First test results/Next steps

diananr

Gold Supporter
Oct 15, 2012
Loomis, CA
We finally finished our in ground plaster pool. We had a pool guy help with the chemicals and start up for the first 30 days, and now he is done. I’m glad because he wasn’t that informative. In retrospect, that was a waste of money.

Our pool fill was June 23, white plaster finish.

Here are my first test results using TF-100 (current temp 97, pool water temp 86)

FC 1 (I did both the Taylor K1000 and the drop test)
PH 7.2 (last night this was way over 8.2, I suspect pool guy added MA)
CH 150 (pool guy said he added some today, not sure what chemical)
TA 60
CYA >0, <20
Salt 3600
by drop test, 3150 reading on intellichlor

Pool guy added CYA this morning in the skimmer, I’m not sure if the CYA number will come up as it dissolves.

Feels like first thing to tackle is FC and CYA? I’m thinking of bringing chlorine up to 3ppm and adding more CYA. But thinking that I should move CYA up slowing to not overshoot? My thoughts are FC in the 3-5 range and CYA in the 70-80 range, as per TFP “recommended levels” chart.

I need to go buy some chemicals. I thought the pool guy would wrap up with lots of useful info, including a list of chemicals to have on hand, but not to be.

So, I’m thinking I’ll need:
Chlorine (have 4 gallons in the garage)
Muriatic Acid
Calcium chloride/calcium chloride dihydrate
CYA

Am I on track? Missing anything?

Thanks in advance for help!
Diana

What is your fill water pH, TA and CH?

With a cartridge filter, it may take some time before the CYA dumped in the skimmer shows up. I suppose he did not tell you how much he dumped in.
You do need chlorine. Are you using the SWCG yet?

You may find you will need to add some baking soda. The pool guy was dumping large amounts of MA at once and thus your TA is getting to the point you may need to add some.

So your CH will increase a bit from your fill water as you replace water due to evaporation.

It is doubtful he added enough CYA to raise it all that much as your pool is very large. I would say add 30 ppm CYA worth of granules using the sock method. Then assume you have 50 ppm for your FC/CYA Levels. Test the CYA in a week and see what has finally dissolved in the filter.

You can add some calcium chloride to raise your CH to 200 ppm. Your fill water TA should let that rise once you quit adding slugs of acid like the pool person was doing.

Are you running your pump/SWCG 24/7?

I'm sorry Marty, I'm not following. If my fill water CH is 50, how will my current CH of 150 increase as the autofill adds more CH at 50?

Will use the sock method on CYA.

Will find some calcium chloride and aim to get CH to 200.

We are only running pump/SWG from 7am - 6pm. We had it going 24/7 for the first week, then our pool guy cut it back. Do you suggest running 24/7?

If water is evaporating it’s not taking calcium with it. It leaves it behind. Fill water adds more calcium.

Let’s say your fill water has 100 ppm. Your pool has 100ppm. When it has evaporated 50%, and you add more water, that 100ppm of calcium is still in there, PLUS the calcium just added by the refill. Then you have 150 ppm of calcium.

So if your fill water is 50 ppm, every time your pool volume evaporates and you refill (over time), you add 50ppm to the pool.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.