First Swim

Okay thank you for the help. I’m gonna let it go overnight and hope the PH settles by morning.

And updated my sig with what I know so far, so much to learn!
A new plaster pool will need regular additions of Muriatic to reduce pH. As the plaster cures 6-12 months, the pH rise will lessen.

What test kit did you order?

Just wanted to give an update, the PH did drop a bit and we swam all weekend. But PH is back up to 8+ again.

My Taylor 2005 just came in and my first test was CYA. It might as well have been a 0 reading, but I do know they had added some when the pool opened so not sure what's going on now.

What should setting should I dial in first, then second, etc?

8 PH (maybe more, it's more purple than even the scale)
0 Total Chlorine (my cheaper test kit did show 1ish ppm)
0 Free Chlorine
0 CYA
40 TA
220 Calcium

As a reminder this is a new pool, plastered 6/7, filled 6/8. They added some startup chems, not sure exactly. I added 1 gallon of muratic on 6/9, and PH dropped into high 7s but then has gone backup.

Right now I have 3x 3" chlorine tabs in the skimmer. I've added a few cups of chlorine granules over the weekend as well.

Water looks great right now, but I know it won't for long with these numbers.

Take the tabs out of the skimmer. They are very acidic and can damage skimmer and equipment. If you must use them, get a floater.

Did you get the startup guide from the pool builder? He has to be doing a traditional startup given these results.
Has he told you what to do next? Or what he is going to do next?

Take the tabs out of the skimmer. They are very acidic and can damage skimmer and equipment. If you must use them, get a floater.

Did you get the startup guide from the pool builder? He has to be doing a traditional startup given these results.
Has he told you what to do next? Or what he is going to do next?

Nope, nothing from them. I have “pool school” on Wednesday. Will it be okay till then?

You/we are in a pickle. I don't want to have you do something against the PB wishes that would invalidate any warranty you have with him. I also know, that if you get algae, you cannot SLAM the pool for 30 days (killing algae).

Let's get @mknauss and/or @JoyfulNoise to weigh in...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fine, but odd advice, as with the sun, you likely are going to use your FC rapidly. He said "no need" but didn't say don't add?

Use Pool Math to calculate what to add...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

I would add liquid chlorine. Add 3ppm and keep it there, even if you have to check and replace a couple times a day. We want your pool to keep FC and ward of any algae.

Reduce your pH in .4ppm increments to get it down to about 7.6. Reduce by .4, pump running, test 30 minutes later, rinse repeat. Stop when you get to 7.4-7.6. You should then test this daily, when gets to 8 again, and add muriatic to bring it down. Do it in .4 increments.

Wait 15 minutes between the additions of muriatic and chlorine.

Reactions: mknauss
Pour the acid and chlorine in a pencil thin stream over a return. Brush around a bit including the bottom. 15 minutes between additions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.