First SLAM Prep - Ready to get this Algae!

Looking forward to your pics and numbers in the morning.

Hi Lisa, the SLAM continues, was hoping I'd pass the OCLT overnight, but our FC went from 32.5 to 30, with still a little CC reading. I actually can't see the difference, but my wife's color vision is better ;) That's my challenge, when we're talking one drop, I'm having a hard time telling the difference...

Pool looks great, it's clear, the filter pressure is holding near the clean reading, so we're almost done. Check out the pics below, my Great Dane loves hanging out by the pool, regardless of our FC level. {Sorry they're sideways...}

Jeff

Attachments

• May 10th - 2.jpg
    May 10th - 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 99
  • May 10th - 3.jpg
    May 10th - 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 99
  • May 10th - 1.jpg
    May 10th - 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 99
Very nice. Great to see the progress and someone that really has a desire to learn how their pool chemistry works.

I was shocked in the fall when I pulled my light out of the niche to close my pool. They black muck and dirt was unbelievable. Getting it a love the water also lets you do any required maintenance on the light. This year mine had some water in the housing so I need to replace the seal before re-installing and turning on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dan, pooldv,

I did shut off the fuse at the garage panel, and felt comfortable taking the light out now, but just couldn't get enough leverage to unscrew the housing, and decided that I'd take my chances that it wasn't that bad in there. I know I'm taking a risk that there might be algae in there, but since it was so tough to get it out, I'm pretty confident that it's water tight enough...

My SLAM is just about done, I'm hoping to pass the OCLT in the morning and will let everyone know and post new pics. The pool looks phenomenally clear, and more importantly, the filter is holding a fairly constant pressure now, meaning there is less algae clogging it up. My clean pressure is 16 and after running two days, it only climbed to 19, which was amazing. For the past year, I'd go a day or less before it would hit 32, so I'm thrilled. Now, I'll never let the FC get low again, will stop using pucks which raised my CYA to 120+, and won't be listening to the pool store anymore.

More to come, thanks all,
Jeff

mine was difficult to remove as well. I couldn't get the screw out from the deck, I had to jump in the water to get it done. yes, FC was at shock level, but I wasn't in there for long and showered after I got out. there is no seal between the fixture and the wall of the cavity, so no, its not waterproof. I would definitely get that light out to clean up when you can, even if its after your SLAM. you will be amazed what you find.

and congrats on the pool. looking very good. sounds like you are getting close!

mine was difficult to remove as well. I couldn't get the screw out from the deck, I had to jump in the water to get it done. yes, FC was at shock level, but I wasn't in there for long and showered after I got out. there is no seal between the fixture and the wall of the cavity, so no, its not waterproof. I would definitely get that light out to clean up when you can, even if its after your SLAM. you will be amazed what you find.

and congrats on the pool. looking very good. sounds like you are getting close!

Good points Dan and bdex, I hate to skip a piece, so I'll give it another shot.

Thanks, Jeff

How much does your dane weigh? I had one that was a rescue. He was 91lbs as his best weight but was still skinny due to his neglect before we got him. He was such a goofball! He died of a heart attack 6 months after we took him in. It was a good 6 months and I still miss him!

Kim

Update: The FC dropped 3.5ppm overnight, so the SLAM continues. I would've thought I'd be done now. I've been keeping the levels at 35 as much as possible, brushing the pool, cleaning the filters, etc, is there something that could cause the SLAM to take longer? Or is this average, it's been a week and a half.

I'm going to try to take the lights out today, that may be a factor. We haven't had much rain, but we should be getting some today/tomorrow, so I'll have to watch what that does to the levels.

Thanks, Jeff

Dan, bdex, and all,

I did take both lights out, spa and pool, and cleaned them. It was a bit of a pain to get the spa light out, and back in, but the pool light was actually pretty easy. Inside the housing a bunch of cloudy water came out and there was a green algae at the bottom of the housing, so I'm glad I did it. There was also a lot of pebble tec, I'm guessing from my low CH readings, and there were big pieces of plaster, probably from the installation. So I cleaned it out as best I could, so that should be set.

I'm going to give it another couple days and try the OCLT test again, hope to pass then.

Thanks for the nudge on the lights, hope it helps,
Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It PASSED!

I ran the OCLT last night and didn't lose any FC this morning! Less than .5 CC, and it's totally clear, SLAM complete. Now I can get on with enjoying the pool, Trouble Free this summer.

I'll write up a summary post for other newbies, in order to condense the last 2 weeks, but thanks again for everybody's help! My wife was a little weary when I told her this would fix our consistent algae problem, but after reading enough I was totally convinced.

Thanks, Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.