First test done. Get me off to a good start.

Jul 1, 2017
Cedar Park/Texas
Just got my test kit TF-100 on Friday. Had a company maintain it for the first month as i got moved in. In their four visits they shocked and put stabilizer in almost every visit. Also previous owner and this new company used chlorinator with tabs and floating tabs dispenser in the pool. I plan to stop using tabs going forward due to high CYA concern as I read more of the site.

Test results:
PH- 7.2
FC = 8
CC = 1/2
TC = 8.5
CH = 250
TA = 100
CYA = 70

Please help me to get off to a good start.

-David

Welcome to TFP :)

Those numbers don't look bad considering the potential for higher CYA due to puck use. You'll want to switch to liquid chlorine moving forward to prevent further CYA rise unless of course you want to switch to SWG.

great job at getting a great test kit and taking control. And the water is clear now with those numbers? I'd say you're in a good place then.

Test results:
PH- 7.2
FC = 8
CC = 1/2
TC = 8.5
CH = 250
TA = 100
CYA = 70

Okay David, not bad at all. CYA a bit on the high side, but just fine for us in TX with lots of hot sun. :sun: I see nothing very alarming there. Just continue to watch the FC to ensure it doesn't drop too low based on that CYA of 70. Always refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). I always keep a small arsenal of HEB's regular Bravo bleach on hand, but Walmart's Great Value is fine as well. Also ensure the pH doesn't drop any lower than 7.2 for the health of your plaster unless you are dropping it low on purpose for some specific reason. Enjoy this hot weekend. :swim:

Okay so i just did the weekly test as suggested and I went from FC 8 to a 0. When I drop the power in and mix it stays clear. I stoped using the chloronator and floating tab dispenser.

Is it possible for the FC to drop this quickly in a week?
How do i resolve?
How often should I be adding chlorine now that im not using tabs?
I have 3 X clorox bleach 6% on hand and can get some liquid chlorine at 10% from Walmart tomorrow.

I did add some water to raise the level about 1.5 inches.

Results:
FC = 0
ch = 300
TA = 100
CYA = 70
PH = 7.2

Ugh, sorry this happened. Have you been adding any bleach at all since you stopped using the pucks? Until you have a feel for it, you should be testing FC daily... I have a feel, and I still test daily anyway.

You need to get your FC back to 8-10 and maintain it there. According to PoolMath, you need to add 520 oz. of 6% bleach to get your FC back to 10. Not sure how big those jugs are you already have? You'll need more to maintain it, so definitely go get some more when you're able.

I'd also then measure your CC, and you might also want to perform an OCLT to see if your 0 FC has allowed anything to take hold.

Yup daily checking will be required until I get the hang of it.

I have three bleech at 6% 121 oz each.

Pool math says I need 3.4 jugs to reach FC=8.

I guess Ill put what I have in and retest in the morning and grab some 10% liquid chlorine.

Thanks for the help

Good luck - and to answer your question re: how fast FC can go... even with your high CYA, you could easily eat through 8 FC in a couple days (possibly even a single day), so it's not surprising to see FC of 0 if you didn't add anything since discontinuing the pucks / floater...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.