Jul 5, 2022
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone!

My husband and I are first time pool owners. We just purchased a new house in Dallas, TX. The previous owner invited us over to show us how he maintained the pool. He was using 2-3 chlorine pucks a week and recommended a weekly "shock" in the summer using what I believe is granulated chlorine (unsure, I did not investigate at the time). My husband and I feel fortunate that we found this website the first week of ownership of the house and decided to adopt the Trouble Free Pool method. We immediately ordered the Taylor 2006-C test kit and purchased liquid chlorine and dry acid. Unfortunately after moving in we discovered algae on the grout lines of the pool and in the fountains (water features) which the previous owners had partially filled with river rock for decor. We started our SLAM according to all of the recommendations on this website (pump running 24/7, vaccuuming & brushing, etc). I removed all of the rocks from the water features as they were coated with algae on the undersides.

The pool is a 9,500 gallon plaster pool. We have a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter. I am unsure about the pump.

Here were our numbers before we started the SLAM.

CYA: 90
CH: 360
TA: 80
pH: 7.7
CC: 0.4
FC: 4.4

On 7/7 in the evening, I added 11 oz of dry acid to bring down the pH to 7.2 before beginning the SLAM. We began the SLAM the morning of 7/8. I know it is not recommended to attempt a SLAM at such a high CYA level, however the thought of doing a partial drain on the pool was too daunting within the first few days of pool ownership with absolutely zero experience regarding the pool equipment.

We were very diligent 7/8-7/11 to keep the FC level at or slightly above 35. Yesterday on 7/12 at 6:30 AM the FC was at 36.5. We decided to not add anymore bleach that morning as I wanted to perform the OCLT and I feel like the higher the FC level the more difficult it is to be certain the water has turned absolutely colorless in the FC test. On 7/12 at 9 PM the FC was 23.5. We did not run the pump overnight. This morning the FC was still 23.5 with no loss of chlorine overnight! However we performed the CC test this morning for the first time since pre-SLAM and the CC level was 2.0. The pool did have a chlorine smell this morning as well. I know that is a criteria for passing the SLAM, so this morning we added a whole gallon of bleach to bring us back up to the SLAM level.

I am just posting to get some affirmation that we should continue the course. We are starting to lose faith that we will ever get to enjoy the pool at our new house! The only thing I can think of is that we have not cleaned the filters. I think this is the next step however to make sure we complete the SLAM. Is there a walk-through guide on how to clean cartridge filters somewhere on the website? Any advice that you can give for those with zero previous pool knowledge? How much longer do you think our SLAM will take?

Welcome to the forum! Great job in getting started.

Do not use dry acid. It is detrimental to plaster and metals. Use muriatic acid.

The CC test at high FC levels is problematic. Do you pass the Crystal Clear water parameter?

Clean the cartridges when the filter pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.

Also -- You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Yes, the water appears crystal clear. We have not seen any algae in the pool since we scrubbed it off on 7/8. The water does not appear cloudy at all to me.

Thank you for the note about the acid. We can use muriatic acid moving forward. We do not have a baseline filter pressure recorded. The previous owner did tell us he cleaned the filter every 3 months and the filters are due for a cleaning this month.

Great.
Clean the test vial well with rubbing alcohol. High FC testing can leave a residue that messes with the CC test.

Clean the filters. Get a baseline pressure.

So husband & I began cartridge cleaning process tonight. Upon the disassembly of the filter, we discovered the drain plug had been stripped/overtightened. He is unable to reattach the drain plug at the bottom of the filter. There are no replacement parts within 50 miles. We have already ordered the part, but it will not arrive until Monday.

Is there anything we can do at this point? Can we bypass the filter somehow and just run the pump to continue circulation? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• E6039E67-9DA4-4C90-942F-3ACB884B76A8.jpeg
    E6039E67-9DA4-4C90-942F-3ACB884B76A8.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 98E0ED75-12C8-47B8-8F53-8C155326ECC9.jpeg
    98E0ED75-12C8-47B8-8F53-8C155326ECC9.jpeg
    617.9 KB · Views: 19
  • A7D13D3F-3234-4F48-89D2-8A3CB8959755.jpeg
    A7D13D3F-3234-4F48-89D2-8A3CB8959755.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 19
  • 39B32138-4AAD-4677-881D-00FA090995C0.jpeg
    39B32138-4AAD-4677-881D-00FA090995C0.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 24
  • D4D433FC-37B9-48F4-8560-E89B0D8D7914.jpeg
    D4D433FC-37B9-48F4-8560-E89B0D8D7914.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 044C63EC-9DFD-4591-8495-5D7F45BF296D.jpeg
    044C63EC-9DFD-4591-8495-5D7F45BF296D.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 24
Unfortunately you don't have a recirculate valve. The 3-way valve in front of the filter looks like a convenient way to pump water to waste, but not back to the pool. You may want to increase the FC level and manually brush it around for now. If you have a separate sump pump or something you could use that to help move water around a bit.

Just thinking out loud and it‘s difficult for me to tell from the picks. Is that a feature pump or pressure side cleaner pump that is separate from the main pump? How does it pull water and return it to the pool? Is it possible to use it to recirculate water without the filter in the loop as a temporary measure to keep some circulation up?

You might see if your local hardware store has a marine plug that you could use temporarily to plug the hole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: was able to locate replacement part this morning from Pinch A Penny. Last night I was going off on online inventory only. We attached the new drain plug and have a baseline filter pressure of 9!

The pool has been circulating since 11 AM and I just brought it back up to SLAM level after a thorough brushing. I noticed on Thursday when I was brushing that there were “poofs” of algae so I know we need to continue the SLAM and the previous pass of the OCLT test on Tuesday was a fluke.

LakePlacid - I am uncertain about all of the piping. This is obviously something I will investigate in the future. We just moved into the house so on top of wrangling the pool maintenance we are doing the typical moving things as well.

Thankful for this forums support!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.