Well, I have exactly the same problem and I'm in the process of a SLAM. I always wondered if it was bushfire related. But I think the consensus is no, it's algae, but could have been triggered by the ash. In my case, I didn't know about TFP so I didn't have proper CL levels. I wonder if the ash brought in lots of phosphates, which means with poor CL management, algae.

Regarding the test. I'm new too, but what I did was I went to the pool shop and then played with the kit hours later on the same sample. This allowed me to get comfortable with the levels. Especially CYA. From what I can tell, you have to just NOT see the black part of the flask. That is what put the level at par with my pool shop. Even when I didn't think I saw it, I looked down the top and realised I just could.

Regarding the other tests, suspect that my CA test was wrong. In my case, it was consistently 25% over actual value, including the reference sample. I've emailed Clear Choice to find out if this is normal. All other tests closely matched my pool shop.

I'm on day 2 of SLAM and the brown stuff still comes on my pool floor every 4 hours or so. I scrub, run vacuum robot, and backwash twice a day. The white milky liquid is intense. So I'm assuming this is a good sign. My CL consumption is about 4ppm per day, however, today is 30 in Sydney, so who knows how much is also because of the weather.

Attachments

• 20200125_101824.jpg
    20200125_101824.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 10
Every 4 hours or so definitely sounds like something growing. Mine was only coming back over the course of a few days. Also i wasnt getting any of the white milky dead algae that you are seeing.

The bucket test didn't grow any algae or dust. But passing two OCLT tests and crystal clear water it was time to call the SLAM done. I think what is left is either dust or nearby road fallout. It wouldn't be an issue if I had an automatic pool cleaner!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.