm to your pool. Reduce to 50% and that will be about 1.9 ppm. Probably closer to most pools this time of year. But each pool is different.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.