First test after drain, refill, and switch to SWG

Your CH last you showed is 250 ppm. So scale is not likely

Just manage pH in the 7's. Test pH at least twice a week during swim season.

Reactions: FSDpool
I clearly don't know much about gunite but with my FG I too have high alkalinity (150) but my PH stays pretty consistent and only add a little acid every week. I was told to not worry much about it as long as my PH isn't swinging wildly. I am now taking an approach of I'll get it down over time by adding acid. Then of course it'll go back up because my top off water has 350 ppm of alkalinity. Whataya going to do🤷‍♂️

Reactions: FSDpool
Sandy Utah will use fill water constantly during swim season. Decatur IN typically gets rain, thus little fill water is needed. That is the difference in how one has to manage pH.

Sandy Utah will use fill water constantly during swim season. Decatur IN typically gets rain, thus little fill water is needed. That is the difference in how one has to manage pH.
I keep my auto cover on when not in pool for safety (2 small kids) and to keep stuff from blowing in all of the time. I'd like to leave it open during a rain but unfortunately when we get rain we get torrential down pours and 40-50 mph winds. Never a happy medium. I've watched your video on TA and PH and really have wanted to let rain water fill for me but not sure it outweighs the other factors. I do get some even with it on.

Reactions: mknauss
I keep my auto cover on when not in pool for safety (2 small kids) and to keep stuff from blowing in all of the time. I'd like to leave it open during a rain but unfortunately when we get rain we get torrential down pours and 40-50 mph winds. Never a happy medium.
Have you considered setting up a rain barrel ? You could use that to control the flow of rainwater as fill for the pool when you need or want it.

Assuming you have gutters you could set up rain barrels to collect runoff from the downspouts and route (by hose) the storm water it collects to the pool. That would allow you to take advantage of the rain while managing the flow and still protecting the pool from debris with the auto-cover on.

Reactions: rcs29
Assuming you have gutters you could set up rain barrels to collect runoff from the downspouts and route (by hose) the storm water it collects to the pool. That would allow you to take advantage of the rain while managing the flow and still protecting the pool from debris with the auto-cover on.
I've seen that mentioned here before yeah. Don't think that'd work in my situation though.

I like the idea but rain a barrel seems like another body of water to manage, otherwise it'd risk bacteria etc, not to mention all the debris it'd pick up in my instance like pine needles, leaves, dirt, and whatever else from my asphalt shingles & roofing gutter system. Possibly a good solution for someone, but def not in my case either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.