Davey_crocket

Nov 3, 2019
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hi Guys,

Just starting my first slam on the pool we inherited a few months ago with a house purchase.

Most of the pre slam numbers look ok, SWCG easily keeping up, CC 0.5 or 0 for the last few years. BUT we have been getting a brown cloudy layer growing on the bottom and steps. It vanishes when disturbed (goes puff). Takes about 3 days to be obvious.

Starting CYA is 70 after a small drain and refill. Would have done more but I have no main drain so its just the skimmer.

Starting FC was 8. SWCG is now turned off. 12.5% liquid chlorine added at 1pm targeting 28. Just sampled and came in at 20 6 hours later. Added the rest of a 5L bottle and will test again in an hour to see where that gets us.

Ps This is the first time using liquid chlorine from Bunnings for me and I am a bit dubious on how much of that 12.5% is left...

The SLAM Process works, so just make sure to follow those instructions and you'll do fine. Leave no area of your pool untouched for brushing. For chlorine, continue to use the PoolMath tool (or APP) to help you with dosage amounts. Stick with the SLAM until you pass all 3 criteria and you should do fine. Good luck!

I figured out the 5L jug of chlorine from Bunnings was running about half strength. Used the last of it and got a new 15L drum of 12.5% (also Bunnings but better date code). Now hitting target better.

Any Aussies have tips on pouring from the 15L drums? It's quite an awkward task and spills down the side of the container.

Oh also I have noticed that since going to SLAM levels my FC test tube never turns completely clear. It goes pink, light pink and ends up ever so slightly orange/brown?
Can you refresh my memory on the Clear Choice products used for the higher FC testing? In our TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, we have R-0870 powder followed by the R-0871 drops. Is yours the same?

Ok so o thought my SLAM was almost complete.... but maybe not.

Water has been clean the entire time, bottom & step looked to be staying clean too.

OCLT was 1.5 last night, I didn't top up this morning as i wanted to try the OCLT tonight at lower FC due to the accuracy at high fc.

Got home and the brown fluffy stuff is on the bottom again! Back up to high FC i go.

Will upload a pic and vid of the fluffy stuff once I figure out how to compress it small enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are at the "worst" part of the SLAM.............the finish up. No real BIG progress can be seen at this point. Now it is making sure you got ALL of the yuck out. I would do a back wash of your sand filter to see if that helps a bit.

Have you taken the light out and clean behind it? Are you brushing every day?

You are SO close!! Do NOT stop! You can do it!

Kim:kim:

Davey, I go back to TFP basics when a SLAM seems to drag-on more than normal....
- Leave no places to chance; inspect clean in, on, and behind everything.
- If it's been a while, you might re-test the CYA to ensure the FC and CYA are balanced at the proper SLAM levels. FC/CYA Levels
- Not passing the OCLT is one thing for sure. But the brown stuff .... not light green at all? Any chance the brown is residual junk from all the fires settling in the area?
- Do you test the FC 10-15 min after adding the daily SLAM dose to see if you actually made it to the proper FC (SLAM) level? Sometimes chlorine is weak from the local store and what you thought was strong actually wasn't hitting the target.

Just some things to consider. Hope you crack the code soon.

Hi Ted, thanks for the advice.

I do have one place I can't get into to clean which is that 1 blocked return line from my post a month ago or so. Its still blocked as the pool was circulating well without it and I haven't had a chance to try again clearing it.

I don't test the FC after every addition (sometimes rushing to get to work) but it is all from the same 15L container so the other tests suggest it is good.

I'll pull the light back out and clean behind it again.

Will do another cya test, tempted to replace some water and lower it anyway, counting to 56 drops is painful.

Its so frustrating because otherwise the pool is crystal clear!

Oh and lucky enough to be well north of the fires and the smoke is being blown the other way!

I think I have been going to far with cya test.

I just put the 50CYA standard in the tube to the 50 line. I can see way more of the little chem flask than I expected!

Going to do a backflush, top up and then retest CYA.

As a new user of the same test kit, I too am finding the CYA test to be the most challenging and as I’m also in SLAM process, it’s the one test you don’t get to practice all that much so I guess it’s going to take some time before it becomes as easy as the FC test to complete.

good luck

Well yesterday I pass the OCLT. In fact it went up 0.5ppm overnight, but at 40 drops for 20ppm that's probably within the margin of error. Let the chlorine come back down today.

Brushed the pool and there is a fine layer of brown coming up, but honestly I suspect it is fine dust. Doing another oclt tonight.

So im running a bit of an experiment with a bucket of pool water left out next to the pool. Hopefully the same brown stuff appears in it and I can drain off the water to see if it's algae or dust.

As a new user of the same test kit, I too am finding the CYA test to be the most challenging and as I’m also in SLAM process, it’s the one test you don’t get to practice all that much so I guess it’s going to take some time before it becomes as easy as the FC test to complete.

good luck
You can practice reading the same sample multiple times ..just tip it back in the test tube and re-pour into the viewing tube... i did read a tip here to mix your CYA sample as the first thing you do in the test set, make sure it's well mixed for 30 seconds as per instructions then just let it sit for a while, the turbidity doesn't seem to increase with time after the first minute or so, but doing it to quick can be not so good.

Reactions: Pavle

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.