nappi.rachelk

Jun 5, 2022
Utica, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. I'll start up front by saying I'd love to swim in the pool tomorrow, and things look swimmable at the moment - so I can add chemicals in the morning if it'll be safe to swim by the early afternoon. Also I did my first full set of reagant testing and got these results:

------------------------------------------
Test Results 06-10-2022 @ 09:41 PM
FC: 2.2
CC: 0.2
pH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: 160
CYA: < 30 (pool store says 21, Taylor test isn't precise enough to catch low levels under 30)
Temp: 66°F
CSI: -0.43

We already added a small amount of liquid chlorine for maintenance tonight, but I'm not sure what else comes next aside from CYA. We have 5lbs of granular CYA ready to add. Should we do anything with the pH or TA first?

Also, I assume the sock method won't work for 5 full lbs, so what's the best way to add this quantity?

Hi all. I'll start up front by saying I'd love to swim in the pool tomorrow, and things look swimmable at the moment - so I can add chemicals in the morning if it'll be safe to swim by the early afternoon. Also I did my first full set of reagant testing and got these results:

Test Results 06-10-2022 @ 09:41 PM
FC: 2.2
CC: 0.2
pH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: 160
CYA: < 30 (pool store says 21, Taylor test isn't precise enough to catch low levels under 30)
Temp: 66°F
CSI: -0.43

We already added a small amount of liquid chlorine for maintenance tonight, but I'm not sure what else comes next aside from CYA. We have 5lbs of granular CYA ready to add. Should we do anything with the pH or TA first?

Also, I assume the sock method won't work for 5 full lbs, so what's the best way to add this quantity?
Welcome to TFP!!!!

Add enough CYA to raise your CYA level 30ppm. Better to start slow and add more later.

Yes, sock method. Will take 24 to 48 hrs. for it to show up in testing AFTER it dissolves. Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. Ask me how I know.

Chlorinate NOW for CYA level of 40, you may have 10-20 in the pool already and need to have enough FC to sanitize. Levels are here (click the link) --> FC/CYA Levels This higher level will protect from algae.

Welcome to TFP!!!!

Add enough CYA to raise your CYA level 30ppm. Better to start slow and add more later.

Yes, sock method. Will take 24 to 48 hrs. for it to show up in testing AFTER it dissolves. Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. Ask me how I know.

Chlorinate NOW for CYA level of 40, you may have 10-20 in the pool already and need to have enough FC to sanitize. Levels are here (click the link) --> FC/CYA Levels This higher level will protect from algae.
OK, it took long enough but finally dissolved all the CYA. We are sitting at FC of 4 ppm and still have pH of 7.4. Have not retested my TA (120) or CH (160) in a couple days.

I know I should bump up this pH with Borax but my TA seems quite high. The pool store had my spouse add in TA increaser a few weeks ago, we were previously at 95 and they told us to aim for 125-150. Should I ignore the TA level and bump the PH up? Or should I leave the pH alone too? I'm planning on adding boric acid soon, in case that helps indicate which levels I need to adjust.

OK, it took long enough but finally dissolved all the CYA. We are sitting at FC of 4 ppm and still have pH of 7.4. Have not retested my TA (120) or CH (160) in a couple days.

I know I should bump up this pH with Borax but my TA seems quite high. The pool store had my spouse add in TA increaser a few weeks ago, we were previously at 95 and they told us to aim for 125-150. Should I ignore the TA level and bump the PH up? Or should I leave the pH alone too? I'm planning on adding boric acid soon, in case that helps indicate which levels I need to adjust.
Hey! Don't bump the pH. Any pH in the 7s is just fine. pH will rise over time. When pH rises to 8, lower it back to 7.4 with Muratic acid. You can generally ignore TA, 120 is fine. As your pH rises and you lower again with Muriatic, your TA will come down over time, and the need to add acid will lessen as the TA is lowered.

Why do you want to add boric acid? Lowering your TA will have a larger affect on rising pH than adding borates. I would wait on the boric acid until you get your TA down to 60-80.

My TA is 60 and my pool SITS at 7.4. I have SWCG. If I raise my pH, it will REVERT to 7.4!

Did you do this? -->
Chlorinate NOW for CYA level of 40, you may have 10-20 in the pool already and need to have enough FC to sanitize. Levels are here (click the link) --> FC/CYA Chart This higher level will protect from algae.

What was your target for CYA? 30? Did you retest CYA? At 30 CYA, you want to have a minimum FC of 3 and a target of 4-6. For now, I would keep it at the high end until you learn how much FC is consumed daily. I'm in Ohio, and with heat, sun and swimmers I can use 4.5-5.5 daily. If you are at 4, really easy to slip below minimum of 3 and boom, algae.

What was your target for CYA? 30? Did you retest CYA? At 30 CYA, you want to have a minimum FC of 3 and a target of 4-6. For now, I would keep it at the high end until you learn how much FC is consumed daily. I'm in Ohio, and with heat, sun and swimmers I can use 4.5-5.5 daily. If you are at 4, really easy to slip below minimum of 3 and boom, algae.
Yes - I added chlorine, as of this morning was sitting at a FC of 4. The last of the CYA just dissolved this morning so I was planning to test it tonight and tomorrow morning. Copy, when I add chlorine tonight I'll shoot for at least 7 unless the CYA test indicates I need a higher range according to the chart.

I wasn't planning borates for pH control, moreso just for the feel and look of the water. I would definitely not add these until my TA and pH are in the ideal ranges.

I would get your FC up now. You will have FC demand during the day and you could easily go below 3 and algae comes pretty quick.
Yep, the sun is like the IRS. You’re required to pay your chlorine tax every day and you will be punished if you let your bank account run out.

Except when you run out of chlorine, you get more green vs the IRS leaving you with less green.

Concur with “get FC up asap” comments. I’ve been TFPing for only 4 months. But it it works, and all my non-TFP DIY friends are getting algae. My pool is crystal clear. The common thread: they are reluctant to get that FC up up up!

It’s ok! Do it! Otherwise the algae gremlins are salivating at your pool, just waaaaaiting for a chink in the low-FC-armor!!!

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.