First Test and What is Next?

Burgessb76

Aug 18, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Moved from here.
Just joined TFP and used my Taylor K-2006 test kit for the first time. Completed all the recommendations (muriatic acid, liquid bleach, and liquid stabilizer), how long do I wait to retest or am I missing anything else?043C2501-CA69-48D0-9D23-8378CBEE7C37.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved from here.
Just joined TFP and used my Taylor K-2006 test kit for the first time. Completed all the recommendations (muriatic acid, liquid bleach, and liquid stabilizer), how long do I wait to retest or am I missing anything else?View attachment 159285

Test again tomorrow. With chlorine that low, it's very possible you have some algae. Be prepared to SLAM if you see any signs.

Welcome to TFP.
Read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and FC/CYA Levels
It is not clear how much chemicals you added and in what time frame.
FC is most critical to prevent algae growth. Work on that first.
With adding MA you will lower both pH and TA. Don't go too low on your pH. Monitor the pH as you can deal with the TA over time.
You don't indicate if you have a SWG or use liq. Chlorine to sanitize. Your CYA target states 30-60 (based on how you set up your pool in Pool Math app) and you are at 30 so you do not need to add much stabilizer to move it a little. Best to do it in stages so you don't overshoot your target. A lower CYA means you may consume a little more Chlorine but that is better than overshooting the CYA and having to drain part of your pool water to lower CYA.

To help share your Pool Math logs, go to Settings (the gear icon) then move to bottom and under Sharing slide the button to ON to "Link from TroubleFreePool.com user profile" This way we can see your test results without you having to screen shot them (but that is still OK). If you log your chemical additions then we can see what you added and when to provide you recommendations on next steps.

Keep us informed and others will chime in.

In the future, don't add chlorine and acid within 30 minutes of each other.

How did you get a pH of 9? You said you tested with K-2006 but it only reads up to 8.0.
Since it took 11 drops of R-0005, Table E in the treatment guide converted 11 drops to 2.86qt (10 drops) + 9.16oz (1 drop). Using 8 pH, the pool math recommended a much lower dose of MA. So I adjusted the pH number in the pool math until it matched the Table E recommendation of MA. Probably should of just left it at 8?

Welcome to TFP.
Read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and FC/CYA Levels
It is not clear how much chemicals you added and in what time frame.
FC is most critical to prevent algae growth. Work on that first.
With adding MA you will lower both pH and TA. Don't go too low on your pH. Monitor the pH as you can deal with the TA over time.
You don't indicate if you have a SWG or use liq. Chlorine to sanitize. Your CYA target states 30-60 (based on how you set up your pool in Pool Math app) and you are at 30 so you do not need to add much stabilizer to move it a little. Best to do it in stages so you don't overshoot your target. A lower CYA means you may consume a little more Chlorine but that is better than overshooting the CYA and having to drain part of your pool water to lower CYA.

To help share your Pool Math logs, go to Settings (the gear icon) then move to bottom and under Sharing slide the button to ON to "Link from TroubleFreePool.com user profile" This way we can see your test results without you having to screen shot them (but that is still OK). If you log your chemical additions then we can see what you added and when to provide you recommendations on next steps.

Keep us informed and others will chime in.
Thanks for the feedback, didn’t realize I could share the logs but just changed that option in settings. I added 212oz of 14.5% MA, 49oz of 10% bleach, and 52oz of stabilizer. Yesterday, MA was first, then chlorine an hour later, and then the stabilizer this morning.

Follow the SLAM Process

Check your pH first. When you test a high pH, use 8 in Poolmath as Current and lower the pH in stages.

Do not add any more stabilizer. Start with a SLAM level FC based on your tested CYA plus what you have added. You can test the CYA again in a few days.

And hopefully you added the stabilizer using the sock method. If so, pull the sock so you are not adding any more before you SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Follow the SLAM Process

Check your pH first. When you test a high pH, use 8 in Poolmath as Current and lower the pH in stages.

Do not add any more stabilizer. Start with a SLAM level FC based on your tested CYA plus what you have added. You can test the CYA again in a few days.

I started the SLAM process and just wanted to confirm, FC is the only test I do throughout SLAM process to ensure it maintains the SLAM FC level? I had a high pH level but got it to 7.4 before starting the SLAM,I know it’s early but still seeing the yellow stain spots that showed up a week ago (which prompted me to join TFP and get the test kit).

Only FC for now. Brush the areas well that you say are stained. If they will not brush off, we may have you try a couple things later.

Reactions: Burgessb76
Only FC for now. Brush the areas well that you say are stained. If they will not brush off, we may have you try a couple things later.
I’m struggling with the SLAM process. Started the night of 8/23 and been testing 5 times x day. Last 2 nights went from FC 15 to 11 and last night 14 to 8. The water has been clear, the yellow algae has cleaned up a lot and all but gone——if I’m being picky, I think there is still just a little remnants remaining. Maybe my CYA test was off or pH wasn’t right in the beginning? I took the cartridge filters out 2 days ago and cleaned by soaking in MA/water.

Stabilizer (CYA) does not filter out. You have to drain the pool and add fresh water to lower it quickly.

Your SLAM level FC is 28ppm if the stabilizer you added raised the CYA to 70 ppm. You should be able to test the CYA level today or tomorrow to confirm.

Moved from here.
Just joined TFP and used my Taylor K-2006 test kit for the first time. Completed all the recommendations (muriatic acid, liquid bleach, and liquid stabilizer), how long do I wait to retest or am I missing anything else?View attachment 159285
Update: Since my original post, I successfully slammed the pool and also took a few inches of water off b/c the CYA was on the high end of the threshold. A couple questions if someone can assist:
1.) I’ve gathered from reading Pool School that liquid chlorine is recommended over pucks due to pucks raising CYA over time. Is liquid chlorine basically a daily task as my FC levels drop every day? Do I just rely on the pool math to find the average amount to add daily?

2.) My pH tests high, I add MA, it goes back down, 2 days later the pH is back up to 8.0. Is MA a daily task as well along with the liquid chlorine (add separately of course)?

Update: Since my original post, I successfully slammed the pool and also took a few inches of water off b/c the CYA was on the high end of the threshold. A couple questions if someone can assist:
1.) I’ve gathered from reading Pool School that liquid chlorine is recommended over pucks due to pucks raising CYA over time. Is liquid chlorine basically a daily task as my FC levels drop every day? Do I just rely on the pool math to find the average amount to add daily?

2.) My pH tests high, I add MA, it goes back down, 2 days later the pH is back up to 8.0. Is MA a daily task as well along with the liquid chlorine (add separately of course)?
For Liquid Chlorine, it is a daily task, because you constantly lose CL ppm to sunlight and whatever bacteria that may enter the pool. Once you understand your pool and see some consistency then adding a set volume every day may be doable then test every several days to ensure that you are on track. But be cautious, don't get complacent, once algae starts then you have to take back control. If you know that your pool is consuming 3ppm a day (sunlight, bacteria, etc.) then you can use Pool Math to give you the volume of LC to add daily to put it back to proper level. But with weather changes, pool use, etc. you really need to be watchful that you remain on target.

Your second point on MA or more specifically - why is your pH increasing? Have you tested your fill water - does that have high pH? Are you adding Borax as that increases pH? Are you doing a lot of aeration, such as waterfall, kids splashing, even brushing the pool - anything that is causing bubbles in the pool as that increases pH? You don't have a SWG so that is not adding to the increase in pH. Adding MA daily is not usually normal and maybe some others have some ideas or if you have any feedback on the questions that may be raising your pH.

1. Adding chlorine is a daily task. From about April to October for you. You will determine when you can adjust that. You do rely on daily testing and PoolMath until you learn your pool. Then you will likely be able to just add a certain amount of chlorine each day and test every other or third day. Many that have done this for some time find they can look at the pool water and know something is not right.
2. In the summer, with your fill water due to evaporation, you will add MA often. Your very high TA is what is driving the pH up so fast right now. Work that TA down to 70 ppm or less and your pH will calm down. I add MA about every 4 days during the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.