Fairfax, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hey all- I am converting to SWG and curious what are pool opening steps to ensure a smooth transition? Welcome feedback / tips on anything ranging from equipment settings to water balancing. Thanks all!

Hey all- I am converting to SWG and curious what are pool opening steps to ensure a smooth transition? Welcome feedback / tips on anything ranging from equipment settings to water balancing. Thanks all!
1) Keep chlorinating with Liquid Chlorine until the SWCG is up and running. Maintain FC/CYA ratio for your CYA...Link-->FC/CYA Levels
2) Add salt, but TEST YOUR CURRENT SALT LEVEL BEFORE ADDING SALT...you may be surprised how much salt you already have.
3) Add salt in increments. Use K1766 salt test kit. Use a speed stir to get accurate results. If you don't have speed stir or K1766, order them today.
4) Make sure your SWCG is OFF while you add salt and for 24-48 hours after dissolving salt. Run your pump to make sure it is mixed.
5) When you hit your salt target (SWCG Manual target using K1766 results), fire that bad boy up.
6) Adjust your pump runtime and SWCG %, using pool math to match your daily FC consumption / FC / CYA targets.
7) Sit back and enjoy the Magic!

1) Keep chlorinating with Liquid Chlorine until the SWCG is up and running. Maintain FC/CYA ratio for your CYA...Link-->FC/CYA Levels
2) Add salt, but TEST YOUR CURRENT SALT LEVEL BEFORE ADDING SALT...you may be surprised how much salt you already have.
3) Add salt in increments. Use K1766 salt test kit. Use a speed stir to get accurate results. If you don't have speed stir or K1766, order them today.
4) Make sure your SWCG is OFF while you add salt and for 24-48 hours after dissolving salt. Run your pump to make sure it is mixed.
5) When you hit your salt target (SWCG Manual target using K1766 results), fire that bad boy up.
6) Adjust your pump runtime and SWCG %, using pool math to match your daily FC consumption.
7) Sit back and enjoy the Magic!
Awesome! Thank you!

Reactions: PoolStored
K1766 test is giving some weird results. It goes from yellowish at 2 drops to brownish at 3 drops. Which leads me to believe my current salt levels are between 4000 to 6000 ppm. Does this seem high given I haven’t added any salt yet? The owners manual for the pentair intellichlor IC-60 is saying I should be ideally at 3600 ppm, which means I would need to drain 33% and refill my pool. This seems off…any thoughts or advice?

Wow, I wish my last post was not forever in print on the internet. Thanks for correcting my simple math error. Thank you!

Should I be targeting water levels as prescribed on this site? Or follow the ranges in the owners manual of the SWG?

Should I be targeting water levels as prescribed on this site? Or follow the ranges in the owners manual of the SWG?
Here.
It goes from yellowish at 2 drops to brownish at 3 drops.
Is there any change with more drops ? Mine goes 'brownish' and then a drop or 3 later it goes brick red. Some see salmon instead of brick.

Brick/salmon is the end point. Keep adding drops until there’s no further change.
The range for salt 🧂 in your swg’s manual is what will make it happy so that’s your salt target 🎯 creep up on that target as to not overshoot (add 1/2 or 3/4 of what
PoolMath says, let it circulate 24hrs, retest, repeat - before turning on the swg.
For the rest you want to follow
👇
&
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Sidemoves
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.